Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool

Re: I love TOR

said by brianiscool:

I used it for downloading. Lightning fast for Linux distros !

Tor should not exist. In theory, it was to help the poor oppressed of China and Iran and others behind national firewalls get access to prohibited web sites. In reality, it is nothing but a mechanism to help law breakers avoid capture by the police.

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

winsyrstrife

Premium Member

That's a rather broad brush...

While it is used for illegal purposes, some laws have been broken in past history for good reason. Downloading files isn't necessarily one I'd put in the list, but perhaps Tor is used in the future (or now even) for some valid form of communication, for someone to mask themselves from a perceived oppressor?

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Right... because you repeatedly saying that will only make it more and more true the more you say it. All laws "über alles" huh.

TelecomEng
@rr.com

10 recommendations

TelecomEng to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Tor should not exist.... In reality, it is nothing but a mechanism to help law breakers avoid capture by the police.

That could be said of a lot of things: guns, cars, motorcycles, ski masks, encryption...

Just because someone can use something to break the law does not mean it should not exist.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5
"Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best!" Get off your knees and stand, slave.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

1 recommendation

Jim Kirk to winsyrstrife

Premium Member

to winsyrstrife
said by winsyrstrife:

That's a rather broad brush...

Not surprising, considering the source.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
"it is nothing but a mechanism to help law breakers avoid capture by the police."

I'm sure that is exactly how what the police in China and Iran think of it.

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Tor should not exist. In theory, it was to help the poor oppressed of China and Iran and others behind national firewalls get access to prohibited web sites. In reality, it is nothing but a mechanism to help law breakers avoid capture by the police.

A very simplistic view from someone who lives in a black and white world. The REAL world happens to have a multitude of shades of gray as well as COLORS!

People can SAY all kinds of illegal and terrible things, so do you propose people's mouths be sealed from birth? People can THINK all kinds of illegal and terrible thoughts, do you want brains to be removed at birth? People could potentially advocate for all kinds of illegal and terrible things right here on these forums, so should DSLReports be shut down?

It's unfortunate that someone will always find a way of perverting something good into something bad, that is human nature. It certainly does not mean that we should throw away all good things to be protected from the bad. That's Patriot Act thinking.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to FFH5

to FFH5
I only downloaded one program. I'm going to try multiple ISO's of Ubuntu. Maybe I can pull 9MB's.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

axus to FFH5

to FFH5
Actually it's a great way to participate in chat rooms and message boards with immature people without someone hacking into your computer or digging up your personal information.
Expand your moderator at work
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned)

Re: I love TOR

I assume it must pay well...

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to meeeeeeeeee

Premium Member

to meeeeeeeeee
Shutting down dslreports Is something I do not want to ever see in my lifetime! And this Becuse someone did something they should've have done on a site that everyone on it will do bad things!
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by brianiscool:

I used it for downloading. Lightning fast for Linux distros !

Pardon me, but your ignorance is showing

meeeeeeeeee
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee to chip89

to chip89
said by chip89:

Shutting down dslreports Is something I do not want to ever see in my lifetime! And this Becuse someone did something they should've have done on a site that everyone on it will do bad things!

I would pretty much feel the same about sealing people's mouths shut or removing their brains at birth but then again... In some cases, it might be an improvement.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
·Charter

brianiscool to meeeeeeeeee

to meeeeeeeeee
Click for full size
This is all I could get tonight speed wise

meeeeeeeeee
Newburgh, NY

1 edit

meeeeeeeeee

said by brianiscool:

This is all I could get tonight speed wise

It's always a bit of a crapshoot with TOR and I suspect a lot of people have suspended their participation resulting in fewer nodes handling greater traffic each. Once this FBI thing has been dissected and measures put in place to protect against such intrusions, I'm sure people will come back and things will get back to normal. In the long haul, things will probably improve. I'm sure this has put a damper on the kiddie pervs and other felonious traffic, so we'll be pushing around less illegitimate bits.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Tor should not exist.

Troll alert or one of THEM.

meeeeeeeeee
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee

said by batterup:

said by FFH5:

Tor should not exist.

Troll alert or one of THEM.

Maybe he's just bored and waiting for the Mothership?

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by meeeeeeeeee:

Maybe he's just bored and waiting for the Mothership?

R U suggesting what Cartman got?

tmh
@comcastbusiness.net

tmh to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

You're saying the same thing. Just ask the police in China and Iran.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to FFH5

to FFH5
no TOR was made for the DoD
they made it public since the more data on the network the hard to tell whats what