Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sunfox

join:2003-12-14
Markham, ON
reply to Fed Up

Re: [TV] Rogers tries to nail me with $50 Technician Install Fee

How do these things work with the "extra outlet" fees (which is total BS if your house is already wired, amplified, and has sufficient signal strength where you want it - and no, Rogers did none of that with their equipment).

I'm on VIP Cable which I understand has 4 outlets (thought it used to be 5), but I already have 4 owned HD boxes. The last analog tuners I have in use are a couple of computers, and with all my favorite VIP-tier channels now gone, I'm stuck getting an adapter - but not if it's going to cost me extra.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
said by Sunfox:

How do these things work with the "extra outlet" fees (which is total BS if your house is already wired, amplified, and has sufficient signal strength where you want it - and no, Rogers did none of that with their equipment).

I'm on VIP Cable which I understand has 4 outlets (thought it used to be 5), but I already have 4 owned HD boxes. The last analog tuners I have in use are a couple of computers, and with all my favorite VIP-tier channels now gone, I'm stuck getting an adapter - but not if it's going to cost me extra.

If you pay for extra outlets or you have a tier like VIP that includes extra outlets, you are allowed unlimited outlets.

However, Rogers may charge a one time fee of $80 to have an amplifier installed for every 5th outlet.

Sunfox

Markham, ON
Oh! Thanks much for this information. Now I won't be so hesitant to reclaim my missing channels!

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

said by Sunfox:

If you pay for extra outlets or you have a tier like VIP that includes extra outlets, you are allowed unlimited outlets.

However, Rogers may charge a one time fee of $80 to have an amplifier installed for every 5th outlet.

Not exactly. (your numbers are a bit off)
With vip or paying the $7.49 charge for extra outlets, you are allowed as many outlets as you like for no additional MONTHLY charge. That doesn't mean there aern't additional installation charges (which is where that install charge comes from). It is for outlet numbers 5, 6 & 7 they charge $75, 8, 9 & 10 $75 and beyond same. This is for installing an amplifier or secondary drop, whichever the technician who arrives onsite deems as necessary.
--
Hello

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to Sunfox
said by Sunfox:

I would not like to be the technician going to your house on a service appointment.
--
Hello

ltpenguin

join:2013-03-27
reply to Sunfox
LOL, Reclaim? Enjoy up to channel 28. I got a box and lost channels that I paid for >:I not to mention slow channel changing and low sound. Unplugged it and will enjoy my analog cable until they cut it.

Sunfox

Markham, ON

1 edit
said by ltpenguin:

LOL, Reclaim? Enjoy up to channel 28. I got a box and lost channels that I paid for >:I not to mention slow channel changing and low sound. Unplugged it and will enjoy my analog cable until they cut it.

Well, this just seems wrong. Finally got around to picking up a box today, and I get 70 channels, basically everything that was once analog. Yes, it's horribly slow changing channels (not sure why - there's like this huge lag between you entering a number it those numbers slowly appearing on screen), and volume is low but generally livable once you turn the built-in level up to max. Also it's stereo audio over RF, which is nice to see.

For the amount I use this tuner it's fine, but I think if I had to live with it on a daily basis the slow changes - even on plain channel up/down - would drive me nuts.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
said by Sunfox:

For the amount I use this tuner it's fine, but I think if I had to live with it on a daily basis the slow changes - even on plain channel up/down - would drive me nuts.

That's just the way digital video works. I nstead of just tuning to a different frequency, it's buffering a digital compressed stream for a few seconds before starting to play it. So it's really no different from how surfing to a Youtube video or Netflix doesn't start playing instantly.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Sunfox

Markham, ON
Maybe I should point out that I have 4 Rogers HD boxes in my home already, and none of them tune anywhere near as slow as the lethargic DTA50. And that's saying something, since I still have a Netbox 2.0 running the "new" software and the only thing it does quickly is crash! (But put SARA software on them and they fly.)

OLDYELLR

join:2003-04-05
Woodstock, ON
reply to Sunfox
I have VIP and an 8300 PVR. When I learned about these DTAs (I lost Speed Channel) I called Rogers and asked for 4 DTAs because that's how many possible TVs I had in addition to the one with the PVR. The standard maximum number Rogers is set up to give you is three, so they ordered an extra one and then charged me and refunded an extra $50 on the same bill. I don't see any extra outlet charge, although I've only installed one of the DTAs so far.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
said by OLDYELLR:

...... although I've only installed one of the DTAs so far.

Do these DTAs require a phone call to Rogers to activate them or can you just plug them in and use them?

OLDYELLR

join:2003-04-05
Woodstock, ON
They require a call to Rogers to work. It comes up on the screen.

Sunfox

Markham, ON
reply to elitefx
Even if it's registered to your account in advance (which I suspect you have to do anyways), you still have to call to get it activated. With that said, activation was fully automated. I called the 800 number after hours and entered my account's phone number, selected the option to activate a box, and the system did it without any other information or input and the picture came up quite literally a second later.

elitefx

London, ON
Thanks guys.........
Expand your moderator at work

Formertech

@24.114.95.x
reply to elitefx

Re: [TV] Rogers tries to nail me with $50 Technician Install Fee

Oh yes and all your equipment issues with dta, nextbox 2.0 and 3.0 isn't really Rogers it's Cisco they used to be a good company and reputable but there equipment doesn't work right half the time 25% of it is faulty from the warehouse they make the
products as che
Map as possible to save money that's why a lot of major companies stopped using Cisco in the US and etc p.s Cisco Internet modems and routers are horrible too

elitefx

London, ON
Who you kidding? Cisco is top of the line gear. Their modems run flawlessly. They're an Internationallly recognized brand name. Half the world's companies run on Cisco stuff.

It's Rogers firmware updates that F$ck everything up. Rogers takes perfectly good hardware and trashes it with one update. 'nuff said

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
Hold on there elitefx ..

Whilst a good chunk of the internet runs on Cisco gear, their cable system products aren't really Cisco ... they are actually Scientific Atlanta (or at least were) ... most of the products have not had the benefit of Cisco design and development ... they were designed by the original SA employees whose paycheques now say Cisco. In fact a good many Cisco cable products are relabelled SA products until the manufacturers got Cisco labels on them!

SA have produced consumer grade set top boxes for cable and satellite for years. From the quality of the SA box I own, it's nothing special. They are not the same class as Cisco commercial gear.

LittleBrutus

join:2004-08-21
Nepean, ON
said by sbrook:

their cable system products aren't really Cisco ... they are actually Scientific Atlanta (or at least were)

And of course their entry level consumer grade routers/gateways are former Linksys devices.

Personally I think they are diluting their name by getting into the consumer grade markets.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

Who you kidding? Cisco is top of the line gear. Their modems run flawlessly. They're an Internationallly recognized brand name. Half the world's companies run on Cisco stuff.

It's Rogers firmware updates that F$ck everything up. Rogers takes perfectly good hardware and trashes it with one update. 'nuff said

Um, no.

Having worked with Cisco enterprise gear, the trash they brand with Linksys by Cisco or the Scientific Atlanta cable CPE they rebranded is not on par.

Cisco is selling Linksys to Belkin, they will probably be looking to spin-off their cable CPE in the future as well.