Biet Noi Tieng Viet Khong?
join:2000-07-31
Dayton, OH
·Time Warner Cable

W8ASA

Time to switch to satellite?

Click for full size
Are you kidding me, Time Warner?
I pay Time Warner close to $300 per month, for phone, internet, and television. If I miss even ONE episode of BB15 or Dexter, I will get satellite installed. Screw Time Warner and their idiocy. They don't care at all about their customers. Check out my attached screen photo proving that the TWC employees lack even primary education.

perplexed
@comcast.net

3 recommendations

perplexed

Anon

TWC DOES care about their customers, hence the standoff against CBS. It's already bad enough when you start looking into how much TWC and all cable companies pay the broadcasters in order to carry their programming. Do you know how much the cost is per customer to carry Disney, or ESPN, or NBC, AMC, TBS...etc. etc. etc?? It's insane what these networks charge cable companies, and who pays for that? YOU do! If TWC didn't care about the consumer, there would be no extra pay channels, no rebate, no advice to use OTA antenna or streaming on other websites. That is ALL CBS. So when you miss Dexter, thank wonderful CBS for blocking a channel that you PAY extra to watch.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

1 recommendation

stvnbrs

Premium Member

Sorry,you are not convincing me. TWC has not shown that they care about anything more than money. Any savings seen will not be passed down to the customer. If content providers started charging TWC half next month, do you actually believe that TWC would start reducing customer bills? I doubt it. I have had several rate hikes this year already and this was the final piece that pushed my wife over the edge. Going to DirecTV, though I am still stuck with TW for internet.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to W8ASA

Premium Member

to W8ASA
Right! not like satellite TV has ever done this...
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to stvnbrs

Premium Member

to stvnbrs
You may not see the savings directly, but if Time Warner caved and simply paid CBS the 600% increase, you would see a price increase.

DirecTV will get hit with a massive increase when their contract expires. More likely than not they will make the exact same move TWC has and refuse to pay.
kd6cae
P2p Shouldn't Be A Crime
join:2001-08-27
Bakersfield, CA

1 recommendation

kd6cae to W8ASA

to W8ASA
I just used my access to Verizon wireless to watch the latest episode of big brother on cbs.com. I did this soly to prove that CBS blocking of their content that is otherwise available to other internet users in the US for free, benefits no one! And CBS forgets that not all TWC internet users are TWC TV subscribers, so why should they suffer if they want to watch a show they may have missed or want to watch again?
Sure, I used a good chunk of my data watching that video, I'm not sure what the bitrate of CBS.com video streams are, but it felt good knowing that I did something CBS clearly doesn't want me to do, that being watch their content despite being a user of TWC internet.

W8ASA
Dayton, OH
·Time Warner Cable

W8ASA

Rebate? How Much? I asked TWC rep and...

she had no idea at all, and had to ask a supervisor to even find out what I was talking about. Time Warner is blocking channels for which I pay EXTRA every month! I blame both companies, but TW is my provider, so they get most of the blame automatically because they are the ones who cut off the access.

CaptainRR
Premium Member
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH

CaptainRR to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco

Re: Time to switch to satellite?

I had friends get hit with a blackout on Dish last year in the middle of football season with CBS out of Columbus, OH. Satellite is not a alternative.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

1 recommendation

Snakeoil to W8ASA

Premium Member

to W8ASA
Dish is in a fee dispute with Raycom media. Raycom media has stations that transmit CBS, Fox, The CW. In various areas of the country. In my market , it's CBS and The CW station that were pulled from Dish's lineup.

So the mini satellite isn't the way to go either, as I suspect Direct TV also gets into Fee fights.

Now the larger dish satellites, just might be the way to go. My Father in law had one, until a Tornado destroyed it. But it was interesting because of the hundreds of stations he received from around the world.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

3 recommendations

Camelot One to W8ASA

MVM

to W8ASA

Re: Rebate? How Much? I asked TWC rep and...

said by W8ASA:

I blame both companies, but TW is my provider, so they get most of the blame automatically because they are the ones who cut off the access.

And if Time Warner cave's to CBS's grossly inflated fees, Time Warner will be the one you blame when your rates go up. So what exactly would you have them do?
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75 to CaptainRR

to CaptainRR

You pay for what you get.

