APC 1300 VA pro:
»www.apc.com/products/resource/in···atts=200

APC 550 VA:

»www.apc.com/resource/include/tec···b=models

DrugTito

join:2013-01-17
canada

Thank you all for your time.

Davesnothere, i understand, but, that would be over the budget really, i would leave my PC on current UPS, and get something for my Modem\Router (and since they are not using much power, LED is very close to it, i would have my LED on it), and probably my wife's vacuum when she is bored :P

Is there anything else you would recommend like this:
»www.upsforless.ca/apcsu700netref.aspx (in this price range) but, in black color, since, everything is black here (furniture, etc), so, i don't end up having my butt kicked from my wife for bringing in white UPC (of course, this is just a question if you want to look into this, you don't have to, as i don't want to bother you guys much, you already helped a lot!)

Thanks all!

DrugTito

canada

How about this?

How long could RT-N66U and DCM476 run on this?
»www.upsforless.ca/apcsc420ref.aspx

How could i calculate this?:)

Thanks

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

I spent the extra bucks and got the CyberPower 1000AVR »www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/···atId=234 I think it was some crazy sale for $90 or $100. Was enough to keep a Cellpipe, an RT-N16, an sb5101, a tl-1043nd a computer with 2 hard drives (1 was ssd) and a 24" monitor running for close to 30min until power got restored and still had some juice left. Not a bad investment. With a 1000VA UPS you could probably keep going throughout a major power outage.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

cable4me

@teksavvy.com
reply to DrugTito

From the data on that site:

# Typical Backup Time at Half Load 13.5 minutes (130 Watts)
# Typical Backup Time at Full Load 5.5 minutes (260 Watts)

So a really rough estimate using those numbers by drawing a graph (gasp) or high school math
to extrapolate tells me that to expect at best 21.5 minutes at no load and for
every watt one loses 0.06 minutes.

As with extrapolation and lack of data points, YMMV.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to DrugTito

said by DrugTito:

How about this?

How long could RT-N66U and DCM476 run on this?
»www.upsforless.ca/apcsc420ref.aspx ....

I noticed that one AFTER suggesting the others.

It might be a good choice for the accessories as you originally asked.

Go to the APC site and find it or its replacement, and do the pull-down calculator.

The minimum they will let you select is 50W, IIRC.

»www.apc.com/products/family/inde···b=models

Select 'Tower' to narrow the results some.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to cable4me

said by cable4me :

....So a really rough estimate using those numbers by drawing a graph (gasp) or high school math
to extrapolate tells me that to expect at best 21.5 minutes at no load and for
every watt one loses 0.06 minutes.

As with extrapolation and lack of data points, YMMV.

The graph will not be linear - I promise.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13

1 recommendation

A can of black spray paint will add about $7 to the cost Wouldn't be the first time I've painted a case for "decor".

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to nightowl

Battery Considerations ONLY

Uncommon (expensive) battery - AVOID !

Common battery - CONSIDER !

To some degree, what Gone said could matter too, as well as the upfront price.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by Davesnothere:

They use the RBC124. You can still get generics, but they're designed in such a way that no matter who makes them they're not cheap to manufacture.

You *really* only need a 550 for that hardware, though. A 1300 would be a waste.

DrugTito

canada
reply to sbrook

Re: UPS - APC

said by sbrook:

A can of black spray paint will add about $7 to the cost Wouldn't be the first time I've painted a case for "decor".

hahaha, sounds good

Let me read all other replies now

thanks guys

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to Gone

Re: Battery Considerations ONLY

said by Gone:

said by Davesnothere:

They use the RBC124. You can still get generics, but they're designed in such a way that no matter who makes them they're not cheap to manufacture.

You *really* only need a 550 for that hardware, though. A 1300 would be a waste.

Yes - I did the research too.

My primary point is that even if the application REQUIRED a higher volt-amp output such as of that 1300 beast, the hidden higher cost of its next battery still makes it a poor choice on that merit alone, compared to the traditional APC 'tower' style units which I had originally suggested and linked upthread.

Plus, and more importantly, the 1300 VA rating of that unit is deceiving to most users' expectations, as the RBC124 battery in it has such a short runtime, compared to the [traditional and easy to find inexpensively] RBC7 battery pack found in units such as the Smart UPS 1400 and 1500 towers.

All 3 UPS units have about the same VA rating, but in some cases VERY different runtimes.

I know that YOU get this, but many of the other readers do not, and my earlier posts are more aimed at THEM.

DrugTito

canada

so, in the end, what am i buying from upsforless?:)

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits

said by DrugTito:

so, in the end, what am i buying from upsforless?:)

If your budget can squeeze it, go with my original post, AND the can of spray paint.

Else, the dark Smart 420 is an excellent choice.

The BE500 and BE550 each have the same RBC2 battery as the Smart 420, but are less sophisticated - no AVR (auto voltage regulation).

I have used every unit which I have linked, AND some of the others, and my homework was done long before this thread began.

BTW, I currently have a Smart 1400 and a Smart 1500 in service, both traditional tower models with those big RBC7 battery packs.

One unit has all of my network and phone stuff on it, and one of my computers.

The other unit has 2 other computers on it.

There are also some external USB hard drives on each, plus my screen is in there somewhere.

My runtimes exceed an hour at about one quarter load.

I wish that they would give me 2 hours though, as our average outage is 90 minutes, here in Eastern Ontario, which means that I usually am cutting it close.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to FiReSTaRT

Re: UPS - APC

The thing that irks me a lot of the time with UPS boxes is some adverts don't indicate how many sockets run off the battery and how many are surge protected. It might seem to be a minor point unless you really need more sockets on the battery than you do for surge. Why they don't make dedicated all battery units I just don't know. To me its the difference between buying one unit or two.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca