uniqs

lew_b
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY

lew_b

Premium Member

[bug] Clicking On Envelope at Left of Thread Marks ALL Read

As in the Subject. If I click on the envelope at the left of a thread to mark it as read, every thread in that forum seems to be marked as read.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin

Mod

The tool tip says "mark as read from here older" has always been that way I think.

lew_b
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY

1 edit

lew_b

Premium Member

I recall being able to click on the envelope for a very active thread that I had no interest in and have only THAT thread be marked as read. Was that the bug ?

BTW, I think now even the threads before the one I am clicking on are marked read ...
Edit:
Never mind the comment on the 'threads before'. I just tried it again and it's just ALL the threads after the one I click on that are marked read.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin

Mod

It was never the intention of the red envelope to mark as "read" just that topic, and nothing else.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to lew_b

Mod

to lew_b
said by lew_b:

As in the Subject. If I click on the envelope at the left of a thread to mark it as read, every thread in that forum seems to be marked as read.

Are you Rip Van Winkle, returning after a long sleep?

It has always been that way. And that's what I want.

Ok, strictly speaking, the old behavior was all threads below and including the one clicked were marked read. If this was a sticky post, then all threads were marked read. I have not tried to test whether it is still exactly the same. My own practice was to click the topmost envelope when I had finished reading the posts of interest to me on that page.

Likewise, in a merged ALL tab, where several forums are merged in a single tab, the old behavior of clicking an envelope was to mark as read all posts from the same actual forum, which typically did not include all posts seen on that merged ALL tab.

Now maybe I'll go and experiment to see what it does now.