how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rjp087

join:2013-07-14
Pennellville, NY

[Troubles] Windstream NY

So I see a lot about Windstream being problematic in GA, TX, and SC, but haven't seen much about performance in NY.

I live upstate, about 15 minutes north of Syracuse. We pay for 3Mbps, and have never seen anything remotely close to that in a speed test. Here's one I just ran:

I moved back in with my parents after graduating from SUNY Oswego about six months ago and this has been the status quo. My parents aren't very tech savvy so they otherwise had no way to know how badly they're being ripped off. I'm assuming this has been what we've been getting long before I moved back. It's generally worse during peak hours, I can only assume this is because they are over-subscribed.

It just makes me so angry that an ISP like this so obviously relies on the ignorance of its subscribers and zero competition areas to survive, otherwise they'd be out of business pretty fast. The street perpendicular to ours (roughly 100 yards away) has TWC access, too, which makes it all the more frustrating.

iowaboy
Premium
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Windstream
·WildBlue
Have tried calling Tech Support yet? I am not saying they can help but for me they have tried going way out of their way to fix any issue I had. The field techs have done the same in my area. But they are overloaded with work and they are trying to work with what they have. If no one has reported the issue they can not work on it. I do agree in that with all the line out there and the number of small phone companies bought you would think things would get fixed so customers are not lost.

rjp087

Pennellville, NY
We've called, chatted, Tweeted, had technicians come out to the house, replaced hardware (theirs and ours), etc.

It's honestly nothing that can be fixed. Have you seen the other threads with speed tests? Ours is par for the course. Their support might be friendly but that doesn't excuse piss-poor service. The point is that they over-subscribed their capacity with no regard to customer satisfaction and then send people out to do damage control.

iowaboy
Premium
Fairfield, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Windstream
·WildBlue
send a im to Aaron and see what he can do. He is the one helping me and I never seen any move faster when the Techs came. I am still waiting for resolution but what the issue and where it is at has been located. I figure they may need to have a new cable put in between the pedistals but what do I know. LOL

rjp087

Pennellville, NY

1 edit
reply to rjp087

9:27pm Monday 8/12/13 -- Honestly how can it be this bad this consistently?

rjp087

Pennellville, NY
reply to rjp087
So today, once again, I decided to chat with the Windstream customer service representatives. The first rep, Tameka, disconnected our chat session after I briefly explained the issue. I guess she didn't want to deal with it. Back in queue for another 15 minutes, nice. The second rep, Sylvia, explains that there is an issue in our area regarding speed (which is the answer I've been receiving for months now). She gave me a number to call, so I call it, and they tell me the exact same thing. I ask what's causing it, and when will it be fixed. They don't know. Well that's fantastic! We're consistently getting less than 33% of what we pay for (3Mbps) yet we're consistently paying 100% of our bill every month.

They don't care. They would rather send their customers on a game of cat and mouse with the different service representatives. Chat or Tweet with one, they'll give you a number to call. Call, and they give you a generic answer they're told to give all customers with similar issues. On this particular forum, it's, "Hey, give Aaron your number, he'll get it straightened out". No thanks. We're just about fed up with hearing, "There's a speed issue in your area".

It seems like Windstream is perfectly content with providing the worst "broadband" service in the country because they know some people have no other option.

Here's today's speed test:

iowaboy
Premium
Fairfield, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Windstream
·WildBlue
Sorry to hear this rjp087. I just mentioned Aaron as he has helped several people. He can't get 100% like he wants but does try. He like all the other techs we talk to when we call or chat online with are just relaying what they can find out. I usually had great luck when I called in till the last 2 months or so but seems I do have a line issue or something. Still waiting on someone to check it out that is higher up in the field tech ranks. Windstream did buy several of smaller phone companies and there are lots of bad lines and equipment which are not being fixed from what I am reading here. I don't have a good answer but can see your side real well as I and several others are also having the same types of issues

compdave7681

join:2013-05-26
Sinclairville, NY
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to rjp087
I feel your pain. I signed up in May and had issues from day one. I live outside of Sinclairville NY and they are currently upgrading all hardware in our area. I am less than 300 yards from the dslam and get anywhere from dial up speed or less to what I am supposed to be getting. Hopefully they are done by next month so I can finally start my job!

rjp087

Pennellville, NY
Well you can hope your issue is localized to your dslam but if you've perused the other threads in this forum it becomes pretty evident that the problem is more widespread than they want you to believe. To put it simply, they're over-subscribed in most of the "no-option" areas they've capitalized on. I don't seem them splurging on the necessary equipment and line repairs that would be needed to fix it any time soon, either.

rjp087

Pennellville, NY
reply to rjp087
Here's an interesting article!

»wxxinews.org/post/windstream-emp···downtown

All this trouble with Windstream internet, and they get a fancy new building! Must be nice.