spc
uniqs
newtampaguy
join:2013-07-02
New Port Richey, FL

newtampaguy to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: [Tampa] Thinking about switching from Verizon to Bright Hous

brother in law, works at head office or something like that for time warner up north hes a engineer or some network ring I think he said, he said fios doesnt compress video data or internet data, why picture looks good...why is that bad ? was i not supposed to say that ? my bad.. if so.. I didnt know...
billd104
join:2009-01-30
Oldsmar, FL

billd104

My In-Laws have FiOS and I have to be honest, IMHO, their picture doesn't seem to better or even as good as mine on BHN and the set top boxes / DVR's are laggy and light years behind the BHN products. They complain about it all the time but hey, they didn't ask me when the decided to switch and now are stuck with it for another year at least.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to newtampaguy

Premium Member

to newtampaguy
said by newtampaguy:

brother in law, works at head office or something like that for time warner up north hes a engineer or some network ring I think he said, he said fios doesnt compress video data or internet data, why picture looks good...why is that bad ? was i not supposed to say that ? my bad.. if so.. I didnt know...

If he works where you say he works none of what you posted in that other thread would have been posted because it just isn't accurate.

To be clear FiOS does not compress video while virtually every other provider does. If done right and it normally is there is no impact to the user experience whatsoever.

As for the rest of the post in your original rambling thread comaring ftth to fttn, cable and satellite latency...none of it was accurate...sorry it just wasn't. But since you are now a FiOS customer you will find further discussion about your new provider here »Verizon FiOS

Good luck...

bdixon83
Premium Member
join:2013-08-05
Hudson, FL

bdixon83 to newtampaguy

Premium Member

to newtampaguy
Don't take this the wrong way, but I would like to clarify some of the comments I see. First off, It is true that Verizon's video feed is delivered as mpeg-2 which is considered uncompressed. While this does provide great picture quality most of the time, it is also dependent on how they receive their feeds from the source. Just as one example, HBO's source feed is mpeg-4. Verizon receives this and actually converts the feed to mpeg-2 currently. I am sure there are other channels like this as well, but that is the first example that I thought of. While mpeg-2 video seems great, it also has its downsides as well. Verizon is running out of QAM space and therefore running out space to add HD content. They have supposedly been in the process for about 2 years now of switching to mpeg-4 just like other providers currently use so they can free up some of their QAM space, but until they do , you will not see much new HD content with Verizon. The transition to mpeg-4 will probably still take a long time for them to complete because they have tons of set top boxes and other infrastructure equipment deployed that will not work with mpeg-4. I have been with Verizon since their initial roll out in the Tampa Bay area in 2007, and while I am not knocking their service, I have definitely seen a decline in their quality of service and their willingness to continue to upgrade their infrastructure. Apologies for the long rant, just wanted to give my 2 cents since I am coming from Fios to Bright House.