uniqs

ncherry
Premium Member
join:2003-07-13
Monroe Township, NJ

ncherry

Premium Member

[ipv6] SOHO router recommendations

I'm looking for a new router for my home, I have Comcast and I'd like to be able to get IPv6 to my home LAN. I currently have a Juniper SRX210 but the IPv6 DHCPv6 PD feature won't be available until 13.x (promised for the first quarter of 2013 (yeah)).

While the SRX has great performance and the config isn't too bad the IPv6 support is terrible and I don't see them fixing that any time too soon. I'm looking for better performance than the normal consumer router (and realize that has costs). So what's current and supports IPv6 well? I don't want used and while I can build my own I'd rather not at this time.
jh2010
join:2009-09-03
Brooklyn, NY

jh2010

Re: [ipv6] SOHO router recommendations

I have a Cisco 881 running a tunnel to he.net for over a year.
I also had the same setup running on a Cisco 871 for another year or two.

You can pick them up on ebay for a couple of hundred dollars. You may want to also purchase some extra memory (also available on ebay).

J

ncherry
Premium Member
Monroe Township, NJ

ncherry

Premium Member

Thanks
I have an HE tunnel running on the Juniper SRX. I want to work with PD. I think the SRX 210 has better performance than the 881 or 871.

If I buy another router it will support PD and be able to handle the speeds Comcast provides
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to ncherry

MVM

to ncherry
SRX210's paper numbers are 850Mbps, so the only thing I can think of in the Cisco category that comes
even close to that is an ASR1K. The ISR line "bare metal" is in around the 500Mbps mark, and that's
a with 39xx bare minimum...

There's the Ubiquiti EdgeMAX device, $100USD for 3x GigE int, (near) 1Gbps throughput, and a VERY
flexible configurability.

After than that, you're looking at a *nix distro w/ IPv6 support on old(er) hardware and GigE NICs really...

My 00000010bits

Regards
quesix
join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

1 edit

quesix to ncherry

to ncherry
how bout a Cisco 2851 with IOS 15.1 (see my other thread config script for 2851)... mine does nicely on Comcast 105/20 package. I have it running ip inspect type firewalling for IPv4 and IPv6, no problem exceeding the 105Mbps. Another 2851 used at office hits 200Mbps/300Mbps on 200Mbps fiber IPv6 (although on 12.4 without ipv6 inspect). Slowest part would be VPN I hit 24mbps no problem with 25% cpu usage.

edit: not exactly current, but 15.1 advanced enterprise code give you most all features if you know cisco. Also probably tops at little over 200mbps for 512byte average packet size with those features on. (rated at 112mbps @64byte packet but what home network has average packet size that low)

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to ncherry

Premium Member

to ncherry
said by ncherry:

I'm looking for a new router for my home, I have Comcast and I'd like to be able to get IPv6 to my home LAN. I currently have a Juniper SRX210 but the IPv6 DHCPv6 PD feature won't be available until 13.x (promised for the first quarter of 2013 (yeah)).

I have been working with Juniper and I really hope they get it.. As for Cisco 15.1 works great with IA_PD as well. So if you need more networks you can request more /64 blocks up to a /60.

ncherry
Premium Member
Monroe Township, NJ

1 recommendation

ncherry

Premium Member

Sorry about disappearing, work has me busy and they've thrown a wrench into the works.

I don't think the SRX210 can do 875Mbps (that might be when using the filters, etc. To be expected) but that's not really important as it can't do DHCPv6 PD Otherwise it's not a bad box.

Still the rest of the information is useful! Thanks!

I think I'll look at the Ubiquity right now. I've another of there products and I'm happy with it

I'll also investigate the 2851, I'm very familiar with them (20+ years on Cisco equipment)
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Personally, I'm fond of the ASUS RT-N66U w/ Tomato firmware - though the stock firmware is one of the better ones out there.
HELLFIRE
MVM

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE to ncherry

MVM

to ncherry
What kind of speeds are you looking for the gear to hit? If you're familiar with Cisco, this is a pretty good guide to what Cisco gear can do bare-metal

Regards

ncherry
Premium Member
Monroe Township, NJ

ncherry

Premium Member

I'm looking at Comcast's Performance pkg (30/5 I think).

The problem with the Cisco boxes (2851, and up) are they are expensive. They are noisy, and they are power hungry (last 2 kill the WAF value).

