uniqs
bhazeltn
Premium Member
join:2011-01-18
Calgary, AB

bhazeltn

Premium Member

Optik TV STB behind wireless

Anyone tried using a STB behind a wireless bridge? Our condo is old enough that there isn't coax run into one of the bedrooms and the cable run I need to do is long and crosses at least 1 doorway.

Will it even work?
schag001
join:2005-06-20
Coquitlam, BC

schag001

Won't work as far as I know.
Wait a bit. There will be a wireless STB solution for you soon.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to bhazeltn

to bhazeltn
I've seen some Bell Fibe and AT&T Uverse customers do that successfully.
Zinc64
join:2013-03-13
Vancouver, BC

Zinc64 to bhazeltn

to bhazeltn
Anyone tried a powerline ethernet kit for their STBs?

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to schag001

Premium Member

to schag001
said by schag001:

I really hope you're wrong. 2.4Ghz/5Ghz is already crowded enough in MUD areas, you guys are just going to make it totally unusable if you try to do H.264 over it. Granted TELUS doesn't really care about people
said by Zinc64:

Yes, it doesn't work well.

AnonTechEDM
@telus.net

AnonTechEDM

Anon

said by pfak:

said by schag001:

I really hope you're wrong. 2.4Ghz/5Ghz is already crowded enough in MUD areas, you guys are just going to make it totally unusable if you try to do H.264 over it. Granted TELUS doesn't really care about people
said by Zinc64:

Yes, it doesn't work well.

I've seen customers use powerline and it worked fine. Like any technology it all depends on many factors. powerline will work good if you have good adaptors, good power cabling and no faulty devices on the circuit. I've heard reports some high draw devices like workout equipment etc can have an effect but your mileage may vary.
bhazeltn
Premium Member
join:2011-01-18
Calgary, AB

bhazeltn

Premium Member

I hadn't given powerline a thought - had a very bad experience with it, but that was at least a decade ago.
I'd rather have cat6 in the walls, but that's just not an option at this time. I can run cable along the ceiling and I might have to go that route, it's just not a clean solution.

I did notice more wireless "networks" pop up in the last couple months after TELUS sent a notice to all the tenants/owners in our complex offering a big discount for a 1 yr contract. Our signal hasn't degraded a lot (basement, vacant unit above and beside us) and I expect with a better access point it will improve.
jitterbug
Premium Member
join:2004-08-18
Calgary, AB

jitterbug to bhazeltn

Premium Member

to bhazeltn
I have tried it, but the results are somewhat mixed. I used a d-link AP in the 5Ghz range and a Linksys WES610N in front of the STB. The SD channels work ok most of the time, but the HD often gets bad macro blocking. The TCP throughput is very high (50Mbps) across the WES610N, but there is still some packet loss that the Optik STBs cannot correct.

Kold
It's all FM
join:2011-03-22
canada

Kold to bhazeltn

to bhazeltn
Wireless STBs were just released. They require a $100 (Customer paid, and then owned) AP connected to the Actiontecx1000H. Since Telus now bills for inside wire work for areas of the home without working lines (CAT5e/RG6 Coax) it's the cheaper, less messy option.

It's 5GHZ and Only used for Telus WiFi STBs. But they also now have a WiFi extender for everything else. (Again, $100 Customer Paid).

The PVR still needs to be wired. No option there.

»www.telus.com/content/tv ··· ware.jsp

AT&T uVerse has been using the same thing for 18ish months. So if you want reviews, look there.