how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Randalllind

join:2007-04-30
Saint Petersburg, FL

[Tampa] Lighting 90 still at 60 why?

I had a rude computer guy come a couple days he was getting 102mbit off his pad device. I had another guy come yesterday and he was awesome and he switched out my modem for another Surfboard SBG6580 I am also using it has a router. However max speed is 58-66mbit. I am not seeing any change. So when that rude tech was here he was getting 30mbit more then me using a direct cable from modem to his pad device he had.

Why? My laptop has an Atheros AR928X wireless N card and my HP Pavilion a767c has an Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC. Do I need new cards or should I format the machines and see if a fresh start makes a change?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:146

Make sure the NIC is set for gigabit and not 10/100 and lets also look at your account so open a direct forums thread for me and incude your modem MAC.

Randalllind

Saint Petersburg, FL

I need a new card I guess 100Mbps full duplex is top

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Yes you really do....that should fix it.

Randalllind

Saint Petersburg, FL

Thanks for the help. What speed should my wireless N be seeing?

billd104

join:2009-01-30
Oldsmar, FL
kudos:1

You'll be lucky to see 55Mbps on wireless N. Usually around 45-50.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Randalllind

There is no "should" with wireless. It will vary from location to location, house to house and yes even time of day. Somewhere between 30 to 40mbps is common maybe slightly higher depending on the device.

Randalllind

Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to billd104

I got 71-75 last night on speedtest using N. I am getting a new lan card for under $20 for my desktop. BHN really needs to tell people this when ordering. This would have save me from yelling over the phone. LOL

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
reply to Randalllind

Typical N speeds from what I see is anywhere from 40-70 at the very top (and pretty rare). On a 10/100 card I usually see higher than 50's but never over 90's.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Randalllind

said by Randalllind:

I got 71-75 last night on speedtest using N. I am getting a new lan card for under $20 for my desktop. BHN really needs to tell people this when ordering. This would have save me from yelling over the phone. LOL

But why....it isn't our issue meaning we don't have any control over the wireless experience...it's how wireless works regardless of provider. Your speed will vary and they will vary greatly with wireless...if speed matters wire it.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

billd104

Oldsmar, FL

Can I use that quote Gary?? "If speed matters... Wire it!!!"

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Absolutely!

billd104

Oldsmar, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Randalllind

From the Bright House Networks Tampa Bay website here: »support.brighthouse.com/Article/···ng-1967/

Minimum System Requirements for Lightning High Speed Internet

Windows Operating system Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
Processor Pentium-class 800 megahertz (MHz) or greater
Memory (RAM) 1 gigabyte (GB) for Windows 7 or Windows Vista;
512 megabytes (MB) for Windows XP. For Windows Vista, 2 GB are recommended.
Free hard drive space 500 MB
Browser Internet Explorer 7.x or higher, or Firefox 2.x or higher, or Google Chrome
Network capability
Ethernet card with RJ45 connector or open USB port
Network Interface Card 100/1000 Base T
802.11n wireless card or a wireless-N USB network adapter and an open USB port
Other CD/DVD drive, sound card, and speakers

telijah
Premium
join:2013-04-22
Saint Petersburg, FL

But, what if someone doesn't have internet yet and cannot view the requirements page yet...? :-P

SHoTTa35

@kfvaluation.com
reply to billd104

While i'd still recommend a 1Gbps card, a 10/100 card should be able to do ~90Mbps. If your router is 10/100 WAN however odds are it will bottleneck itself before reaching that 90Mbps (because it's older and in general the CPU can't handle routing that much data). My 10/100 card can do 93Mbps when copying over LAN.

As for 802.11N - in 2.4Ghz you can get ~70-90Mbps too (again as mentioned, this depends on lots of factors) but in 5Ghz (40mhz in a 3x3 config) I get 230Mbps max (450Mbps link rate).

Morfein

join:2004-09-08
Avon, IN
reply to telijah

said by telijah:

But, what if someone doesn't have internet yet and cannot view the requirements page yet...? :-P

Having phone issues? Call us.

telijah
Premium
Saint Petersburg, FL

Was kind of joking, but also, the person above said the phone rep didn't mention it.