The ASUS and the Ubiquity are looking good at this moment though I don't know what kind of performance I can expect (latency and throughput). I'm not too concerned with latency yet (I will when I start using VoIP) but throughput is important.

Sorry if I'm sounding like an ingrate (I'm not), thank you for all the comments, I am thinking this over with all the information).
quesix
join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

quesix to ncherry

to ncherry
2851 isn't that noisy but it's bigger (hence slower RPM fans). And it depends what you consider expensive, you may want to go with Tomato firmware on the 802.11n asus like suggested above, at 30mbps your unlikely to have a bottleneck on general internet traffic, and cost is much lower.
HELLFIRE
MVM

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE to ncherry

MVM

to ncherry
Don't know if you're going to modify your speeds anytime soon, or need GigE ports, but for 100Mbps speeds,
I'd handily recommend the 1811 or 1812 series routers; run you $300USD (if that) these days 2nd hand.
As for throughput, here's loadtesting I did awhile back showing 100Mbps wirespeed. At the time, I didn't
test IPv6 as I didn't have any IPv6 capable hosts, but if you wanted to see it I can set it up for you.

Otherwise, best of luck in your search, and let us know what you decide to go with.

Regards

ncherry
Premium Member
Monroe Township, NJ

1 recommendation

ncherry

Premium Member

Hellfire, you don't need to set it up. I think you'll find that the daul stack is only slightly slower.

I'll keep you updated, at the moment I haven't made any decissions. There are so many trade offs. Wish Juniper would just get the DHCPv6 PD code out and I'd probably be happy.
ncherry

ncherry

Premium Member

Current update: I've reviewed the Asus devices and their lack of support scares me. And I'm just starting to see dhcpv6-pd available for my SRX (12.1X45). I'm currently attempting to get this working on my box. More later.
--
Neil Cherry
Linux Home Automation
Linux HA Blog
Author: Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

Update: Sept 23
Wow, that didn't go well! The jdhcpd cored dumped and went into a loop (slowed the box to a crawl). I think I've finally figured out what caused this (I entered an ascii string without the quotes). I downgraded the firmware and found that the problem still existed. Then I finally figured out the above issue. I'll attempt the upgrade again and see if I get bit further.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by ncherry:

And I'm just starting to see dhcpv6-pd available for my SRX (12.1X45).

you seem to know Juniper gear do you know if SSG 5 is supported with DHCPv6-PD?

ncherry
Premium Member
Monroe Township, NJ

ncherry

Premium Member

I'm not sure, I just 'tripped' across this release while doing my monthly checking.
ncherry

1 recommendation

ncherry

Premium Member

Update 2: Sept 23
Fixed, the problem was I was mixing old and new syntax. I'm not sure how I managed to get both but I did. Now I have the following:

ge-0/0/0 {
unit 0 {
family inet {
dhcp-client;
}
family inet6 {
dhcpv6-client {
client-type statefull;
client-ia-type ia-na;
client-ia-type ia-pd;
client-identifier duid-type duid-ll;
}
}
}
}

Now onto the lan dhcpv6 server.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to ncherry

to ncherry
very cool. Although SRX 210 is an amazing box and it can withstand thruputs, I like Fortigates as well they are small with brutal punch power...

ncherry
Premium Member
Monroe Township, NJ

1 recommendation

ncherry

Premium Member

Well, I finally made the selection and the Ubiquiti ERLite won out. Right now I've switched my Juniper SRX210 over to a smart switch instead of a router as the DHCP core dumps became too much to deal with and they've announced the end of support for the SRX210. So far I'm getting used to the ERLite but it's basic setup wasn't hard. I found lots of examples with various searches. I configured everything from the CLI.

I haven't gotten to setting up the IPV6 part and I'm still working on a few little details. So far it's working well.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

i'll take the 210 off your hands.

q.
HELLFIRE
MVM

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE to ncherry

MVM

to ncherry
Based on this , still have Next Day
support, and End of Support isn't till 8/31/2017. Mind you, I'm not a complete expert on Juniper
End of Support policies.
Whatever keeps you happy, OP.

See tubbynet See Profile 's request for your 210 and raise a wooden nickle

Regards

ncherry
Premium Member
Monroe Township, NJ

ncherry to tubbynet

Premium Member

to tubbynet
I'm going to hold onto it a bit longer. I may have a few other places I can use it but thanks for the offer, it is tempting.