how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

stockd3vil

join:2013-08-03
Blainville, QC

Teksavvy SBG6580 (Quebec) Will it work?

I just baught a SBG6580 and called to order cable they first asked fo mac I gave them HFC mac id and then customer serial number. They put me on hold and came back and asked for model so I told them sb6120 since thats the only one videotron accepts. Do you guys think it will work or when installers come they will say this modem is not allowed. Or when it will come time to surf it won't work.

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast

join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
I'm pretty sure Videotron is able to tell which modem you really have based on the serial number. If so, you're gonna have a bad time. They will reject the order and ask that you supply another modem. If not, the order may go complete and then they may have issues provisioning the modem. To be honest, I don't think anyone has tried lying to TekSavvy with this modem before. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

stockd3vil

Blainville, QC
No they cannot know which modem it is with the serial number. There is many people with this modem with Teksavvy on rogers network. Don't need provisioning, the firmware on it should work and actually wouldn't want videotron messing with my modem. Just wondering now if anyone has problems with this modem on the videotron network or had problems when the installers saw the modem.

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast

join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Guess what, yes they can. Here's a few examples of how you can identify modems based on the first three characters of the serial number:

THOMSON:
007 = DCM425
008 = DCM475
009 = DCM476

MOTOROLA:
0HZ = 5101N
08L = 5102
0J3 = 6120

I'm not saying that you can't slip it by the initial checks, but if they look properly they can know.

stockd3vil

Blainville, QC
reply to stockd3vil
my 6580 is also 0J thay why you pass it as a 6120 or 6121