spc
uniqs
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to kennocha

to kennocha

Re: [Connectivity] Chicago Routing Issues

Comcast is known for having their transit ports to TATA being saturated and this is far from a new issue.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo

MVM

said by 34764170:

Comcast is known for having their transit ports to TATA being saturated and this is far from a new issue.

Having to chart these issues for ~80k VPN users at work, I can tell you there is congestion between TATA and Verizon, TATA and Centurylink, TATA and TimeWarner, TATA and Comcast.

There's a commonality there that is not simply Comcast running their connections hot.

I colo servers for personal/non-profit use in Chicago and Dallas, and I've had to play these games with moving my servers because the DCs had carriers that ended up using TATA as intermediate transit to Comcast & TWC folks.

It sucks, and sadly it's not going to get better anytime soon.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by SpaethCo:

Having to chart these issues for ~80k VPN users at work, I can tell you there is congestion between TATA and Verizon, TATA and Centurylink, TATA and TimeWarner, TATA and Comcast.

There's a commonality there that is not simply Comcast running their connections hot.

There is a commonality there but all of those connections are not the same. TATA is a transit provider for Comcast so they have complete control over when and where upgrades are made. The rest are peering with each other. Having peering links upgraded is a much trickier situation with all too often politics involved. and yes it is simply Comcast running their connections hot.
said by SpaethCo:

Of course it isn't because Comcast is greedy.

JasonOD
@comcast.net

JasonOD

Anon

said by 34764170:

said by SpaethCo:

Of course it isn't because Comcast is greedy.

Yeah right, nevermind the fact that big C has dumped way more than any other cableco improving their network..... It sounds like they need a better transit provider, something that's easier said than done, especially in bandwidth hungry major market areas like I'd imagine Chicago is.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by JasonOD :

Yeah right, nevermind the fact that big C has dumped way more than any other cableco improving their network..... It sounds like they need a better transit provider, something that's easier said than done, especially in bandwidth hungry major market areas like I'd imagine Chicago is.

It's your choice if you want to be ignorant or not.