how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

morty346

@bhn.net

1 edit

[TV] TV Tuner for basic Coax not receiving digital channels (2.1

Just got cable in house in Orlando - Was using Antenna through Windows Media Center and USB tv Tuner before -
»www.amazon.com/ATI-Wonder-600-US···138EOH8/
I have a ATI Wonder 600 usb tuner

Have a set top box in the living room - but would still like to go through the computer as well.

I let it do the auto setup and it found the ~80 channels but none are in HD - yet when I plug in one of my other TVs with a HD tuner in it they show all the digital channels through just the coax
such as 2.1, 6.1, 9.1 etc -

Couple questions:
1. Is this possible with any equipment that would have worked OTA (such as what I am using)?
2. are these channels called clear QAM?
3. Does Brighthouse has USB TV tuners that could be used? I assume these cost money?
4. If #1 is an issue for me - what should I get?
5. otherwise am I just doing something wrong and this should work?

morty346

@bhn.net

Re: [TV] TV Tuner for basic Coax not receiving digital channels

can someone please help me?

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to morty346

On a few things I *think I know....

I believe you'll need either an hd cable box (or cable card) not just a standard def box
Remember- with hd service, you usually pay for all HD channels. To receive HD service, you must have an HDTV, HD cable connections - and an HD converter. You did do an auto scan for channels?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - I might be giving dated info in this instance with BHN
Going by personal experience with my own carrier

Some extra info maybe you can provide while we await...that might help others reply better to your needs...

I've no doubt our members / helpers will chime in, but maybe this will provide some reading in the meanwhile »support.brighthouse.com/Category/HDTV/
--
~Safe Hex~ Team Discovery ~ Project Hope ~ Like A Hurricane~

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:153

1 recommendation

reply to morty346

Thank you Lilhurricane but I have this in direct already.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Excellent - however general discussion is still welcomed here.
Thank you for taking care of him "directly"

jumafl

@bhn.net

If possible could the solution to this problem be posted here? I'm in Orlando on Bright House and I had a similar problem.

About a month ago my Home Theater PC stopped receiving the high def local channels (2.1, 6.1, 9.1, etc.), yet I could still tune them on my HDTV. I had the BH Standard television package. I'm running a Hauppauge 2250 dual TV tuner and Windows Media Center on Windows 7.

Since I couldn't resolve the issue and since 90% of what I watch is on broadcast networks, my solution was to cancel the cable television and install an antenna. The antenna is now working perfectly with the Hauppauge.

I would like to know how to solve this issue in case I want to go back to cable TV.

morty346

join:2013-08-08
Altamonte Springs, FL

1 recommendation

said by jumafl :

If possible could the solution to this problem be posted here? I'm in Orlando on Bright House and I had a similar problem.

From what I have figured out so far (thanks to BHNtechXpert) the tuner I have is not good enough and I need to upgrade to something like a Centon or Silicondust unit
then I need a cable card, and a tuning adapter - then I would be able to get all the channels I can get on a regular box but through WMC and my PC - haven't checked prices yet but sounds small

going to buy this one I believe for the box
»www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHom···un+prime

Will update here if anything else arises

snowpp22

join:2001-10-23
Lake Mary, FL
reply to jumafl
A problem with WMC and receiving the HD local channels due to recent changes is posted here

»[CFL] cant get clear qam guide listings anymore

You'll have to manually configure the channels in WMC.