Morfein

join:2004-09-08
Avon, IN

1 recommendation

said by telijah:

Was kind of joking, but also, the person above said the phone rep didn't mention it.

Mine was a joke about not having a phone but needing to call... following along your joke.

Who's on first?

telijah
Premium
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

...oops. Well, I am blonde.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to SHoTTa35

said by SHoTTa35 :

While i'd still recommend a 1Gbps card, a 10/100 card should be able to do ~90Mbps. If your router is 10/100 WAN however odds are it will bottleneck itself before reaching that 90Mbps (because it's older and in general the CPU can't handle routing that much data). My 10/100 card can do 93Mbps when copying over LAN.

As for 802.11N - in 2.4Ghz you can get ~70-90Mbps too (again as mentioned, this depends on lots of factors) but in 5Ghz (40mhz in a 3x3 config) I get 230Mbps max (450Mbps link rate).

There is a reason why I specified gigabit verses 10/100 beyond that of the obvious network overhead. Many 10/100 NIC's perform well below their rated speeds despite being called 10/100's.

As for the wireless you should not expect 70-90mbps on wireless-n the average is around 52mbps across the board. If you channel bond 20 vs 40 mhz you might squeak that up a bit but you then run into contention issues with other nearby networks AND that performance seriously degrades with distance to the point that using it is far worse than not. The same applies to 5ghz although not so much because fewer devices claim the space in most homes.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

billd104

Oldsmar, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Morfein

said by Morfein:

said by telijah:

Having phone issues? Call us.

said by telijah:

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to billd104

said by billd104:

Network capability
Ethernet card with RJ45 connector or open USB port
Network Interface Card 100/1000 Base T

Which is mainly CYA for the ISP. A decent quality full-duplex Fast-E NIC is good for 93-95 Mbps.

geo44

join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

Keep in mind that most that have got lighting 90 have tested speeds over 100 Mbps

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

1 edit

Yep, forgot about that. Our biz connection is fairly steady at 115/11.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

There is no "should" with wireless. It will vary from location to location, house to house and yes even time of day. Somewhere between 30 to 40mbps is common maybe slightly higher depending on the device.

well a major issue of the speeds with Wireless N is the fact that many devices still use the 2.4GHz band and I have seen where I live that the 5GHz band is almost completely free but that is slowly changing as more people switch to 5GHz laptops and devices. I wonder how the SBG6782 works and if it is reliable?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by motorola870:

said by BHNtechXpert:

well a major issue of the speeds with Wireless N is the fact that many devices still use the 2.4GHz band and I have seen where I live that the 5GHz band is almost completely free but that is slowly changing as more people switch to 5GHz laptops and devices. I wonder how the SBG6782 works and if it is reliable?

Dunno yet and I don't have status on it passing the usual QA checks that need to be done before it's placed on the approved modems list. I will let you know when and if that changes though.
--

Randalllind

Saint Petersburg, FL

I got a Trendnet Gigabit pci adapter and change disable gigabit to Relink, battery or AC and speed/duplex to auto then 1.0 GBPS and all test are the same.

Speedtest.bhn.net and speedtest.net shows no change in download speed under 60mbit. However ispGeeks java test says I am getting 91mbit

Funny thing is the Trendnet card is actually a Realtek PCI GBE Family Control. I disable the other card also and installed drivers from CD.

Do I have the setting set right?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Randalllind:

I got a Trendnet Gigabit pci adapter and change disable gigabit to Relink, battery or AC and speed/duplex to auto then 1.0 GBPS and all test are the same.

Speedtest.bhn.net and speedtest.net shows no change in download speed under 60mbit. However ispGeeks java test says I am getting 91mbit

Funny thing is the Trendnet card is actually a Realtek PCI GBE Family Control. I disable the other card also and installed drivers from CD.

Do I have the setting set right?

If the visualware (geeks) test says you are getting 90 you are getting 90. What you are dealing with here is a application layer interaction issue between installed software on your PC and the Ookla tests that also work at the application layer if they are the old version (which is most of the sites you will go to). Bump your thread in direct and I will call to explain tomorrow sometime.
--