uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

2 edits

[Parts Check] A qustion about UPS units

Does your UPS unit keeps beeping till the power comes back.? Sometimes we have power outage for more than 15min. If the outage lasts for more than 10. i have to turn the unit off.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
Mine does this too, drives me insane. I'm sitting there in the pitch black and this thing is beeping every 30 seconds to let me know the power is out, gee thanks.

Apparently on my cheap unit (it's just a small one to keep my NAS from shutting down hard) there's no way to disable it either. I might open the thing up and look for the speaker one of these days.

Premium
Birmingham, AL
Yep. I have this one »www.cyberpowersystems.com/produc···0HG.html what kind do you have?

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
reply to 47717768
Some do some don't. My Tripp-Lite units have a silence button.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to 47717768
APC Back-UPS 550 and it is way loud

Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 edit
I would not call our units cheap. I would say they are basic units.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to 47717768
All of my APC's, even the little 350VA model that powers the cable modem, router and switch, have the ability to disable the beep. But.... they have to be connected to a PC with APC's PowerChute software.

The choices are A) Enable alarm at all times, B) Disable alarm at all times or C) Disable alarm when the PC is in hibernation (This mode also has a checkbox that lets you choose "or between the hours of"... and drop downs for time). I have mine set to stay silent between 8 PM and 8 AM.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
reply to 47717768
The Cyberpower's can be set through software to mute the alarm so it doesn't wake you up needlessly during the night.

Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to HarryH3
Yea. But when you are in bed, and the PC is turned off, it would not be possible. Or software can program the unit for offline function or mode?

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
reply to 47717768
On the older RS-232 Serial-port APC Smart-UPS units that I've worked with, you can use an open source program called APCTEST to change the "beepstate" alarm value in the unit's EEPROM to remain quiet and only sound the alarm upon a Low Battery condition. (Not sure about the newer USB models, though)...
See Here for more info: »www.apcupsd.com/

HTH,

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

All of my APC's, even the little 350VA model that powers the cable modem, router and switch, have the ability to disable the beep. But.... they have to be connected to a PC with APC's PowerChute software.

I could look into the software the thing is I'd have to figure out how to change my setup (unless the software changes something on the unit and it stays that way?) because right now the UPS is only connected to the NAS box which can monitor the state, shut itself off and shut the UPS off.

For now I just have it set up so that instead of waiting until the battery gets low, the NAS shuts itself and the UPS off after 60 seconds without power. That way at least the beeping will stop after a minute if power is lost while I'm sleeping.

Premium
Birmingham, AL
I agree. I do not like installing any software that comes with the hardware accept drivers that are required. If software somehow could mod the unit promptly till you make a change the settings your self i may give it a try.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to 47717768
said by 47717768:

Yep. I have this one »www.cyberpowersystems.com/produc···0HG.html what kind do you have?

Go into powerpanel and check the button to mute it.

Premium
Birmingham, AL
Will those settings stay on if the computer is turned off?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

1 recommendation

said by 47717768:

Yes it does, just tried it.

Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

said by Subaru:

said by 47717768:

Yes it does, just tried it.

Thanks man. It has worked
Now i do not have to worry about waking everyone in the house during the nap time. I also have thought this software is only OS based, but not the hardware.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
yeah I assume it just writes it to EEPROM then saves it, the software is just for monitoring.

Premium
Birmingham, AL
I am also wondering about, after a cold boot of the OS. Are you always getting a PopUp notification from the task bar that say's "UPS running of the AC line /of the battery" or sometimes?
For some reason i am not always getting this notification after a cold boot from the OS.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
No I don't get it all the time

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

yeah I assume it just writes it to EEPROM then saves it, the software is just for monitoring.

This is exactly correct, at least with the APC units. Once the flag is set, it stays that way until you run the software again to change it.
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
reply to 47717768
My CP 1500 beeps once and stays quiet.
--
Time you ain't no friend of mine.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to 47717768
What fool decided that having a home/small office UPS beep on power failure was even slightly useful?

I know the power is off. Because, for example, the lights just went out.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
If I'm sleeping I don't mind being woke up to shut everything down.
--
It's a beautiful day.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to dave
said by dave:

What fool decided that having a home/small office UPS beep on power failure was even slightly useful?

I know the power is off. Because, for example, the lights just went out.

True but depending on the UPS, the speed at which the beeping happens can also be an indicator that the UPS battery itself is about to run outta juice and that can also be useful if you are in a prolonged power outage (Back UPS XS 1000 - runtime with a DSL modem / router and CFL lightbulb, a shade over three hours :P)

NefCanuck

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to 47717768
On newer APCs, you can disable it from the front panel. Pretty much all configuration can be done from the front panel on the newer (less than 5 y/o) APCs. Probably need to find the manual though, since there are so few buttons, the navigation and selection process is rather "interesting".

keno5net

join:2002-01-05
Milwaukee, WI
reply to 47717768
The warning is useful when the power to just the computer circuit goes out. If your computer is off just turn off the UPS and there will be no beep when the power goes out during the night.

These small systems don't have the run time to power much through an extended power outage and are usually used to provide power long enough to properly shut down the system after which they are shut off and stop making noise.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to 47717768
My newest UPS lets you hold one of the buttons to silence it from there instead of requiring it be done via PC software.

That said, they can get pretty loud when their fans are spinning up to provide power during those times.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
reply to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

This is exactly correct, at least with the APC units. Once the flag is set, it stays that way until you run the software again to change it.

...or you can just hit the "ON" button when it's beeping and it'll silence it until the next outage or the battery gets low.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Yep I think mine does that too