spc
Search similar:

uniqs
stockd3vil
join:2013-08-03
Blainville, QC

stockd3vil

Distance to CO

Is there a way to see what is the distance CO for cable and dsl from your house before you chose.

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON

RizzleQ

Premium Member

Cable: No, but distance doesn't really matter for cable
DSL: Can try asking TSI to search your postal code for an existing account and they can use the attenuation on their line to make a rough estimation
stockd3vil
Blainville, QC

stockd3vil

»www.telcodata.us/search- ··· e-detail I found this and it worked. How far should dsl be at most to get good speeds. Im loosing about 1 meg 5 instead of 6 down from my service I have with dsl now and .2 meg for uploads .6 instead of .8. Cant wait to get cable and test it out. cant wait to test cable
stockd3vil

stockd3vil

»www.telcodata.us/search- ··· e-detail Im losing almost 1 meg for my 6 meg so im at 5.23 down and losing .15 meg from my .8 up im at .65. im 5-6 km from oc. Cant wait to test cable.

Crowbar10
join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10 to stockd3vil

to stockd3vil
DSL has overhead »pflog.net/dsl_overhead/

RizzleQ
Premium Member
Windsor, ON

RizzleQ to stockd3vil

Premium Member

to stockd3vil
That's exactly what I get on my perfectly synced 6016/800 DSL. It's DSL overhead like Crowbar says; you just have to live with it.
stockd3vil
Blainville, QC

stockd3vil

Can you experience any loss with cable

RizzleQ
Premium Member
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

1 edit

RizzleQ

Premium Member

On my 30/2 cable with TSI in Cogeco land I get 31/2.2 pretty consistently. However, cable is susceptible to slow speeds at peak times, since it's a shared line with everyone around you. I just happen to live in an area with little congestion so I hardly see any slow downs.
dmitry_tek
join:2010-01-14

dmitry_tek to RizzleQ

to RizzleQ
said by RizzleQ:

Cable: No, but distance doesn't really matter for cable
DSL: Can try asking TSI to search your postal code for an existing account and they can use the attenuation on their line to make a rough estimation

Technically, it still does. The longer the cable, the stronger the signal degradation is. And coaxial cable has a shielding all the way to the modem.

Also take a look at this bell-telephone-madness. All those wires are telephone wires. The crosstalk rate must be crazy.

Sorry about the quality.
dazium
join:2007-02-24
Windsor, ON

dazium to stockd3vil

to stockd3vil
log into your modem and look for the line stats. add the attenuation numbers together and divide by 18

NytOwl
join:2012-09-27
canada

NytOwl to stockd3vil

to stockd3vil
While distance isn't as a big a factor with Cable Internet as it is with DSL, signal degradation does play a role.

If you have Cable TV in your residence with the line coming into your house going through a splitter to your Cable Internet modem in addition to 2, 3 or more TVs, there will be degradation of the signal. Ditto if the cabling throughout your house is older RG59 of questionable quality instead of RG6, though arguably not as big a factor.

In my situation, I don't have Cable TV, and there's luckily a Rogers box on my neighbor's front lawn where my house's line connects to (in addition to other houses in a section of my street). The cable, RG6, comes into my basement, where it goes into a coupler with ground clip, and then from there is another RG6 cable going straight to my cable modem nearby. No splitter. This scenario provides a very clean signal. Your mileage may vary.

The quality of your interior phone wiring also plays a role for DSL, especially if you live in an older high-rise apartment building with poorly maintained/crimped lines going up to the units from the building's telco room. The picture that dmitry_tek posted is a perfect example of such a scenario.