how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dhudson1984

join:2008-01-04
Charleston, WV
reply to balloonshark

Re: Which modem should I purchase? And other random questions.

Moldy, thanks for the clarification. You're right! I'm sure the Charleston area here will be on high on the list for D3.1 soon after things are ready in the next couple of years just as D3 was a few years ago.

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers

join:2006-08-11
WV
reply to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

said by HansNiemand:

What's SL's policy about doing firmware updates to customer-owned modems? That's the BIG issue! Will they push down updated firmware to a SB6141? I realize that the 6121 & 6141 use the same f/w. ...

SL has pushed updated firmware to my SB6121, as well as to other posters here. There was a thread about it somewhere in this forum.

That is good news. Thanks for sharing.
--
If we quit voting, will they all just go away?

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
reply to HarryH3
That at least confirms that the list isn't completely up to date then

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to HansNiemand
said by HansNiemand:

What's SL's policy about doing firmware updates to customer-owned modems? That's the BIG issue! Will they push down updated firmware to a SB6141? I realize that the 6121 & 6141 use the same f/w. ...

SL has pushed updated firmware to my SB6121, as well as to other posters here. There was a thread about it somewhere in this forum.

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers

WV
reply to moldypickle
Thanks mp! I fixed my link.

I guess I should give them a call. I'm not sure how much the tele-techs would know about aftermarket modems and the system though.
--

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to balloonshark
You had another click to go

»help.suddenlink.com/internet/Pag···ist.aspx

I can't say for absolute certainty, I don't work for SL nor do I know when the last time their list was updated. But for obvious reasons, they can't maintain firmware for every cable modem made. With that in mind, I can only guess that that would be the difference between compatible and prefered.

I can also on the other hand say though, that I for a few years ran a modem that wasn't even on the list oh another cable provider and had no problems. Your mileage may vary, but it's a safe bet that any recent, major brand modem should work without a hitch.
--
50/3 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers

WV

1 edit
reply to moldypickle
Thanks. The only Motorola listed is the 6120. Does that mean it won't get new firmware?

dhudson, Here is the link. »help.suddenlink.com/internet/Pag···ct=Modem

edit: fixed link.
--

dhudson1984

Charleston, WV
reply to balloonshark
Where is this approved list?

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
reply to balloonshark
That modem is listed as compatible with SuddenLink, but not on the prefered list. I am ASSUMING that means it'll work with no problems, but you'll likely never see a firmware update pushed

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers

WV
reply to moldypickle
How about a used Cisco Model DPC3010 for $30? »www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/···ion=used
--

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to dhudson1984
Considering a self purchased modem will pay for itself in just over a year +\-, there is literally NO reason to wait a year or two to buy a Doc3.1 modem, if it even comes out that soon.

Then there is the little fact that after the tech gets ratified from the Doc people, it will still need to be built out in the real world.

Pile on that the entire footprint isn't Doc3 yet is just all the more problematic. Not to mention that I've only heard rumour of just one market even having bonding above 4x1 channels.

I can't see a logical reason to wait on a Doc3 modem purchase for the next couple years until 3.1 is already live
--
50/3 Suddenlink : Current

dhudson1984

Charleston, WV
reply to balloonshark
For some of you wanting to buy new modems, I would try to hold off as long as I could until the next year or two when the D 3.1 switch over occurs in some markets and when D 3.1 modems come out, which will also be backwards compatible with D3.

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers

WV
reply to moldypickle
Thanks mp. If that is the case then I don't see our area getting 150Mbps. Even if they did I couldn't afford it.
--

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
reply to balloonshark
Either one will work in any market right now. 8 channel bonding will be needed if we ever get up over 150 megs or so

Your current modem is a Doc2

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers

WV
reply to Turbo Mach 5
said by Turbo Mach 5:

The differences between the 6121 and 41 are the 21 does 4 channel bonding while the 41 does 8 channel bonding. With the 6141 you'd be a little more future proof should your area start to use 8 chan bonding (less it already does).

