spc
Search similar:

uniqs

inquiry
@verizon.net

inquiry

Anon

PEG Grant Fee

What is a PEG Grant Fee and why must we pay this fee?
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by inquiry :

What is a PEG Grant Fee and why must we pay this fee?

"The 1984 Cable Franchise Policy and Communications Act said, 'A franchising authority ... may require as part of a cable operator's proposal for a franchise renewal ... that channel capacity be designated for public, educational, or governmental use.'" It is required by your franchise authority for the PEG stations located between channels 1 and 50.

Bing search is your friend.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to inquiry

to inquiry
PEG is acronym for Public Education Government and this link explains the fees.

»forums.verizon.com/t5/My ··· p/235206

inquiry
@verizon.net

inquiry to PJL

Anon

to PJL
But not all verizon customers benefit from this fee. Correct?
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Everyone gets PEG programming.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev to inquiry

Premium Member

to inquiry
PEG fees are paid back to the cities/towns/counties by the provider, allowing the municipality to take that money and use it to fund the systems and equipment to have their own channel on the cable system. Of course, they can also choose to allocate that money for other expenses too. But in theory, the intent is to fund the channel(s) to make it/them useful for the citizens of the municipality.

Some cities/towns actually run locally produced programs about the area, recent events that took place, history, and whatnot. Some are produced by volunteers, some are produced by outside companies or non-profits in the area, others may be produced by the city/town itself.

The revenue from those fees may be used to purchase video servers, information bulletin board systems, cameras, computers for editing, and more. It may also be used to pay staff to maintain the channel - program scheduling, town/city council meeting coverage, and they might even produce videos or shows that the city/town then uses for other purposes.

Different areas may use their channel(s) differently, and may have different arrangements with the cable provider(s) related to their PEG channel(s).

toups
join:2001-11-02
Boxborough, MA

toups to inquiry

to inquiry
I could be wrong, but I would not be surprised if the franchising authority (in this neck of the woods read Selectmen) realized that the negotiated benefits would be passed on to the consumer as a fee. They might have thought that the negotiated benefits would come out of the profits from the "normally" priced services.