Search similar:

uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

2 edits

haroldo

Repeated Mail "send swoosh" (sound) bug

Periodically I get the repeated Mail "send swoosh" (sound) bug. The only fix is to quit Mail.
I think I found the trigger and want to know if anyone can recreate.
I have Airport Extreme (AE) with two networks set up (5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz). Don't ask me why, since I long since forgot why I did it.
In any event, with Apple TV (ATV) set to mirroring, the sound periodically fails to transfer to ATV (»Apple TV mirroring sound issue). One fix for the sound issue is to toggle from the 5Ghz network to the 2.4 Ghz network. When I do, the Mail sound bug appears.
If there's anyone with similar hardware (AE/ATV), may I ask if you can recreate this issue. Not sure if the mirroring with ATV matters with respect to this problem, or not. Maybe just toggling the networks is enough to start the sound bug.
If anyone had this issue and knows of a better fix, please let me know.
Thanks!
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

Re: Repeated Mail "send swoosh" (sound) bug

I have your combo
However I don't know know how to toggle back and forth

Do you have different SSIDs for each band?
My PCs are 2.4 only and connect to same SSID as my igizmos on 5

The only time I have lost audio on my ATV is when I closed lid on my Air which cause stream to end then I raised lid to resume and no audio
Had to start mirroring session over

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by Liberty:

However I don't know know how to toggle back and forth...

I just go to the WiFi icon in the finder bar and select my home network that's on the 2.4 band (the two are next to each other)
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

Mine is LS&N
Don't know which gen AE it is but only few months old

haroldo
USA

haroldo

I'll send a screen shot when I get home, but when I use ATV the list shows both of my networks. (I don't think it shows both when not mirroring).
I'll double check tonight
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
I think the key is the sound failing to send.

What's likely happening is the sound buffer gets full trying to re-route audio to a device it can't connect to. When you switch networks, it connects the buffer to the local audio output, then flushes the buffer to it.

Now, why it would make the send mail sound, I have no idea.

Occasionally when I use my BT headphones, it plays the mail sounds for quite a while. Perhaps only Mail.app's sounds are getting queued in the buffer for some reason.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

That makes a lot of sense, even though I don't understand what you wrote
haroldo

haroldo to Liberty

to Liberty
said by Liberty:

Mine is LS&N
Don't know which gen AE it is but only few months old

My AE (3? years old) shows both

TeatherWind
join:2001-08-21
Euless, TX

TeatherWind

That's because you have the 5GHz one named "Ice Cream 5GHz" by default that's what the airport does, you have to go and override that if you want to use a different name.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

I don't want separate names, I just wanted to figure out why the swoosh sound would repeat.
I like the two names being similar.
haroldo

1 edit

haroldo to Daemon

to Daemon
said by Daemon:

.... When you switch networks, it connects the buffer to the local audio output, then flushes the buffer to it. ...

I wanted to see if I could force the bug, so I toggled to ATV mirroring and before I could change the WiFi from 5 to 2.4 the swooshing started.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Do you have a series of steps that you can exactly repeat over and over and make the sound start? If you do, you can file a bug report on bugreporter.apple.com, or, if that's too confusing, post the series of steps here and I can post a bug report on your behalf.

We don't have to understand the cause to post the bug--just the way to make it happen. The software engineers will reproduce your configuration then examine what's causing it to happen.

Side question: if you do the same steps over and over and over without waiting in between, does it always make the sound? Or do you have to wait a little while, perhaps for an email or two to send/receive before it will make the sounds again?

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Recreate...sort of.
I posted here the message here at 4:30 and sent one email at 5:30 and a few minutes ago, turned on ATV and got only one swoosh sound (so the sound might correspond with the specific number of messages sent).
Then I sent a test email, turned on ATV and no sound.
Tried it with three more emails, turned on ATV and no sound.
Each of the test emails was followed by the sound as it was sent...I don't know if the message sent at 5:30 played a sound, or not (wasn't focussing on it).
Maybe the sound didn't play...and when I toggled to ATV the sound came out.

There is one other aspect...when I got the swoosh sound earlier tonight, it was after a period of time that I didn't send any emails, however, I sent messages from the gmail account (IMAP) during the day from my iPad.
Could the swooshing sound be for each message sent (even though it wasn't sent using Mail OS X)?

Just tried a test to recreate (sent mail from iPhone), but no sound when I toggled ATV. I'll check with mail sent from iPad later on tonight.
haroldo

haroldo to Daemon

to Daemon
Been a while and couldn't recreate...nor could I get the sound to play via Apple TV.
Found this ...
quote:
SOLUTION!
In the terminal, enter:
sudo dscacheutil -flushcache
sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

This isn't ideal, but it works. Flushing out the cache seems to remove whatever is causing the issue.
It will restore your sound output in the preferences to be able to use airplay WITHOUT restarting.
»discussions.apple.com/me ··· 19224895
As soon as I did this, ATV played the sound and I got the swooshes.

Not sure if that means anything to anyone here, but it got the sound to play, so I'm happy.