spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

edmariner

@electronicbox.net

[DSL] slow bittorrent download

with teksavvy i was getting 1 Mb/s now with ebox it's around 200 Kb/s (my speed test is 25.25 & 6.8) nothing changed on set-up (router/pc/utorrent) Bell modem is in bridge mode...... what gives?

ggtyh

join:2012-06-03
Chambly, QC

The speed on Biittorrent is directly connected to the number and quality of the peers you're downloading from.

Is your 200 kb/s download well seeded?

Nitra

join:2011-09-15
Montreal
reply to edmariner

Disable utp

edmariner

@electronicbox.net

the point i was trying to make was that when i switched to ebox downloads speeds went on a downward spiral .... ie i had a good set up before... inquiry is around what are your usual downloads speeds i fully understand that it varies but I've being downloading for several years so i know what to expect ... are u guys having the same download speed... is there something that needs to be specific for vdsl ... i was previous on cable.... i don't think is something on my side (it did work before) so i was wondering if there something else that needs to be done or that's it ... i feel it's weird that it is capped at 200 mb

SHY
0x27
Premium
join:2010-06-21
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
reply to edmariner

Shoulda stayed with cable......

BingoRingo

join:2010-03-29
Gatineau, QC
kudos:1
reply to edmariner

There should be no difference from Ebox's connection itself (unless of course, you bought a slower connection). What speed do you get from a speed test?

I have cable with Ebox and get full speed on properly seeded torrents.

edmariner

@electronicbox.net

download 25.23 upload 6.8

Nitra

Montreal
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

2 edits
reply to edmariner

Did you try to disable utp, also double check your mtu is at or under 1492 for DSL.
I use EB and I know personally many others that do, torrents are not an issue.

I don't use them myself but for the odd iso, but they're flawless. Friend of mine is a heavy user upstream and down, he gets full speed on Eb DSL.

There are fixes that can/will help, verify utp is off, it also can destroy your speed, verify you have a correct mtu, never saturate your upstream, if you do your down will take a hit. Add more threads/connections. 25 down you should take a solid 25-30 connections unless you have a slow hard drive.

I have seen some cogent peering limits threads to 200-500kb/sec, again adding threads will fix it. While not directly an Eb issue, there are fixes.

You may also need to reset the Sagemcom, they are a royal pos at the best of times. Maybe try it direct with the bridge disabled to verify where the issue is exactly.

edmariner

@electronicbox.net

thanks for the info.... after some tweaking i'm back at 1.3MB.
appreciated
cheers

BingoRingo

Gatineau, QC
reply to edmariner

said by edmariner :

download 25.23 upload 6.8

Sorry I just saw you posted the info in your original post...

internalaudi

join:2012-02-29
reply to edmariner

Because we are on Electronic Box and our IP addresses point to Quebec, can we use bittorrenting with impunity?

It's been awhile since I downloaded North American media files but was wondering if Quebec laws are different.

Many thanks in advance.

Nitra

Montreal

No, Google for a seedbox, torrents are dangerous on the whole from your home connection.

BingoRingo

Gatineau, QC
reply to internalaudi

If it is criminal, it is the same thing in all of Canada; if it's penal or a civil trial, it's different in every province (the province where you live, not where your ISP is).

LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
reply to edmariner

said by edmariner :

thanks for the info.... after some tweaking i'm back at 1.3MB.
appreciated
cheers

What was the problem, what did you change to solve the problem?

GuiGQc

join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC
reply to edmariner

Torrenting itself is not illegal. It's what you download that makes it illegal or not.

internalaudi

join:2012-02-29
reply to edmariner

Great. I will limit torrents to a few foreign media files then.

Thanks for letting me know it isn't safe, even in the beautiful province of Quebec. Now, I'm not sour grapes anymore.