how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

IT_CONTINUES

@knology.net

just upgraded to the 50meg package today, information inside

live in huntsville, AL.
didnt even know theres new options from the 25/5 , to the 50meg d/l package.
purchased it.....short story; 20/month xtra..sounds good to me, im a gamer, and stream netflix, pandora, etc, other movie services..............

got it around 2pm in the afternoon.
they rebooted the modem, its perfect, im pulling 6megs/second to the hard drive on a 1gig test file........
starting at 7pm or so......d/l speeds are back to 25meg(ie:3megs/second).

This same behavior was repliated even when on 25meg internet........
If this continues im going to simply revert back.
I was informed they could escalate it to a supervisor, but that is the same old shit. no offense to the people who are on the other end of the phone...nothing ever comes out of it, same behavior past 2 years... i think theres a wiring issue in my apartment complex ....or bad gear, or bad capacity planning/implementation...who knows...........

frustrating as hell

mwoodj

join:2001-10-27
Madison, AL
Reviews:
·Callcentric
I thought the old option was 25/7. Is there a place where the current packages are advertised?

It seems like they have been working on things in the last few weeks. My connection dropped for most of a night a few weeks ago and for a short period last night. I assume they save any rebooting and/or reconfiguring of gear for the middle of the night.

IT_CONTINUES

@knology.net
i just speed tested now, i live in the providence area off 72................
d/l ranges from 25-32, upload is maxed

if it was 25/7 thats my bad then, whatever "edge" internet was w/ 25 as the d/l rate.......
it seems as if the 50meg only occurs between 4am to 6:30pm, when everyone comes home from work/school....speed turns to shit........
this has been happening since they were knology..................

it's like they dont actually try to figure out what is causing these capacity issues....
there should be 50meg even at 7pm...and 8pm, and 9pm, and 10pm etc................

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:35
reply to IT_CONTINUES
said by IT_CONTINUES :

If this continues im going to simply revert back.
I was informed they could escalate it to a supervisor, but that is the same old shit. no offense to the people who are on the other end of the phone...nothing ever comes out of it, same behavior past 2 years... i think theres a wiring issue in my apartment complex ....or bad gear, or bad capacity planning/implementation...who knows...........

Upgrades in the Huntsville market have been going on for about the last month, and should be concluding over the next few weeks. Half of the hardware upgrades have been completed to brand new hardware, and more DOCSIS downstream channels should hopefully be added in the coming weeks. Once this is completed I believe you will see much more consistent speeds at all hours.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

IT_CONTINUES

@knology.net
Thanks for responding.
Tested for the 6th day in a row since I got 50meg package(upgraded from fastest edge package).

at 9:23pm CST 26meg down, 4.2 meg up.
(this is w/ the 50meg down package)

So six days straight, when I use my computer (at night, from 4pm till 11pm, my speeds are not even near what is advertised).
The 50meg speeds only occur during the DAY when i'm at work.

IT_CONTINUES

@knology.net
tested again at 8:40pm CST - 15meg download rate, 4.2meg upload.

IT_CONTINUES

@knology.net

IT_CONTINUES

@knology.net
reply to IT_CONTINUES
7:14pm CST on 8/13/2013

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2899136295

36.05/5.51

IT_CONTINUES

@knology.net
33ms ping, 46.83Mbps d/l, 5.35 Mbps upload @ 4:39pm - will test again at 10pm

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2910995982

IT_CONTINUES

@knology.net
10:34pm test:

29ms ping, 25.57 Mbps DL, 8.08 Mbp UL

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2911445435

IT_CONTINUES

@knology.net
Last Result:
Download Speed: 27559 kbps (3444.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5566 kbps (695.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 37 ms
8/25/2013 9:05:59 PM

IT_CONTINUES

@knology.net
Last Result:
Download Speed: 60778 kbps (7597.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5165 kbps (645.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 33 ms
9/2/2013 8:40:39 AM

Rollins

join:2011-02-26
Huntsville, AL
I upgraded and downgraded to/from the 50Mbps package yesterday. I topped out around 32Mbps download at my location. It is not worth an extra $40/month for an extra ~7Mbps of downlink.

On the same note, $100/month for the 50/5 package is not reasonable. They should double or triple the uplink speeds to make the package stand out.

It won't improve gaming unless it improves ping times anyway, so there is little reason for anyone to upgrade even if WOW could provide what they are advertising unless they have a lot of simultaneous users in the household.