Part of the reason that DISH prices are lower is that they're more aggressive when negotiating with programming providers. When the programmers attempt to increase their rates, DISH will black out their channel to show that they're not bluffing.

If you want a lower risk of carriage disputes, then you can pay extra for DirecTV or for your local cableco.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

I've seen nearly as many DirecTV disputes in this market as Dish and Mediacom. The only company I have not seen have disputes is the local telco who seems to just pay whatever they are asked due to lack of leverage and to avoid service interruption.

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200 to stvnbrs

Premium Member

to stvnbrs
said by stvnbrs:

Any savings seen will not be passed down to the customer. If content providers started charging TWC half next month, do you actually believe that TWC would start reducing customer bills?

I think you miss how this will work. There will NEVER, and I repeat, NEVER be a content negotiation where TWC, or any other cable provider, ends up paying less. This is all about negotiating how much MORE TWC, and in turn you, are going to have to pay. You may have had 2 rate increases this year, but that was to cover the other couple dozen contracts they had to negotiate that didn't get any media attention for you to gleam over about.

I'm by no means happy about contract renegotiation time, especially with being part of a smaller cable company that has ZERO leverage like TWC, Comcast, Charter,, Cablevision, and the rest of the big boys do by being able to do blackouts, media blasting, and the likes; however there are always going to be fee hikes the second that old contract expires, and the customer is always going to end up bearing them, maybe not the day the ink dries, but at some point as a sum of the contracts that went up between the last rate increase and this new one.

The only way the content companies are ever going to learn is when carriers in mass stop negotiating, but unfortunately you angry, jump happy customers will run like fleas from a flea bath during the process from one carrier to another that has your favorite show, ruining carrier companies in the process until all that is left is getting the content straight from the content provider. See how long that "free OTA" stays online, and how long the free stream stays free then....

In the end the carriers win until they lose, and they will destroy every means of OTA, carrier video, and streaming method they can use to get you content in the process.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude to W8ASA

Premium Member

to W8ASA
said by W8ASA:

I pay Time Warner close to $300 per month, for phone, internet, and television. If I miss even ONE episode of BB15 or Dexter, I will get satellite installed. Screw Time Warner and their idiocy. They don't care at all about their customers. Check out my attached screen photo proving that the TWC employees lack even primary education.

$300?!?!?!?! What the heck do you have in that bundled package? My parents' $89.99 promotion just ended and has to pay about $140 for now on. Also, there are increases starting next month too.
antdude

antdude to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

Right! not like satellite TV has ever done this...

»money.cnn.com/gallery/te ··· ackouts/
antdude

1 recommendation

antdude to kd6cae

Premium Member

to kd6cae
said by kd6cae:

I just used my access to Verizon wireless to watch the latest episode of big brother on cbs.com. I did this soly to prove that CBS blocking of their content that is otherwise available to other internet users in the US for free, benefits no one! And CBS forgets that not all TWC internet users are TWC TV subscribers, so why should they suffer if they want to watch a show they may have missed or want to watch again?
Sure, I used a good chunk of my data watching that video, I'm not sure what the bitrate of CBS.com video streams are, but it felt good knowing that I did something CBS clearly doesn't want me to do, that being watch their content despite being a user of TWC internet.

CBS cares (»www.cbscares.com/) NOT!
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to W8ASA

to W8ASA

Re: Rebate? How Much? I asked TWC rep and...

You must not understand anything. TWC did NOT cut off anything, once again KARL has a misleading headline. CBS CUT off those stations. TWC can NOT carry them without an agreement. By doing so CBS could and would SUE TWC and guess what, you would NEVER get those. Tell TWC to take them off your bill for the time being if it is such a big deal to you. but in the meantime go call and bitch to CBS about your issues NOT to TWC. But if you want to switch to DirecTV, have fun when they don't play and you lose those networks for a good 3+ months like before with them.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to Camelot One

to Camelot One
He just wants to bitch about it. He doesn't understand how it works.
TBBroadband

1 recommendation

TBBroadband to antdude

to antdude

$20+ per month for Showtime, if he has HBO another $20 plus, each digital box is about $9+, digital package- the highest is $40 before the expanded and digital value that you must purchase as well, add phone for another $40+ and then Internet at $60+. Right there is $180 before any extra TVs and fees.

