ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94

Re: Build for overseas family

said by signmeuptoo94:

That one looks like it has decent quality, but I'm still thinking on it, partly because I've spent so much in the last couple days I need to stop for a couple days and make sure I can make my bills first. sk, do you think that keyboard could hold up to some mild gaming?

I would say that it most likely would. Logitech makes (or made) the OEM Dell keyboards that we had at the college I once worked for. They took so much abuse from people (imagine that), but we rarely had a failure. For the most part, the biggest problem we had were people popping off the keys and rearranging them.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I've donated, and thrown away many working logitech keyboards. Generally their quality is good, and one that is expensive even had a drink spilled on it to find they designed drainage holes to avoid damage. I will say I have worn off the letters off some of the keys however, and those are even on the expensive ones.

The main reason I got rid of some older keyboards were they used a ps/2 connection, or were an older rf wireless keyboard. As of right now I have two keyboards not in use, and both are logitech.

Their mice of lately have been really low quality however, I bought a couple cheap mouse and keyboard sets to have around, and those mice just were not very durable to normal wear and tear. Even some of their expensive mice have turned out to be crap as of lately.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 edit

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Ok, I made a dumb mistake earlier. I bid on a mouse keyboard (microsoft) before seeing what the shipping charge is, and won the bid. Shipping is 13 bucks, but the mouse and keyboard were only about 11 bucks.

I'm probably gonna have to wait until next month, but I am looking at speakers, and since the voltage there is 220VAC, the speakers have to be that voltage, OR be USB powered. I'm torn, I see some nice looking speakers for less than 50 bucks, but I don't think I can swing that. She needs dental work next month and this month I already blew my food budget. I may have to settle for USB speakers.

I also have to buy a pot, pan, knife, spoon, and spatula in the next couple months, a few food and personal care items, and then I am DONE, will just have to bum a ride to the drop off location out of town.

I think I may have over extended myself, but at least I have something to show for it. Looks like rice and beans for a while!

UPDATE EDIT:

The case, HS/F, and Optical drive came today. The RAM from Amazon's partner came too, however, IT'S THE WRONG DAMNED MEMORY, they sent me laptop RAM when the product description SAYS "desktop RAM" and show a photo of desktop RAM. So now I have to wait to see if they will accept a claim, and I have to ship the damned stuff back. They didn't even package it well (anti static bag into a manila envelope, no protective packaging. Last time I'm ever dealing with this dealer! I'm waiting to hear a response.

So that cool mouse still has to arrive from TX and the keyboard/mouse from eBay seller, and cables from Monoprice.

The case is nice, though the metal is kinda thin, but good fan mounts, 2 large ones on top, one in the side, and a front and rear. Gonna have to get some fans.

Until I get some RAM, I'll have to wait to build this, darn!
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

What OS are you going to run on it? As for the memory, do you have any update on that? If they haven't made good on it, I have some DDR2 800 2x 2GB here I can send you. I'll need your address again though.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I ordered RAM but the company sent me SODIMMs, and I am trying to get the order cancled. Sending PM.
signmeuptoo94

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Oh damnit! I got a lift to the P.O. today to pick up the keyboard and drop off the RAM to be shipped. I told the agent to add confirmation and tracking, but now I realize it appears he didn't do so. I could be out 50 bucks if the dealer denies getting the RAM. Damn it! It I wasn't such a nervous Nelly I wouldn't have messed up and let him not do that.

Anyways, I've been blessed and should have more of the parts I need thanks to you fine people. I am hoping that next month I can pull it together and test it out.
signmeuptoo94

1 recommendation

signmeuptoo94 to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
UPDATE: IT'S ALIVE!

I am waiting for the replacement to the wrong RAM I was sent by an Amazon 3rd party vendor, they finally honored and shipped, but it may be a few days before it arrives. In the mean time, I yanked the RAM out of my backup system and built the box today.

It Works! Hallelujah!

Thanks to all of you, those of you who advised and those of you that made this possible. I am trying to get a phone call through to my gal so I can tell her the good news, that the system works.

So I'm not going to risk putting the RAM sticks in the first bank first slot, because I still suspect it is bad, but with the RAM in the second bank it seems fine. Gonna leave it running overnight.

5 case fans (you might say that is excessive, but remember, this thing is going to a tropical island with no air conditioning. It's a little loud, but the idea is it is gonna be cool enough to not fail.

So I wanted to ask you guys, what software I should put on this thing for her?

Gonna run Win7 64

So I thought:

Office

Firefox

anti malware (what should I install?)

AV (I get norton with my ISP so I'm gonna use that for now)

what educational stuff for a 15 year old boy and fledgling engineer?

what burner?

what multimedia?

what else?

Use of the computer:

video and audio chatting

Web browsing

document writing

listening to music and watching videos

gaming (older games)

reading ebooks

I don't yet know what else, what do you think?
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Here's what I would use:

Anti-malware (if not included in the AV suite): Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware+Spybot S&D (mainly for the immunization feature)

Burning: CDBurnerXP

Multimedia: VLC

If the PC is going to have internet access, it would probably be a good idea to install remote control software, such as VNC or TeamViewer. I use TightVNC on family PCs and it works pretty well.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I never learned how to use VNC, but yes, thanks for mentioning that, that IS a wise one.

I was thinking was there a free encyclopedia?
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

1 edit

HarryH3

Premium Member

If you aren't familiar with VNC, then go with TeamViewer. It's free for personal use and makes remote access extremely easy. You don't have to mess around with opening ports in routers, it just works. You can download it from »www.teamviewer.com During install, select the option to "Make this computer available for remote access".

The interwebs have rendered encyclopedia programs superfluous. Check out:

»www.britannica.com/
»www.encyclopedia.com/
»www.worldbook.com/
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
»www.reference.com/
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

Also depending on what data you need:
CIA World Factbook »www.cia.gov/library/publ ··· actbook/

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
Thank you!

Now one other thing:

I've got 2 120mm fans in the ceiling, 1 in the side window, 1 in the rear, 1 in front of the HDs. They are loud. Now, it gets into the 100's there during the day. On rainy days it cools off a little. So I did need the fans as they have no AC. But I am wondring if any of you have a 5 or 6 fan speed controller for 5.25" bay to sell or if there is a dependable cheap one you can recommend.

The system is really loud (the fans I could afford are some plain Jane Rosewill RFA-120-K Fans.

Secondly, I want to get a cheap LED light strip, a small efficient one, to put in the case. I know it sounds silly, but this is a big deal gift and my 15 year old's pride and joy. I want some cool factor, and lights are cheap. Any recommends?
signmeuptoo94

1 edit

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Ok, see a controller that might work as it wouldn't increase the box size of the case (it has to fit in the shipping box):

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 11992007

It's cheap, it's simple, it matches the case.

OTOH, this is still a budget build and there are other things I need to budget first (getting a pot and pan and stuff like that for them).

It's just that the thing is loud!
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

One thing you can try doing is undervolting the CPU and chipset. That should reduce heat by a decent amount, allowing the fans to run at a lower speed.