how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hybrid02

join:2013-02-06

Punch Down tool size?

Click for full size
Where to buy punch down tool that fix them size? I have use punch down tool 110 and doesn't fix due to too small. Look at the picture of blue one and do you guy know what size is punch down tool. These dual phone jack that Bell use.

LondonDave
Premium
join:2011-09-05
London, ON

Its a Bix punchdown. The tool your looking for is made by Nordx. Its roughly 60 bucks I think. If your in a pinch a credit card edge will work. Ask me how I know!

taraf

join:2011-05-07
Stittsville, ON

Probably cheaper/easier to replace the jack with a BIX jack rather than buy the nordx tool... the nordx is becoming increasingly rare in actual installations in favour of BIX, and if you already have the BIX tool....

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5

said by taraf:

Probably cheaper/easier to replace the jack with a BIX jack rather than buy the nordx tool... the nordx is becoming increasingly rare in actual installations in favour of BIX, and if you already have the BIX tool....

BIX = NORDX/CDT (Common in Canada)
110 = SYSTEMAX/LUCENT/AT&T (Common in US and at Big Box Home Stores)
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

hybrid02

reply to LondonDave

Thanks LondonDave, I tried to use credit card and can't punch down hard. Anyway I just bought bix punchdown tool for $45 at Sayal Electronics and working easy.

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to hybrid02

You go to home depot, buy a BIX blade, use it with a hammer and return it. Don't ask how I know,

hybrid02

Home Depot doesn't have bix blade. I just return them after 1 time use that it. Anyway thanks for all reply.

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

They did a couple years ago, last time I needed one in a pinch

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
reply to hybrid02

Canada Cable Tools has them for $35, plus $10 shipping. I've bought from them before, fast shipping and great service.

LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·voip.ms
reply to hybrid02

Addison-electronique.com
»addison-electronique.com/catalog···ory/588/

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

i love bix, non impact so they dont wear out as fast as 110 blocks

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

said by telco_mtl:

66 blocks use an impact tool - are you thinking of those?
--

telco_mtl

said by HeadSpinning:

said by telco_mtl:

66 blocks use an impact tool - are you thinking of those?

110 and 66 are impact, bix (which that jack is) are non impact, the tool gently presses the wire in and the blade sweeps across to cut, 110 uses an action like a centre punch to cut the wire

llort

join:2006-10-30
Scarborough, ON
reply to hybrid02

110 is garbage.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to telco_mtl

No, BIX is considered an impact style termination, as well...

Things like wire-wrap or binder-post, or soldered posts are non-impact...

BIX, 110, 66, Krone, etc - are impact terminations.

And there's nothing wrong with 110.

Krone, however, is crap... Mostly because it's easy to get pieces of jumper-wire stuck into the block, which causes intermittent opens.

telco_mtl

said by LazMan:

And there's nothing wrong with 110.

I will agree to disagree, where i used to work i had 10 closets with 110 and i absolutely hated them, when i do my installs i use bix. (mostly because my hands cant take the shock from the 110 tool anymore, aging sucks)

back 15 years ago when i was in school our instructors told us bix was non impact because when the tool was on "no cut" there was no movement in the tool, but i see where you are comming from.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

Yeah, 110 and 66 does have that extra spring loaded centre-punch like action that BIX doesn't have. The spring action on a BIX tool is smooth, and only provides the return pressure to sweep the blade back to the home position.
--