Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Davesnothere

Re: Battery Considerations ONLY

said by Davesnothere:

Uncommon (expensive) battery - AVOID !

They use the RBC124. You can still get generics, but they're designed in such a way that no matter who makes them they're not cheap to manufacture.

You *really* only need a 550 for that hardware, though. A 1300 would be a waste.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
said by Gone:

said by Davesnothere:

Uncommon (expensive) battery - AVOID !

They use the RBC124. You can still get generics, but they're designed in such a way that no matter who makes them they're not cheap to manufacture.

You *really* only need a 550 for that hardware, though. A 1300 would be a waste.

Yes - I did the research too.

My primary point is that even if the application REQUIRED a higher volt-amp output such as of that 1300 beast, the hidden higher cost of its next battery still makes it a poor choice on that merit alone, compared to the traditional APC 'tower' style units which I had originally suggested and linked upthread.

Plus, and more importantly, the 1300 VA rating of that unit is deceiving to most users' expectations, as the RBC124 battery in it has such a short runtime, compared to the [traditional and easy to find inexpensively] RBC7 battery pack found in units such as the Smart UPS 1400 and 1500 towers.

All 3 UPS units have about the same VA rating, but in some cases VERY different runtimes.

I know that YOU get this, but many of the other readers do not, and my earlier posts are more aimed at THEM.

DrugTito

join:2013-01-17
canada
so, in the end, what am i buying from upsforless?:)

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits
said by DrugTito:

so, in the end, what am i buying from upsforless?:)

If your budget can squeeze it, go with my original post, AND the can of spray paint.

Else, the dark Smart 420 is an excellent choice.

The BE500 and BE550 each have the same RBC2 battery as the Smart 420, but are less sophisticated - no AVR (auto voltage regulation).

I have used every unit which I have linked, AND some of the others, and my homework was done long before this thread began.

BTW, I currently have a Smart 1400 and a Smart 1500 in service, both traditional tower models with those big RBC7 battery packs.

One unit has all of my network and phone stuff on it, and one of my computers.

The other unit has 2 other computers on it.

There are also some external USB hard drives on each, plus my screen is in there somewhere.

My runtimes exceed an hour at about one quarter load.

I wish that they would give me 2 hours though, as our average outage is 90 minutes, here in Eastern Ontario, which means that I usually am cutting it close.