uniqs
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

BART strike 2 delayed

Governor Brown announced a 7 day "inquiry" and no BART strike allowed during the inquiry period.
The 7 day inquiry can be followed by a 60 day cooling off period.

»sanfrancisco.cbslocal.co ··· -strike/

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru

I'm always surprised to see how many people do the super commutes on the local news. Sacramento to San Francisco every day? That's nuts.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

In my case a merger caused me to be "assigned" to duty in SF instead of Concord. The commute is hard enough without the BART negotiation issues.
I cannot take BART but when BART hiccups, 200000 more people get on the roads in my way.
bigboy
join:2000-12-04
Palo Alto, CA

bigboy to PrntRhd

to PrntRhd
Given that any salary increases come straight out of the pockets of BART riders in fare increases, I wonder if these contracts should be up for a public vote.

We have direct democracy in everything else with propositions (and I hate it), we might as well go all the way and start approving these public union contracts.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

Bart workers are well paid.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

Just as a bump, Governor Brown's office says he is prepared to ask the courts for an injunction and a 60 day cooling off period if negotiations don't produce an agreement by midnight Sunday.

The sticky issues are not going to go away even with a 60 day delay, BART management wants to start spending serious money buying new rail cars, and the BART unions want that money spent on employee salaries, medical benefits, and retirement plans.

Please note I am not connected to BART in any way and both sides might disagree on my view of their positions.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

3 edits

Anonymous_ to bigboy

Premium Member

to bigboy
said by bigboy:

Given that any salary increases come straight out of the pockets of BART riders in fare increases, I wonder if these contracts should be up for a public vote.

We have direct democracy in everything else with propositions (and I hate it), we might as well go all the way and start approving these public union contracts.

we all know most people in California are stupid and vote yes on tax increases . LOL

I voted NO on all of them......
Governor Brown is a crappy Governor history repeats itself

you can tell the people that voted for him did not do very well in their history class

he is building a train that no one is never going to use. I'm sure each ticket cost will be about $10,000 to $50,000 other wise they will never recover the cost of the train even in the next billion years

Plenty of better alternatives:
A: rental car
B: your own car
C: other (large bus )
D: airplane

I taken trains for short trips i.e 60 mile trips
the cabin smells like diesel fumes

I prefer Grayhound for longer trips
23hours for a 1,100 miles trip

free wifi 120v power supply what more could one ask for,

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

2 edits

sashwa to PrntRhd

Mod

to PrntRhd
Oh wow - how terrible.

Train Kills Two Workers
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

I doubt this strike will be settled any time soon unless the Legislature forces a binding settlement on the agency and the unions.

The unions objected to any change to the 1972-vintage "past practices"/work rules and decided that any of the proposed changes were enough to go out on strike over.

BART management stated the work rules require revision because the operational efficiency savings to found there were the source of the pool of money for increased wages.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

I guess only time will tell, Prnt. I wouldn't be surprised if you were right though.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Veloslave to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
VERY well paid, super cheap bennies and free retirement. They have been living on another planet for a long time and now they are trying to avoid returning to the planet the rest of us live on.

All the pluses/benefits and having to sit in a booth for 70k + a year... they think it is a right. Meanwhile our government is not fighting IF they should borrow enough money to stay in business... the argument is over HOW MUCH to borrow... since we don't pay enough in taxes for their games.

Grrrrrr

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz
446.4 4.0

1 recommendation

sashwa to PrntRhd

Mod

to PrntRhd
A ticker banner just came across NBC - BART strike is over - Tentative agreement between management and union - They hope to have trains moving by 6am.

BART strike over as deal Monday night finally ends labor war

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Veloslave

Premium Member

to Veloslave
Click for full size
said by Veloslave:

VERY well paid,

Ain't that the truth! The above are existing salaries, before any increases resulting from the latest contract.

Lots of folks still don't have jobs and these clowns have the nerve to strike.