how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

saintd

join:2013-08-06
USA

Arris modem versions?

I have a rental Arris modem that works great with Knology. I wanted to save the monthly rental fee, so I bought one off ebay. The one from Knology is a TM602G/P2/NA-8. The ebay one is a TM602G/TW-0. Net works fine, but I get no phone service with the new modem. The telephone light on the new one keeps blinking, even if I disconnect the phone line from back of the modem. Will this modem version not work? Any workaround? Thanks.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:34

said by saintd:

I have a rental Arris modem that works great with Knology. I wanted to save the monthly rental fee, so I bought one off ebay. The one from Knology is a TM602G/P2/NA-8. The ebay one is a TM602G/TW-0. Net works fine, but I get no phone service with the new modem. The telephone light on the new one keeps blinking, even if I disconnect the phone line from back of the modem. Will this modem version not work? Any workaround? Thanks.

You can not get phone service on a customer owned modem. Phone service requires renting a modem.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

saintd

join:2013-08-06
USA

Thanks. I want to go wireless. Same situation with renting? Would I need to rent a wireless modem through Knology if I wanted to keep phone service as well?

Lark3po
Premium
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL
Reviews:
·Knology
reply to WOW_Dan

said by WOW_Dan:

You can not get phone service on a customer owned modem. Phone service requires renting a modem.

Since when? [Not that I would ever pay for phone service from knology(wow) ever again just to hear the phone ringing off the hook with wrong-number/previous-owner bill collectors while paying a premium for an unlisted number! (run-on I know but it still pisses me off)]

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to saintd

said by saintd:

Thanks. I want to go wireless. Same situation with renting? Would I need to rent a wireless modem through Knology if I wanted to keep phone service as well?

You do not need to rent a wireless modem/router from us, you can provide your own wireless.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to Lark3po

said by Lark3po:

said by WOW_Dan:

Since when?

No cable company I'm aware of offers you the ability to have their phone service on your own modem. There's too much on the back side that's involved with phone service, it's just not possible to make the service work with just any modem. Modems have to be thoroughly tested and be entered into many different systems on our side in order to get phone service going.
--
Dan Della Terza
CMTS Operations Engineer

Lark3po
Premium
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL
Reviews:
·Knology

1 edit

said by WOW_Dan:

said by Lark3po:

said by WOW_Dan:

Since when?

No cable company I'm aware of offers you the ability to have their phone service on your own modem. There's too much on the back side that's involved with phone service, it's just not possible to make the service work with just any modem. Modems have to be thoroughly tested and be entered into many different systems on our side in order to get phone service going.

Not sure I follow... A few years back when I had my phones service through Knology I did not have to rent a modem from them nor did they have to put any equipment in my house. They did everything they needed at or before my side of the dmarc. My modem had nothing to do with the phone service.

Edit: I realize Knology/Wow may do different things in different areas and removed some sarcastic verbiage...

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

said by Lark3po:

Not sure I follow... A few years back when I had my phones service through Knology I did not have to rent a modem from them nor did they have to put any equipment in my house. They did everything they needed at or before my side of the dmarc. My modem had nothing to do with the phone service.

Edit: I realize Knology/Wow may do different things in different areas and removed some sarcastic verbiage...

This is in fact a difference in the way the companies did things. WOW has always used EMTAs for phone service, which is a modem with phone service on it as well. In many of the Knology areas, they used phone NIDs on the outside of the house and a standard modem inside the home that does only internet service. The phone NIDs are older technology that's no longer used by most companies. If you have phone service, you might have one or the other. If you do have the EMTA situation, it's not possible to use your own modem, which is what I believe the OP was trying to do. If you do still have one of the phone NIDs on your home, then any standard DOCSIS modem should work for internet service only.
--
Dan Della Terza
CMTS Operations Engineer