Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bdixon83
Premium
join:2013-08-05
Hudson, FL

[Tampa] Thinking about switching from Verizon to Bright House

Long time follower of DSL Reports but 1st time poster. I figured this evening was as good as any to start.
I am thinking about switching my TV,Internet,& Phone from Verizon to Bright House. I use a Ceton InfiniTV 6 and several windows media center pc's for my tv service. My question is, do I need to request anything specific when speaking with a sales rep, or should telling him that I need a multi stream cable card and a tuning adapter suffice? Also I would like to have a modem that can be put into bridge mode so I can use my own router for internet service. Is that something I need to request while speaking with a sales rep or do I just explain that to the technician when he arrives?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148

1 edit

Re: [Tampa] Thinking about switching from Verizon to Bright Hous

Simply tell them how many multistream cards you need and of course the tuning adapter. Do not mention the Ceton because this is not something sales reps will see often...don't want any confusion there. Now confirming you have media center PC's on each TV right? That pesky DRM issue is well... I can take care of putting your modem into bridge mode here if you like and if you have any trouble with the cable card install let me know right away in the direct forum
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

bdixon83
Premium
Hudson, FL

Thanks. I appreciate it. I will have to keep an eye out for the DRM issue. I have not ran across that with Fios TV. Had issue on initial setup where cable card was activated but wasn't paired but that is about it

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to bdixon83

Remember, with us and others the CCI bit is set to copy once. This means you will need to use Windows Media Center PC's or Media Center appliances to view programming live or otherwise on the other TV's. It sounds as if you have this down but just need you to understand up front given the circumstances.

Wolfpanther

join:2013-06-12
Kissimmee, FL

Is this the reason I can't save Hot In Cleveland to a DVD from my BHN DVR but I can from my Dish DVR/Hopper?

ethanwa

join:2009-02-24
reply to bdixon83

Just an FYI... it looks like Bright House only supports 4 tuners per tuning adapter currently, so your InfiniTV 6 might not work with 6 channels at once. See here: »support.brighthouse.com/Article/···er-3127/

quote:
The tuning adapter currently supports up to four tuners on a single unidirectional device. Support for up to six tuners on a unidirectional device is in development.
Correct me if I'm wrong and things have changed.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to bdixon83

I am checking....

bdixon83
Premium
Hudson, FL
reply to ethanwa

Thanks for the heads up. I will wait for confirmation on this. That would kinda stink to have 2 extra tuners that I could do nothing with.

bdixon83
Premium
Hudson, FL
reply to Wolfpanther

I think this is pretty common nowadays with most service providers. Don't quote me, but I believe Verizon has the copy once flag set for all encrypted channels and only your basic local channels do not have this flag. I know for sure that all of the premium movie channels are set with copy once flag.

bdixon83
Premium
Hudson, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Thanks. Let me know what you find out about the tuners. Another question I thought about was whether or not I would want to purchase my own modem versus renting one. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that I would need two modems, one for internet and another (MTA) modem for phone service to avoid the modem rental fee? What modems would you recommend that interface well with Bright House for internet and voice service? Are their any modems that can be found at local electronics stores that provide both internet and MTA service or is it better to keep the two separated?

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House

You can use your own cable Modem as long as its one from the approved Modem's list
»support.brighthouse.com/article/···ce-9109/
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 60/5 Motorola SB6141

bdixon83
Premium
Hudson, FL

Thanks. That will definitely help when I am shopping around. I am leaning towards the Arris TG862G since it DOCSIS 3.0 compliant and also supports telephony. Anyone have any personal experience with this model? I would like to be able to use my own router with this modem even though it has a 4 lan ports and built in wireless. I am wondering if it is possible to bridge this modem. I am reading through some reviews about it but have not found anything mentioning this yet.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to bdixon83

Yes it can be bridged.

bdixon83
Premium
Hudson, FL

Good to know. Thank you Sir. Any info on number of tuners limitation for cable card devices?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by bdixon83:

Good to know. Thank you Sir. Any info on number of tuners limitation for cable card devices?

I'm working on that now...sorry for the delay. I know 4 for sure...doubling checking 6.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

newtampaguy

join:2013-07-02
New Port Richey, FL
reply to bdixon83

why would you downgrade ? fios is uncompressed data brighthouse uses compression ! plus I get showtime and CBS, they dont carry it anymore I just saw on news, thats silly, thats a main channel... What happened emplyee people ?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 edits

said by newtampaguy:

why would you downgrade ? fios is uncompressed data brighthouse uses compression !

Who told you that ?

L

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to bdixon83

said by bdixon83:

At this time 4

ethanwa

join:2009-02-24

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by bdixon83:

At this time 4

I guess this question is related to my other thread about CableCARDs so I will ask it here.... if I have three InfiniTV 4 devices, does that mean I will also need three tuning adapters, one for each four-tuner card? And will all three be free-of-charge from Bright House?

