uniqs

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

[request] text.dslreports

I know that it is being redirected to the main url while it is being optimized. But is there an eta of when it will be back up?

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

fourboxers

Mod

Re: text.dslreports

It has been retired
»Re: Something changed, and if it isn't a bug, I don't/do like it
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to PoloDude

Premium Member

to PoloDude
Modern phones can easily use the main site, and browsers should have the option to make the site fit the screen if possible. Even on my old smartphone which I no longer use I had this option using opera mobile. I found the text version limited anyway, and it seemed like they just kept it up while not planning on updating it.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to PoloDude

Premium Member

to PoloDude
I used to use the text version maybe 4-5 years ago when I had a older phone, helped when not in a 3G area but most phones now should be able to use the main site.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin to PoloDude

Mod

to PoloDude
It isn't going to come back for quite a while, if at all.

Honestly I'd rather put effort into responsive CSS which performs a similar function - unless you're using lynx, of course.

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

Sorry Justin. I find the main site quite a pain to use on my droid bionic. It is too much site crammed into the screen. Lots of zooming and panning. I found that although there was a few small bugs with the Text version , it worked very well and was easy to use.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

1 edit

justin

Mod

the "main site" being, what, exactly.

So far all I have done is to improve the responsive CSS and cut clutter for forums and topics. Are you talking about the home page, or forum and topic views? text.dslreports.com barely implemented more than forums and ISP news posts anyway.

How is the nytimes home page on your droid, do you have to pan and zoom it as well?

edit: the user agent for Droid Bionic contains "mobile safari" which I'll use to trigger iphone mode. That might help at least for the forums and topics.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Readability wise, HUGE difference in your example of the ny times and dslr on my HTC One.
I end up waiting til i get home to go back on the site half the time now.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

you're explicitly using the mobile site mobile.nytimes.com ..

Interestingly, your droid is not doing the right thing with those three columns of reviews on the home page. If I shrink my browser down, they get stacked after a certain width. Visit »/reviews, see three columns, now shrink it down and at one point they will stack. It is strange that is not happening on your browser (it does on the iphone).

How does the droid do on this page?
»www.responsivegridsystem ··· tem.html
Are the columns stacked vertically.

if the droid is not paying any attention to the media screen CSS, it would be hard to make one site that serves both desktop and the droid at the same time.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

Click for full size
All i did was open up my browser and go to the site like an average user would. I have to manually go to menu and select "desktop mode" to get a non mobile site.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

when I got to nytimes on my phone I get the desktop site by default.

Anyway that part is not really relevant. What I'm curious about is why your browser is not stacking stackable columns with a narrow display width. Because if that doesn't work, then nothing I do will help you.

The trend now, thank god, is not to build a separate mobile site under a different domain name, it is to simply have the style sheet lay the content out differently (hiding sections if necessary) in narrow devices.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

I'm just using the standard chrome. The beta chrome on android does the same thing.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

well rome wasn't built in a day: there is very little responsive CSS and although it works for me, I don't yet know why it isn't working for you. Not that it will help you much as the home page isn't any different.

But if you view a forum or a topic, from the droid the site should see mobile safari in the user agent and cut out some of the unnecessary columns and details. Refer to attached screen shot.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

The forum's is much better on the mobile, like above. If i had the option to hide the right sidebar on mobile, i would totally do that. (since i used the mobile site to read news, not forums really) But i understand what your saying. No worries there. Keep up the hard work though!

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to justin

Premium Member

to justin
OK it is with how Firefox Handel's the site. If I try is it formats it in a mobile friendly way. FF just brings up the full desktop site

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ to djdanska

Premium Member

to djdanska
That responsive test site shows the same on my Galaxy S4 running Android 4.2.2 and Chrome. I scrolled down further and the only one that didn't seemed stacked exactly the same was 8 columns which showed 2 rows of 4 blocks. I'm not sure what it should look like but I wanted to reply that the posters screenshot matched mine. I wasn't clear from Justin reply if he felt the screenshot should display differently.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin to PoloDude

Mod

to PoloDude
firefox on what?
justin

justin to GeekNJ

Mod

to GeekNJ
It should stack vertically, I'm glad it does.
What I have to figure out is why "/reviews" allegedly doesn't stack vertically on android, using the same responsive CSS three column layout, but _does_ switch to stack vertically if I shrink Chrome, or firefox or safari narrow, under a desktop operating system.

