how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Arris TG862 - Poor wifi

Just had my triple play installed with Blast speed.

As you can see my wired rates are great.

But wifi signal sucks.

With Uverse I had 12 mbps and their G gateway would provide the full speed over wifi in the other rooms. With the Arris I'm getting 45-60 in the room with the gateway. The other rooms won't break 1 mbps on channels 1 or 6. It won't break 5 on channel 11.

Does tech support have the ability to increase the signal power?

I was hoping to wait for a good sale before buying a new router but I might not have a choice in waiting.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
Are your clients a mix of "G" & "N" capable?

Zoder

Miami, FL
Both N
An iphone 5 and another pc

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
Is there an option to configure it to use only "N", not mixed & also is there a choice to select 20 MHz or 40 MHz?

Zoder

Miami, FL
Just b/g/n and g/n. No option to select the channel width.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
That's what I was afraid of. I hate gateways. Have you considered using your own router with it?

Zoder

Miami, FL
it fried a few months ago when a surge went through at&ts equipment. Was going to wait until black friday to get a new one.

I don't see why they disabled the ability to set the power level. How do they expect these things to be public hotspots with such weak signals?

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
I feel bad for anyone with gateways. They have more issues & limitations making them not worth having an all-in-one device. The forums are full of posts on issues with these. The only saving grace is to get Comcast to put it in bridge mode & use your own router.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to Zoder
They actually are VERY great wireless APs but the firmware cripples it by a large amount. This thing has outstanding range ... until you connect and it decides to throttle it's output power by about 50%.

Before it throttled it's power, it's range was comparable to the Asus RT-65R I had awhile back.

Zoder

Miami, FL
you're right. Before I connected the signal was 5 bars, then it dropped to 2. Any idea why they never fixed that with an update.

I wonder if the Cisco and Technicolor Wireless Gateway 2s will have the same problem.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Zoder
said by Zoder:

you're right. Before I connected the signal was 5 bars, then it dropped to 2. Any idea why they never fixed that with an update.

I wonder if the Cisco and Technicolor Wireless Gateway 2s will have the same problem.

I usually bounce between 4-5 bars before connecting and 2-3 after. I'm returning my gateway. It has better cooling, power level management, and logs than my DPC3008, but it likes to halt all internet traffic when doing certain tasks.

You have to either reboot the gateway, reboot wireless, or change a wireless setting to make it go back to high power again. I use this little trick to power down my neighbors' gateways so they aren't interfering as much(Typing in a random wireless password to make the gateway act as if a client is trying to connect and power down).