spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dmitry_tek

join:2010-01-14

IPV6 Tunnel Broker Privacy

Google didn't give me anything useful on this. How exactly does IPV6 tunnel broker work? Is it like VPN connection or something else? Does all of my IPV6 traffic go through their servers? Thanks.

jh2010

join:2009-09-03
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

check out »www.tunnelbroker.net/ and the FAQ.

Essentially, it is similar to a VPN, in that all your IPV6 traffic is routed through he.net's Routers.

Not all routers support this setup. You can setup an individual workstation(Wintel or Linux) to connect via a tunnel session.

A router setup means that all devices(that support IPV6) on your network can use IPV6. Windows XP(with a service pack), Vista, 7 and 8(as well as most Wintel servers) support IPV6. Apple support it via OSX and IOS. Android supports it as do almost all versions of Linux.

I use IPV6 on my Win7, SUSE VMware session, Ipad, Iphone and Nexus 7.

www.tunnelbroker.net IPV6 tunnels are not encrypted in any way. All of the data is transmitted in clear text.

J

dmitry_tek

said by jh2010:

check out »www.tunnelbroker.net/ and the FAQ.

Essentially, it is similar to a VPN, in that all your IPV6 traffic is routed through he.net's Routers.

Not all routers support this setup. You can setup an individual workstation(Wintel or Linux) to connect via a tunnel session.

A router setup means that all devices(that support IPV6) on your network can use IPV6. Windows XP(with a service pack), Vista, 7 and 8(as well as most Wintel servers) support IPV6. Apple support it via OSX and IOS. Android supports it as do almost all versions of Linux.

I use IPV6 on my Win7, SUSE VMware session, Ipad, Iphone and Nexus 7.

J

Thank you. In that case I should wait until official ipv6 support by my ISP.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3
There is no guarantee that IPv6 via your ISP will be any more private.

dmitry_tek

said by graysonf:

There is no guarantee that IPv6 via your ISP will be any more private.

At this point anything that is NOT US-based is probably more private.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

reply to dmitry_tek
I don't even get the point of the post. All your traffic goes out to the Internet anyway. Having native service doesn't magically make you more private.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

2 recommendations

reply to dmitry_tek
why wait? Set up a tunnel now; get used to working with IPv6...NOW.

I've had a tunnel with HE since late 2008.

Another poster referred to "sessions." HE's tunnels are 6in4, and are stateless, so this word is not meaningful. If for whatever reason you have to traverse NAT, perhaps SixXS's AYIYA tunnelling service would work better for you.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

2 recommendations

reply to dmitry_tek
It's simple packet encapsulation. Nobody does encryption of the tunnel payload -- that gets computationally expensive fast. Your v6 traffic is carried within v4 packets to the broker where they "pop out" as IPv6. So, the traffic flows across the IPv4 internet to the broker where it then goes out across the IPv6 internet.