All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tm255
join:2010-09-22
Asheville, NC

tm255

[Other] Charter rant -- really, what is the problem at Charter?

a while back i had problems with the cable coming into my house. it took months, and many phone and service calls to finally get it fixed, and it was a very frustrating process.

since the line problems at my house have been fixed i have been generally pleased with the service. however, i noticed that my monthly bill has crept up from around $150 to over $200 with no change in features. this is too high for me.

a couple of weeks ago i contacted charter via the online chat service to see if anything could be done. the rep offered me the "gold" tv package, phone service (new), and high speed internet for $170/month. i accepted and an install date for the phone was set for wed, 7/31.

on monday 7/29 i called charter to double check the time of the install. the rep i spoke with said that she noticed a "problem" with the work order, and after a while said that the monthly charge was going to be $196, not the $170 that i agreed to. she said that she "might be able to fix it" and said that she would call me back. she never did.

i called back later in the day and spoke with another rep. she stated that i could have the gold TV package, high speed internet, and 3 DVR boxes (i currently have 1 DVR box and 2 HD boxes) for $180/mo. i accepted, and said that i would go to the local charter office to swap out the HD boxes for the new DVR boxes sometime next week. the rep said that this would be fine.

yesterday charter left a message on my answering machine saying that i needed to call the toll free number "if i still wanted the DVR boxes." puzzled, i called and spoke to another rep. he seemed very confused as though he was having trouble understanding my account, and eventually said that everything had been cancelled "because i had not picked up the DVR boxes" and if i wanted to change my service from >$200/mo. i would have to start over. at this point i had reached the limit of my frustration and hung up.

i really am having trouble understanding what the problem is here, as i have made what i think is a simple request. i am quite frustrated at all of the time that i have spent online and on the phone trying to resolve this.

this is the same kind of runaround that i encountered when i was trying to get my cable fixed.

i have never seen anywhere near this consistent level of incompetence by any service provider.

what is the problem? any guesses? is the only real solution satellite TV?

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Re: [Other] Charter rant -- really, what is the problem at Chart

This is typical of Charter. Go with Directv and you will be much happier. They also have way more then what Charter could ever offer. With better pricing as well.

gzt7d8
Aliens live amongst us
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
Traverse City, MI

gzt7d8 to tm255

Premium Member

to tm255
I feel your pain, I was a victim too. I have just internet only, tried the TV service but the reception was so bad they never did fix it so I cancel the TV service and went back to the dish. But, my internet service went up $15 a month, no letter to tell me why and no improvement in the service either.

Where has the customer service gone?

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to tm255

Premium Member

to tm255
First mistake, talking to the Reps on the phone. This has been and obviously still is an issue.

Whenever possible, speak directly (ie: face to face) with a rep at your local office. They will always know what is available in your area and typically can provide the best information, service, and price.
Lewy
join:2013-04-05

Lewy to tm255

to tm255
DirecTV is the best option I've found.
jp16
join:2010-05-04
united state

jp16 to tm255

to tm255
Sounds like typical Charter antics. The right hand seldom knows what the left is doing.

I second going to your local office to make changes. I did the online chat to inquire about a channel that we did not get. I was paying about $175 off the promo. The chat person quoted me ~$153 + tax to upgrade to the current price plans and get the desired services. However, I had to get a new modem as I own mine, a SB6141. I had no problem with that. I went to the office to pickup the modem and the lady there looked at me funny and said to keep my modem as it was fairly new. She also LOWERED my bill to $130 including taxes! Silver TV, HSI 30/4, and phone.

Go to your office and be nice to them, they may hook you up too!

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant to JimE

to JimE
said by JimE:

First mistake, talking to the Reps on the phone. This has been and obviously still is an issue.

Whenever possible, speak directly (ie: face to face) with a rep at your local office. They will always know what is available in your area and typically can provide the best information, service, and price.

You mean, online chat. Generally considered, for any provider, the least-effective means of billing support. However, I found it useful when I got a new box from the office and needed it refreshed. The phone queue was backed up and online chat was able to get me going in minutes.
tm255
Asheville, NC

tm255

well it is disappointing, but not surprising, to find out that i am not an outlier.

i really am baffled at what is going on with Charter. the reps are always very polite, and have similar deliveries, so they have obviously received some kind of training. but the consistent cluelessness, and i hate to say this but outright lying, are to me astounding.

the feature that used to exist here of direct forum contact with Charter reps was great. i got solutions several times that way very effectively. there was one rep, i think his name was jason, that was really outstanding.

i had not considered going to the local office. that involves driving time, standing in line, etc. but maybe it can be a last resort.

i have threatened this many times but this week am actually having direcTV come out and evaluate installation. there are some challenges re dish placement otherwise i think i would have gone the sat TV route a few years ago. UVerse availability on my street was supposed to be "imminent" 2 years ago but still not happening.
Expand your moderator at work
wolfmoonct
join:2002-10-01
Brooklyn, CT

wolfmoonct to tm255

to tm255

Re: [Other] Charter rant -- really, what is the problem at Chart

I have DirecTV for TV, and Charter just for phone and internet.
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

whoaru99 to tm255

to tm255
said by tm255:

well it is disappointing, but not surprising, to find out that i am not an outlier.

i really am baffled at what is going on with Charter. the reps are always very polite, and have similar deliveries, so they have obviously received some kind of training. but the consistent cluelessness, and i hate to say this but outright lying, are to me astounding.

UVerse availability on my street was supposed to be "imminent" 2 years ago but still not happening.

In the interest of fairness, have you also voiced concern on the appropriate forum or to the provider about that apparent lie?

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to jp16

Premium Member

to jp16
said by jp16:

Sounds like typical Charter antics. The right hand seldom knows what the left is doing.

I second going to your local office to make changes. I did the online chat to inquire about a channel that we did not get. I was paying about $175 off the promo. The chat person quoted me ~$153 + tax to upgrade to the current price plans and get the desired services. However, I had to get a new modem as I own mine, a SB6141. I had no problem with that. I went to the office to pickup the modem and the lady there looked at me funny and said to keep my modem as it was fairly new. She also LOWERED my bill to $130 including taxes! Silver TV, HSI 30/4, and phone.

Go to your office and be nice to them, they may hook you up too!

"The right hand seldom knows what the left is doing."

Sheesh! Wish I could do a quick search on here and find exactly how many times I've said exactly that!

As far as the local office here to try and get any help from, they're as clueless as they come also! Last time I was there and was swapping out a modem, the lady didn't know the difference between a DOCSIS 2 and a DOCSIS 3 modem, even when right on the bottom of the modem she was trying to give me, it stated it was a DOCSIS 2! Thusly, I went back to owning my own modem.
tm255
Asheville, NC

tm255 to whoaru99

to whoaru99
Yes.