With Comcast we don't have SDV so I never had to have tuning adapters before.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to bdixon83

I have never seen someone use that many in one system so I can't answer that question. The TA's are no charge.

bdixon83
Premium
Hudson, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Well. I am signed up. Install is tomorrow evening. I appreciate your help and and assistance in answering all of my questions. I bought a Arris TG862G so between getting that in bridge mode and the Cable Card pairing with the Ceton, I hope everything goes smooth with the tech. I will post back tomorrow hopefully with good news. Thanks to everyone else for their helpful tips also.

billd104

join:2009-01-30
Oldsmar, FL

Congrats in advance. Gary is the real asset to BHN on these forums. If it's not right, he'll do his best to make it so. He'll tell you straight up how it is. Good or bad.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

reply to bdixon83

said by bdixon83:

Well. I am signed up. Install is tomorrow evening. I appreciate your help and and assistance in answering all of my questions. I bought a Arris TG862G so between getting that in bridge mode and the Cable Card pairing with the Ceton, I hope everything goes smooth with the tech. I will post back tomorrow hopefully with good news. Thanks to everyone else for their helpful tips also.

Will you have your Arris tomorrow as well? Do me a favor and pop me a thread in our direct forums. Given your special needs want to make sure that everything goes smoothly.
--

bdixon83
Premium
Hudson, FL

Yes Sir. Will have the Arris tomorrow morning. I will open a Direct thread in just a few. Thanks for making time for this. I appreciate it.

bdixon83
Premium
Hudson, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Created Direct Forum Thread.

newtampaguy

join:2013-07-02
New Port Richey, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

brother in law, works at head office or something like that for time warner up north hes a engineer or some network ring I think he said, he said fios doesnt compress video data or internet data, why picture looks good...why is that bad ? was i not supposed to say that ? my bad.. if so.. I didnt know...

billd104

join:2009-01-30
Oldsmar, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

My In-Laws have FiOS and I have to be honest, IMHO, their picture doesn't seem to better or even as good as mine on BHN and the set top boxes / DVR's are laggy and light years behind the BHN products. They complain about it all the time but hey, they didn't ask me when the decided to switch and now are stuck with it for another year at least.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to newtampaguy

said by newtampaguy:

brother in law, works at head office or something like that for time warner up north hes a engineer or some network ring I think he said, he said fios doesnt compress video data or internet data, why picture looks good...why is that bad ? was i not supposed to say that ? my bad.. if so.. I didnt know...

If he works where you say he works none of what you posted in that other thread would have been posted because it just isn't accurate.

To be clear FiOS does not compress video while virtually every other provider does. If done right and it normally is there is no impact to the user experience whatsoever.

As for the rest of the post in your original rambling thread comaring ftth to fttn, cable and satellite latency...none of it was accurate...sorry it just wasn't. But since you are now a FiOS customer you will find further discussion about your new provider here »Verizon FiOS

Good luck...
--

bdixon83
Premium
Hudson, FL
reply to newtampaguy

Don't take this the wrong way, but I would like to clarify some of the comments I see. First off, It is true that Verizon's video feed is delivered as mpeg-2 which is considered uncompressed. While this does provide great picture quality most of the time, it is also dependent on how they receive their feeds from the source. Just as one example, HBO's source feed is mpeg-4. Verizon receives this and actually converts the feed to mpeg-2 currently. I am sure there are other channels like this as well, but that is the first example that I thought of. While mpeg-2 video seems great, it also has its downsides as well. Verizon is running out of QAM space and therefore running out space to add HD content. They have supposedly been in the process for about 2 years now of switching to mpeg-4 just like other providers currently use so they can free up some of their QAM space, but until they do , you will not see much new HD content with Verizon. The transition to mpeg-4 will probably still take a long time for them to complete because they have tons of set top boxes and other infrastructure equipment deployed that will not work with mpeg-4. I have been with Verizon since their initial roll out in the Tampa Bay area in 2007, and while I am not knocking their service, I have definitely seen a decline in their quality of service and their willingness to continue to upgrade their infrastructure. Apologies for the long rant, just wanted to give my 2 cents since I am coming from Fios to Bright House.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to bdixon83

said by bdixon83:

Long time follower of DSL Reports but 1st time poster. I figured this evening was as good as any to start.
I am thinking about switching my TV,Internet,& Phone from Verizon to Bright House. I use a Ceton InfiniTV 6 and several windows media center pc's for my tv service. My question is, do I need to request anything specific when speaking with a sales rep, or should telling him that I need a multi stream cable card and a tuning adapter suffice? Also I would like to have a modem that can be put into bridge mode so I can use my own router for internet service. Is that something I need to request while speaking with a sales rep or do I just explain that to the technician when he arrives?

How are things going since your install yesterday?
--