W8ASA
Dayton, OH

W8ASA to antdude

to antdude
Internet, phone (one line), television, including almost all of the premium channels. Three DVRs w/remotes. Actually $289 per month.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by W8ASA:

Internet, phone (one line), television, including almost all of the premium channels. Three DVRs w/remotes. Actually $289 per month.

Wow.

dynomutt
@frpt.net

dynomutt to Killa200

Anon

to Killa200
Then learn how to make money with unmetered dumb pipe (good luck)

Man o
@rr.com

Man o to W8ASA

Anon

to W8ASA
If he's paying 289.99 for that. Get their Signature home package 299.99 with all that stuff with HSD up 65 mpbs

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin to W8ASA

to W8ASA
said by W8ASA:

I pay Time Warner close to $300 per month, for phone, internet, and television.

That's a lot of money. I assume you are getting at least 150 Mbps download.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

1 recommendation

dcurrey to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Just noticed that local Fox19 has been pulled from Dish network since Aug 1st. Same old contract disputes.
»www.fox19.com/story/2293 ··· tiations

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by dcurrey:

Just noticed that local Fox19 has been pulled from Dish network since Aug 1st. Same old contract disputes.
»www.fox19.com/story/2293 ··· tiations

same here in albany with nbc 10, »www.walb.com/story/22983 ··· scribers

frankly im glad they didnt cave, mediacom had the same dispute a month ago except they caved, im waiting on the fee increase... (of course mediacom is going encrypted down here and mandating a box, so im seriously considering switching to sat considering the cost/value ratio.. but thats a different topic)

W8ASA
Dayton, OH
·Time Warner Cable

W8ASA

What do I get for my $289.66?

A couple folks have asked about why I'm paying TW so much. Here's what I pay for:

Monthly services
08/02-09/01 Time Warner Cable Promotion 152.75
Includes: Basic Service, Standard Service, Digital Variety
Package, DVR Service, Standard Internet, Turbo Internet
Upgrade 15mbps, Home Phone, Includes UNLIMITED local and
long distance in the US and Canada
Time Warner Cable Promotion 35.95
Includes: HBO & HBO On Demand, The Movie Channel & TMC
On Demand, Showtime & Showtime On Demand, Cinemax &
Cinemax On Demand
Starz & Starz On Demand 10.00
Digital Choice Package 5.95
Time Warner Cable Movie Pass 5.75
HD DVR Converter 10.00
2 HD DVR Converter 10.00 20.00
2 DVR Service 12.99 25.98
2 A/O Service Charge 1.15 2.30
Internet Modem Lease 3.95
Total monthly services 272.63

Add $17.03 in taxes and fees, and you get $289.66 for my most recent bill.

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200 to dynomutt

Premium Member

to dynomutt

said by dynomutt :

Then learn how to make money with unmetered dumb pipe (good luck)

Something we already provide, and that I can promise you is becoming more and more of any carrier's profit margin as compared to tv service with all the recent rate hiking from content providers

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin to W8ASA

to W8ASA

Re: What do I get for my $289.66?

said by W8ASA:

A couple folks have asked about why I'm paying TW so much. Here's what I pay for:...
Add $17.03 in taxes and fees, and you get $289.66 for my most recent bill.

Trying to get the equivalent rate for RCN in Lehigh Valley
$109.99/ $117.99 / $125.99 for the first three years we get a triple play + Tivo Home Network which provides DVR and High Definition set top boxes for two HD televisions.
$19.99/mo HBO® and Cinemax® Bundle
$4.95/mo Showtime® The Movie Channel® (first 12 months)
$2.00/mo Starz ®
$12.99/mo Premiere Total Pack:96 channels, Encore® 26 HD
$8.99/mo High Definition Expanded Pack 5 additional HD channels.

So in first year I would expect to pay $160 + $20 taxes and fees, and I would expect it to go up by a minimum of $26 but probably more over the next two years. Plus I would get 25 Mbps internet speed

That's a difference of well over $100/month in the first year, and less in later years.

==============
But in general you are paying a lot of money for premium cable channels.