how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mgmrick

join:2001-06-24
Port Byron, NY

10 gb of data

New install 2 weeks ago. Great super speeds constant 10 mb down. Streamed a high quality netflix movie for a test. Super no hicups picture was amazing.

So this system has super speeds but................. you cant use it so what good is it?

Of course being a new customer hughes keeps resetting my download meter. Wonder why they would do that? Simple they want you to use the system and lock into a 24 month program. Hey this system works great sign up.... well until you find out an average user like my self can burn through a gig a day just browsing the internet. So doing the math.... a great system for 10 days a month.

Sorry but 10 gigs a month is a joke. Please come and get my system not going to lock into a 24 month plan

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

Sorry, but you are much better off with a properly installed legacy system with hourly (7000) or daily (9000) refills and the late night free time with a download manager.

Otherwise its like driving a Corvette to the corner store.
Don't worry however, the performance your getting now will likely tank on about day 31 or 32.

mgmrick

Port Byron, NY

I wont have to worry as I will disconnect before locked into 24 month contract. Fraud as far as I am concerned resetting meter while customer is deciding on keeping the system and locking in for 24 months. I am not a power user by any means and will blow through 10 gig in less than 10 days. Great system netflix, verizon network extender , down and up load speeds but what good is that if you can only use it for 1/3 of the month. Guess back to my dsl with horible unmetered speeds

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.

For you information, one "trick" that Hughes has been known to play is to "stretch out" the cancelation process.

Having been on the short end of some of the Hughes "Practices" I saved this post by the Head PR non-customer service person.

Pay close attention the "unless a customer requests immediate" portion of the post.

Remember: Document everything, take nothing a face or common value. These people have one and only one goal:
To separate you from your money by any means possible.

EMPLOYEE

Sara for Hughes (Official Rep) 7 minutes ago

There seems to be a few questions here specifically regarding our cancellation practices and the reasons behind some of our policies. As I mentioned above, unless a customer requests an immediate cancellation to their account cancellations will be processed at the end of that customer's billing cycle. The customer is informed of this on the call. The reason we do not have a cancellation option online is because we want to make sure that we've done everything that we can to keep you as a customer. There are times when customers call in to cancel because of underlying concerns. We want to figure out what those concerns are and address them for you. However, we have gotten some feedback regarding long hold times, and that is unacceptable and something we are looking into now.
Our terms and conditions can be found here »legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTer...
Thanks, Sara

Good Luck to you !

mgmrick

Port Byron, NY
reply to mgmrick

Thanks will remember all that info and not wait till the last minute to cancel. First I want to get fapped and catch sales rep in lie. He told me speeds drop to 1/2 while fapped. I said nothing wrong with that then I should see 5mb instead of 10 mb

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to mgmrick

If you are not going to keep it then I wouldn't stay around a second longer. Catching them in a lie won't make any difference to them.

mgmrick

Port Byron, NY

Is 10gb of data really useable? How do you justify these prices? Can anybody tell me what speeds to expect when fapped? Hughes will not answer that question for me other than first phone call with salesman stating half speed

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to mgmrick

Last I heard it was still 150kbps.

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
reply to mgmrick

The "Official Support" website is here:
»community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics

A search of that site will bring up others that couldn't believe FAP speeds, prime time slow downs and so on.

The only thing I can say in defense of Hughes is that it costs BIG $$$ to build, launch and insure a satellite with a life span of about 15 yrs + the weak link in the Hughes system, insufficient ground facilities (NOCs) and outsourced (India can be nice this time of year)phone support.
Its the lies and deceit that gets me. My experience says watch your billing like a Hawk.
Document everything. Believe nothing they tell you.
Satellite Internet is a connection type of last resort.
Hughes as a company you wish to try and do business with is even lower than that.

If you want some insight as to the ethics and "character" of Hughes, search this forum and you will find a customer that called Hughes (not his first Rodeo). The CSR from India who said his location was in Brownsville TX, said when asked by the customer, How is the snow skiing there replied Great !.
That sadly is the real Hughes.

mgmrick

Port Byron, NY

I just cant see who this system could work for. I mean really 10 gigs a months? Thats a joke. At least for the 2 weeks I have had it it does work well but I guess too well as in 10 days you will blow through your data.

Hundred bucks a month and reasonable data useage I would sign up for 24 month contract. Not downloading music/movies big files just regular internet browsing. But it can stream netflix just fine....just cant use it

mgmrick

Port Byron, NY
reply to mgmrick

Odd ? Hughes stopped resetting my data meter. Down to 7 gigs left so since friday evening I have used 3 gig. Also a speed test at speedtest.net my speeds have now dropped in half. I always got 10mb down load speed now under 5mb.

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

said by mgmrick:

Odd ? Hughes stopped resetting my data meter. Down to 7 gigs left so since friday evening I have used 3 gig. Also a speed test at speedtest.net my speeds have now dropped in half. I always got 10mb down load speed now under 5mb.

This is what they do, they will give you advertised speeds at first to suck you in and then all of a sudden BAM, speeds drop and if you call tech support they will say nothing is wrong.

Further more if you go the the Hughes community forum they will give you the run around saying its, prime time speed, weather, your router, or your equipment.

There are people over on the forum that have had problems for months and still no resolve, most of them will just wait until thier contract is up.

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
reply to mgmrick

But save that case number !

mgmrick, you didn't even make it to 31 days.
I'll bet its your router.

mgmrick

Port Byron, NY

Such a shame as this system can work. Until they start throttle back and 10gb of data is joke. Not everyone will agree but charge more and make it useable. It will out price some people but if speeds stayed and data limits were within reason I would pay say.... 150 dollars a month

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to mgmrick

HughesNet isn't really targeted toward people who have other means of receiving broadband. It's designed for those who's only other option is Exede, which is priced similarly. The caps on both services are kept very low to prevent people from doing things like Netflix during primetime, which would cause congestion and degrade service.