spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Melissa2009B
join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

Got to the bottom of this Comcast slowdown and stall problem

I posted the thread awhile back: »[Connectivity] Alternative to Comncast? I'm furious!

Now I think I've gotten to the bottom of this. It's NOT the fact that we're using wireless. We run fine for awhile, then it starts slowing down and slowing down, to where it takes longer and longer for web pages to load. It started happening again Saturday and got worse and worse until today, when web pages were taking minutes to load, or not loading at all.

So I went to call support and of course I'm on hold and it's asking if I tried rebooting. OK, no, so I hang up and reboot the TG862G/CT. It works!

So what the heck is wrong with this TG862G/CT then, that it works fine for a week or so, then slows to a crawl and needs to be rebooted.

It would be tempting just to put it on a clock timer so that the power shut off, say between 2 and 4 AM all the time, but it has a backup battery and our phone service is with Comcast too - if we had an emergency, no phones ( except the cell phones ).

Is there a firmware bug or something that might be fixed or updated.

I'm NOT a network tech but am a former electronics R&D tech from the 60's, so maybe I can figure it out?

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

PM me your mac address and i will take a look and pass on your info to the team that supports that device..

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg to Melissa2009B

Premium Member

to Melissa2009B
The Arris, like all gateway devices are qwerky. I'd suggest you ask Comcast to put it in bridge mode and use your own router.
rmdir
join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

rmdir to Melissa2009B

to Melissa2009B
I'm seeing a similar problem here in Chicago. I am at 105/20, and download speed dropped last night. Right now I am getting about 2 Mbps down, but still 20 Mbps up.
Melissa2009B
join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B to NetDog

to NetDog
Thanks NetDog, but the tech called today about the appointment, we talked and he said that the phone people told me wrong. They don't add long runs of ethernet and don't carry the cable in bulk. ( they were sending him over to run ethernet instead of the wireless, assuming the wireless was getting interference ) But he said that it had something to do with the fact that we also use phone in that modem, and there are some problems with the settings between the modem and their outside box? He had me reset the modem, did some stuff with the settings from his end, rebooted it again from his end, and said to try it for a week - he thinks this will solve the problem.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

Ok cool.. Glad to hear it..