uniqs
share rss forum feed

Betamax76

join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA
reply to damink23

[Channels] Re: MPEG-4 is now being used for the .TV channels

said by damink23:

Will all new HD channels going forward be mpeg-4? That would seem to make sense.

Any new HD channels in the LOWEST channel tiers (Select and Prime) will likely stay MPEG-2 for the next year or so because of the huge number of 6000 series boxes still in the field. New HD channels added to the highest tiers (Ultimate and Extreme) will likely be MPEG-4 from the beginning.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to Betamax76

The push is still on!

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to Betamax76

Sweet, thx for the updates...

VirtualLarry
Premium
join:2003-08-01
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to Betamax76

Is this why channels like AMC (non-HD) are so horribly blocky, that they look worse than a YouTube video on my HD set-top box and 720P 32" LCD TV connected via HDMI?

I can still detect the MPEG blocks, even on the HD channels, although they are much less pronounced.

It's absolutely horrid on the SD channels like AMC.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

said by VirtualLarry:

Is this why channels like AMC (non-HD) are so horribly blocky, that they look worse than a YouTube video on my HD set-top box and 720P 32" LCD TV connected via HDMI?

I can still detect the MPEG blocks, even on the HD channels, although they are much less pronounced.

AMC has already been discussed in other topics, it's sent at a low bit rate from the provider.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
reply to VirtualLarry

said by VirtualLarry:

All SD channels are mpeg2.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1

All Sd Channels are currently MPEG2. There had been discussion of switching some to mpeg4 by Verizon, but so far none have been done.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by tnsprin:

All Sd Channels are currently MPEG2. There had been discussion of switching some to mpeg4 by Verizon, but so far none have been done.

The only ones that I could see Verizon shifting to MPEG4 would be SD PPV packages such as the special events channels that Verizon has for PPV events and maybe ESPN PPV, TEAM and GAME channels? Does Verizon allow those to be viewed on the DCT700s?

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by motorola870:

said by tnsprin:

The only ones that I could see Verizon shifting to MPEG4 would be SD PPV packages such as the special events channels that Verizon has for PPV events and maybe ESPN PPV, TEAM and GAME channels? Does Verizon allow those to be viewed on the DCT700s?

I think the problem with DCT700's was one of the things that killed it when they were thinking of it last time. Of course the replacement of some SD boxes was also a factor.

Noles92

@graduateschool.edu

2 recommendations

There is simply no excuse for Fios not having the following:

CBS Sports Channel HD
Hallmark Channel HD
HLN HD
H2 HD
Cooking Channel HD
Sony Movie Channel HD
Fox Sport 2 HD
Disney Jr HD

thetick

join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

said by Noles92 :

No provider has all available HD channels in HD. Go ahead and switch and you'll just swap a bunch and probably have many more added the list!
It's tough negotiating contracts for decent price, otherwise we would all be paying 2-3X more for just a few more channels.

celticpride

@verizon.net

Yeah its tricky,I want to switch to directv but with my luck, once i do that verizon fios will upgrade their system with a ton of new hd channels!I have been bugging verizon of the importance of having all the mlb nhl,and nba games in their sports packages in HD for over 3 years now and they just dont seem to care!

chitchatjf

join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA
reply to Betamax76

I myself wouldn't mind seeing Up HD.
Comcast has it but I'm not giving up Epix,west coast HDs,HDNet movies,not to mention having to pay $20 for TMC and $10 for the "HD technology fee"

charliewatts

join:2013-04-10
reply to Noles92

Disney Jr? Really??

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to Noles92

said by Noles92 :

Disney Jr HD

Do 3 year olds really care if it's in HD or not?
--
Verizon is becoming the new Comcast

Those .tv channels have got to go!!!!!!!!!!

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

said by Strommy:

No, they don't.

webcobbler

join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ
kudos:2

Probably not.

However, as a Parent's POV...my only argument for ANY SD channel watching is: Watching in HD is better on the eyes than watching a SD channel, or Movie etc. Due to how far one is away from the TV, Squinting to see the Picture better, etc.

That is all.

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY

Also, it's nice to fill up the screen if it's available in HD.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

1 edit
reply to Strommy

said by Strommy:

Believe it or not advertisers target young parents for preschool age shows. I've seen the demo's for these shows which clearly backs up the case.

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

I didn't think Disney Jr. had any advertising.

I don't think that we should never get it in HD but it's well down on my priority list.

Oh, and I managed to grow up with 20-15 vision watching a 20" tube back when 720P and 1080i sounded like really bad guesses in Battleship.

charliewatts

join:2013-04-10
reply to Betamax76

A regular 'poster /ínsider' who posts on the Verizon board often, thinks the .tv channels may be getting cancelled. I hope it's true.

»forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Pr···p/617833

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ

1 recommendation

His evidence is that the logo's are gone. Could be due to the MPEG-4 move.

damink23

join:2002-08-19
Waltham, MA

I don't know if I would rely on the icons being gone. A regional news network NECN here in MA has its logo missing. It is widely watched so I don't think it is going anywhere.

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY

LOL. He's basing that on logos being missing? We heard rumors they were adding the other two that are missing. I believe that rumor more. And what would the conversion to MPEG-4 have to do with the logos?

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ

said by matcarl:

LOL. He's basing that on logos being missing? We heard rumors they were adding the other two that are missing. I believe that rumor more. And what would the conversion to MPEG-4 have to do with the logos?

Often when they add channels they seem to be lax in getting the logos in the guide. I'm just guessing here, I can't believe they are dropping them.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to charliewatts

said by charliewatts:

A regular 'poster /ínsider' who posts on the Verizon board often, thinks the .tv channels may be getting cancelled. I hope it's true.

»forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Pr···p/617833

The posters logic came from down under. In VHO3 there have missing logos on a number of channels (mostly local, but some national) since IMG 1.9.4 rolled out in the area. I reported it to the development team but nothing has been corrected, and the channels remain. It's been three months since the logos disappeared.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
reply to Betamax76

said by Betamax76:

In the last week, four additional channels have been converted to MPEG-4:
Ch. 571: ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater HD
Ch. 597: World Fishing Network HD
Ch. 744: MGM HD
Ch. 1002: ESPN 3D (being discontinued by the provider at the end of 2013)

Thanks for the tip.

I tried recording a movie from MGM on my TiVo, and surprisingly, although the TiVo reported the channel as H.264, the recording still took up 11.88 GB for 2 hours -- about 13.5 Mbps.

It looked very good. Just one small glitch at one point, of the kind that sometimes happens on any channel.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

Does anyone know if QVC HD is MPEG2 or MPEG4?
I've noticed the max bit rate is 12.4 MB's while the other HD shopping channel HSN HD is 17.9 MB's.
Is QVC HD being re compressed or just sent at a lower bit rate?

MURICA

join:2013-01-03

QVC and HSN are both distributed as MPEG-2

And they are even unencrypted so you can watch them for free if you want to.

QVC HD is on AMC-11 @ 131 degrees West;
Frequency: 3928
Polarity: Vertical
Symbol Rate: 14320
FEC: 5/6

HSN HD is on AMC-10 @ 135 degrees West;
Frequency: 3866
Polarity: Horizontal
Symbol Rate: 15500
FEC: 5/6

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ
reply to Betamax76

Another thing I'm noticing is a couple times month there are problems with The Weather Channel HD.
The video seems it be a a lower bit rate and when there is any medium to fast movement the video freezes and pixelates.
It been occurring since this morning.