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to justin

Premium Member

to justin
On droid bionic running 4.1.2. Jellybean? Not unlocked

GeekNJ
Premium Member
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:

What I have to figure out is why "/reviews" allegedly doesn't stack vertically on android, using the same responsive CSS three column layout, but _does_ switch to stack vertically if I shrink Chrome, or firefox or safari narrow, under a desktop operating system.

I'm running a stock Samsung Galaxy S4 and /reviews stacks fine. It's OS 4.2.2 and Chrome. In Chrome after the reviews it has a row of icons (Fav forums, etc) and nothing else. On the default browser that came with the OS, the reviews stack but I noticed a bunch of info after the Unhappy reviews which looks like a full home page. I wasn't logged in on the built-in browser so after logging in, the extra page content after the reviews went away.

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to justin

Premium Member

to justin
There was an update to FF today. It made no difference. It will still only view the full desktop site. Not a mobile formatted page as IE does.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to PoloDude

Mod

to PoloDude
I made a few more changes for mobile:

IMs pop-ups should not position themselves partially off screen, and are smaller if the device isn't desktop size
If you shrink the home page down in width, at some point the review block will just vanish
The right column of the home page isn't so fixated on occupying desktop-style width
Posted photos from mobiles with orientation tags are rotated correctly
justin

justin to PoloDude

Mod

to PoloDude
And some more:
On a mobile browser (that is recognized as such) the top switches to a mini logo and blue strip, and "larger" mini bar if you have one positioned at the top. The font for the title of the page shrinks as well.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Vchat20 to PoloDude

Premium Member

to PoloDude
Justin: I am curious, you mention it goes by user agent to provide the proper CSS for mobile? What specifically are you watching for at this moment. I only bring this up because there are quite a few non-standard mobile browsers out there and a few people posting here using something other than default (Such as Firefox's mobile browser, Opera Mini/Mobile, etc..).

I don't know if there's an easier way to simply identify mobile devices broadly without identifying individual browsers. :|

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

I'm increasingly adding some responsive CSS touches which don't require any user agent sniffing. For example take a single news story eg »Bill Gates: People Dying of Malaria Don't Need Google Loon [55] comments then shrink your browser width. You will see the related links box vanish. Then you will see the story and comments jump to take the full width of the page, and the area to the left of each comment jump down to a narrower size as well (edit: ok that last part doesn't happen yet, it is triggered by user agent).

But the user-agent detection, which triggers other things in forums and topics, is a long regular expression of various phone and mobile-like devices.

Vchat20
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

Vchat20

Premium Member

Stock android browser

Stock android browser

Firefox Mobile

Opera Mini
Just out of curiosity I have checked on mine and get the same thing on the home page and Firefox and Opera pull the desktop versions of the home page. I understand you are working on it. No gripes from me. Personally, I'm a forum user 99% of the time here. But simply extra data points to throw in here.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

If you are talking about the home pages, specifically the 60:30 split with a wide column (news), and a narrow column on the right, I haven't done anything there yet to help mobile devices except suppress the review block that the desktop page shows.

Vchat20
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

Vchat20

Premium Member

Once again, sorry for the late reply. I think I see what you are getting at now. Had to rethink a few times to get my own brain to understand what you are pointing out. lol. The top 3-section table of reviews is what you are referring to. I think the more pressing issue is getting the right side bar either disappeared or moved. The one with the ISP spotlight, review finder, etc.. Maybe in the same manner as the reviews block when the window size goes below a certain point shove the contents of the right column below the main news column? Just a thought. If that could be managed, it would be a drastic improvement in usability for the home page.

GeekNJ
Premium Member
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

Things look funky this morning on my Android phone.

The envelopes are gone and there's a small colored triangle, but I seem to have lost the ability to mark threads read by clicking the envelope. Am I missing where this functionality all exists? If not, it's gone please bring that functionality.

It looks like the forum names show if there is no threads to display but is missing if there are threads displayed. Can't attach a screenshot from my phone though everything seems to go well with attach and upload.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

the envelopes are suppressed on narrow screens replaced by the triangle markers for new or updated topics. If you want to mark a topic read just click the blue arrow then press back.