spc
Search similar:

uniqs
frank124c
join:2003-12-04
Brooklyn, NY

frank124c

aereo

My prediction: The big corporations such as TWC will destroy themselves with their own greed while a small startup like Aereo and possibly other such services will survive and thrive.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

2 recommendations

silbaco

Premium Member

And how will people be able to watch Aereo when they use Time Warner Cable for internet access?

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to frank124c

Premium Member

to frank124c
How, exactly, is TWC the greedy one, when CBS is asking for a (supposedly) 600% increase over their prior carriage agreement?

The fact that TWC sees Aero as an ally should be informative.

anon_anon
@comcastbusiness.net

anon_anon to frank124c

Anon

to frank124c
Lets see here. We have Time Warner, a massive corporation that holds many media properties and a physical network infrastructure which is the sole ISP in many areas. Then we have Aereo, an internet startup that relies on a legally unproven loophole to redistribute OTA broadcasts without the permission of the broadcasters, over an internet with a last mile largely controlled by large ISPs and media companies like Time Warner and Comcast. Yeah, Aereo really has an advantage. :P

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to frank124c

Premium Member

to frank124c
An enemy of my enemy is my friend.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to frank124c

Premium Member

to frank124c
said by frank124c:

My prediction: The big corporations such as TWC will destroy themselves with their own greed while a small startup like Aereo and possibly other such services will survive and thrive.

Not going to happen as longs as corporations like TWC own the only usable last mile connection to the home in their territories. Aereo still needs to go over TWC wires to the home in RWC areas.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to anon_anon

to anon_anon
said by anon_anon :

Then we have Aereo, an internet startup that relies on a legally unproven loophole to redistribute OTA broadcasts without the permission of the broadcasters

Not true. Also, permission isn't needed since users must be in the physical area to sign up, and each user has their own mini antennas.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by morbo:

Not true. Also, permission isn't needed since users must be in the physical area to sign up,...

Well they have to pretend to be in the area. Their web page seem perfectly content with my "new home" in central park.

morbo

morbo

You signed up and your credit card was billed successfully using a central park address?

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

I did not complete the sign as I have no interest in NYC TV, but it accept the zip code and location of a building(restroom/concession stand?) inside the park, and because my CC cards allow untraceable/non-identifiable one time "cyber-safe" transaction codes I doubt I would be blocked on that basis.
hchen42
join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

hchen42 to silbaco

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

And how will people be able to watch Aereo when they use Time Warner Cable for internet access?

There are ways. I am on TWC and we have no problem getting to Aereo. Trick is "vpn". Now finding a cheap and FAST reliable vpn is the trick.

All these "censoring" is making me clamoring for the wild east freedom of China (tic).

morbo

morbo to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

I did not complete the sign as I have no interest in NYC TV, but it accept the zip code and location of a building(restroom/concession stand?) inside the park, and because my CC cards allow untraceable/non-identifiable one time "cyber-safe" transaction codes I doubt I would be blocked on that basis.

Those numbers are still linked to a physical billing address. Most likely, your idea wouldn't work.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by morbo:

Those numbers are still linked to a physical billing address. Most likely, your idea wouldn't work.

Only at the CC company, the vendor and even the in between charge processors only see an approved charge for $xx.xx linked to order#xxxxxx, if nothing needs physical delivery it's very much like a prepaid debit card.
I had an extended discusion with one of my banks, trying to decide if this was a good idea, if it was safe/smart for me to accept one time "virtual" payments from unidentified clients. Turns out not to be verifiable as ID as a $1 charge or hold would be.