I have no idea what system this area has. It looks like there is a 30Mbps speed if you go with a "bundle" if that helps. The population is under 10,000 and the only competition is 3Mbps dsl and it costs the same. There weren't interested in keeping me as a customer so I went with SL.

My current Suddenlink supplied model is an Arris CM450A which looks to be DOCSIS 1.1 or 2.0.
--

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to HansNiemand
No end user can update their firmware, atleast legally.

And if your customer-owned modem is on the approved modem list, it should get a firmware update when you connect to the network. But even if you are using a non-approved modem you will still likely be fine, just no firmware updates. I done this for about 3 years with no ill effects.

HansNiemand

join:2004-02-04
Sunnyvale, CA
reply to moldypickle
What's SL's policy about doing firmware updates to customer-owned modems? That's the BIG issue! Will they push down updated firmware to a SB6141? I realize that the 6121 & 6141 use the same f/w.
I see where Time Warner allows customer-owned modems on their network, but will NOT send down new f/w to them, which will certainly cause problems as time goes on, since it's impossible for a customer to do their own updates.

Turbo Mach 5

join:2008-05-29
San Augustine, TX
reply to balloonshark
The differences between the 6121 and 41 are the 21 does 4 channel bonding while the 41 does 8 channel bonding. With the 6141 you'd be a little more future proof should your area start to use 8 chan bonding (less it already does).

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers

WV
reply to moldypickle
Is it worth getting the SB6141 or is the SB6121 good enough for my area and possible upgrades for the next 5 years? The price difference would be about $16. Should I be considering other models?

1. I understand what your saying about VOIP but these weekly interruptions seems inexcusable. Most of the time it happens during Thur. early AM when I'm gaming but it has also been happening on a weekend day after noon. Do other ISP's interrupt their users services this often? I never had this issue with dsl.

2. Things were very messy here after the storm. Every yard had branches, limbs or trees down. The wet snow also weighed the cable lines down and many broke. This is what happened to my building. The first guy to show up missed my line and the next guy that fixed mine was all the way from Parkersburg. I was also concerned about interference from the power line.

3. Thanks for tip. I haven't registered on SL's site. I'm up to 4 pages of usernames and passwords so I avoid signing into new sites when possible.
--

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to balloonshark
Since you're getting a new one, I would recommend any of the Motorola Doc3 modems.

1. VOIP isn't the best idea to have as a sole connection if you need to count on it in an emergency for reasons such as your situation. But I have seen mine go down for a little while on occasion, usually it's in the dead of the night though.

2. They wrapped the cable AROUND the power line?! That's an installer that needs fired immediately. That's incredibly unsafe and you should call that in to your office. I suppose you could also get some interference from induction, not really sure though.

3. I'm not in WV, but any SL customer can check their usage meter once they log in to the SL homepage. Doesn't matter what your dns provider is for the meter. I watch a LOT more netflix than you do and I haven't hit my cap yet, so unless you dl a whole pile of games, you *should* be alright with taht much netflix
--
30/2 Suddenlink : Current

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers

WV
Hi all. I'm near Elkins in eastern WV and have the 15 / 1.5Mbps package. I have $25 credit at NewEgg so I'm looking to get out from underneath the $5 monthly modem fee since my bill is now 50% higher than it used to be. Which modem would you all suggest?

Random questions:

1. Does your area do weekly maintenance periods where your internet is off? I'm getting tired of these outages as they can be 4 hours long or longer. My phone is VOIP so I basically don't have a phone if there is an emergency.

2. I was in one of the areas that got hit by the heavy wet snow during hurricane Sandy. When they ran a new line the tech ran my cable around the power line to this building. Is this normal procedure and could it be causing connection issues?

3. Has WV started capping users yet? How would I know if I went over if I use open dns? I figure the first time I go over I'll probably go back to dsl. I watch about 4 to 6 non-hd movies on netflix a week and just built a gaming computer with a new Steam account. 250GB goes by quickly when you actually use the internet.
--