spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wolfereeno

join:2013-08-05
New York, NY

Need replacement modem for TWC but with a phone jack!

I use the bundled phone/internet but want to replace my modem to avoid monthly charges and get better performance.

I purchased a moto 6141 not realizing it doesn't have phone support. Motorola says they don't have an equivalent modem that does (at least that they sell retail).

What modem's equivalent to the 6141 but has phone features?

I'd really hate to switch phone service. We use the international dialing often and it works out well for us.

Thx!

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
TWC won't charge for their modem if used for phone only. They also won't allow customers to use their own phone modem (EMTA).

You can use your moto 6141 modem for the internet side.

So you'll need BOTH connected.

ramjet73

join:2002-12-22
Honolulu, HI

1 edit
reply to wolfereeno
I don't think TWC allows customer owned eMTA's (cable modems with integrated voice adapters).

Save some money and get an Obihai device. The OBI100 is less than $40 on Amazon and provides free calls to the USA and Canada and low international rates via Google Voice over your Internet connection, at least through the end of this year. It also supports a number of VoIP providers that are more cost effective than TWC (I use voip.ms as a backup to GV).

If you really want/need to keep the TWC phone service the eMTA will be provided at no charge and you will have two separate cable modems and coax connections.

edit: Ninja'd by DrDrew!

wolfereeno

New York, NY
Thanks guys. We need to call overseas all the time so I don't want to take a chance with an unreliable service or the rates going up. Our friends and family are in 20 different countries.

I guess I'll install a splitter and try using both. What a pain the ass though!

djc6

join:2007-11-28
Cleveland, OH
reply to wolfereeno
wolfereeno, I would stick with the time warner VOIP. I use it all the time for the past 2 years and I've NEVER had any call quality issues. Since April I've been trying Google Voice via an Obi110 device like ramjet73 and it sucks in comparison. I can always hear the other caller crystal clear, but I'm frequently told that my voice is all choppy. It turns out that my voice gets all choppy when I'm using backblaze (an online backup service) even though I've capped it at 2Mbps upload and I have the 30/5 Mbps tier. If I turn off my online backups, my voice immediately clears up. I decided it just wasn't worth messing with all the settings on the Obi device, QoS settings on the router, etc... when the time warner VOIP service "just works" and is affordable.

I also went the SB6141 and splitter route to avoid the fee.

atcotr

@rr.com
I save 75% off the TWC phone service by using an independent phone company. Something like Vitelity, Callcentric, or Voip.ms. If you setup Google Voice (a free service) as your home phone, you're going to get what you pay for. Even my grandma has switched to quality VoIP service.

ramjet73

Honolulu, HI

2 edits
Agreed. As mentioned in my earlier post I use voip.ms as backup to GV and I can easily access it by prefixing my dialed number with "**2" or configure it as my primary service for transparent dialing. However, VoIP in general is sensitive to upstream bandwidth and if your Internet usage degrades voice quality it is best to stay with the TWC service and use a dedicated Internet connection.

I'm sure TWC uses third party VoIP provider(s) for international voice service, so if your upstream bandwidth for Internet service is not heavily impacted by hosting servers, using backup services, etc., depending on usage they may still be less expensive than the TWC VoIP service.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
said by ramjet73:

I'm sure TWC uses third party VoIP provider(s) for international voice service, so if your upstream bandwidth for Internet service is not heavily impacted by hosting servers, using backup services, etc., depending on usage they may still be less expensive than the TWC VoIP service.

All carriers use some form of 3rd party when routing calls internationally depending on the country -- even the majors AT&T, VZ don't have "access" into every country and obtain it from some 3rd party.

atcotr

@rr.com
reply to ramjet73
"However, VoIP in general is sensitive to upstream bandwidth and if your Internet usage degrades voice quality it is best to stay with the TWC service and use a dedicated Internet connection."

Not necessarily true. Those EMTAs, Vonage ATAs, AT&T Microcells, and router/ATA combos neutralize this issue by using QoS. In my personal setup, an Asus RT-N16 running Tomato firmware has this job. Tomato has a very powerful QoS feature. Set the max speed (both up and down) to 90% of advertised, create a rule identifying the ATA by MAC address, and guarantee it 100Kbps (200K if using two lines). In a torture test of BitTorrent traffic saturating upload and Netflix+Steam hammering download, my VoIP line was crystal clear.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to wolfereeno
said by wolfereeno:

I use the bundled phone/internet but want to replace my modem to avoid monthly charges and get better performance.

I purchased a moto 6141 not realizing it doesn't have phone support. Motorola says they don't have an equivalent modem that does (at least that they sell retail).

What modem's equivalent to the 6141 but has phone features?

I'd really hate to switch phone service. We use the international dialing often and it works out well for us.

Thx!

twc does not charge for phone modems
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

ramjet73

Honolulu, HI
reply to atcotr
said by atcotr :

Not necessarily true. Those EMTAs, Vonage ATAs, AT&T Microcells, and router/ATA combos neutralize this issue by using QoS.

The effect of heavy upstream bandwidth usage by applications other than voice can certainly be reduced by tweaking QoS and other parameters, but the OP (wolfereeno) specifically stated above that he didn't want to get into that. For his requirements the dedicated connection for VoIP makes sense even though it may not be the most elegant solution.

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY
said by ramjet73:

The effect of heavy upstream bandwidth usage by applications other than voice can certainly be reduced by tweaking QoS and other parameters, but the OP (wolfereeno) specifically stated above that he didn't want to get into that.

Funny...I don't see anywhere the OP "specifically" stated that (i.e. tweaking QoS). All he stated was he would "really hate to switch phone service" and it would be a "pain in the ass" to use a splitter for both internet and phone modems.

ramjet73

Honolulu, HI
said by jpatton1979:

Funny...I don't see anywhere the OP "specifically" stated that (i.e. tweaking QoS). All he stated was he would "really hate to switch phone service" and it would be a "pain in the ass" to use a splitter for both internet and phone modems.

You're right, it was actually djc6 that said that, but the OP said "I don't want to take a chance with an unreliable service" and sharing a single Internet connection between voice and data can lead to that unless you tweak QoS and other parameters which may cause some reliability issues until they are optimized. I do that myself but there are many people that don't want to bother or take the risk of possible disruption during the process. VoIP is definitely not a one size fits all service.

wolfereeno

New York, NY
reply to wolfereeno
Thanks all, I'm going to keep the modem, go the splitter route, and see if my performance is faster.