how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Aphit

join:2013-08-07
New Orleans, LA

[LA] Internet keeps dropping

Hey all, thanks for taking a look at this post.

I have been experiencing some issues with our internet. We will lose the signal randomly, all lights on modem except for power will go out, and then it will reset itself with enough time, or if I manually do a power cycle, it will fix it itself in almost no time. Also, I notice that the modem itself gets extremely hot.

I'm not really familiar with all of this, but I went ahead and looked at the 192.168.100.1 page and this is what I have:

About
Model: Cisco DPC3010
Vendor: Cisco
Hardware Revision: 1.0

MAC Address: (removed)
Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
Current Software Revision: d3000-v302r125533-120716a-COX
Firmware Name: d3000-v302r125533-120716a-COX.bin
Firmware Build Time: Jul 16 17:16:46 2012
Cable Modem Status: Operational

Cable Modem State
DOCSIS Downstream Scanning: Completed
DOCSIS Ranging: Completed
DOCSIS DHCP: Completed
DOCSIS TFTP: Completed
DOCSIS Data Reg Complete: Completed
DOCSIS Privacy: Enabled

Downstream Channels
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: -10.0 dBmV 38.3 dB
Channel 2: -9.9 dBmV 38.3 dB
Channel 3: -10.1 dBmV 38.1 dB
Channel 4: -10.4 dBmV 38.3 dB
Channel 5: -17.1 dBmV 33.7 dB
Channel 6: -17.1 dBmV 33.6 dB
Channel 7: -17.2 dBmV 33.3 dB
Channel 8: -17.5 dBmV 33.1 dB

Upstream Channels
Power Level:
Channel 1: 51.0 dBmV
Channel 2: 51.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 51.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

Now, I know for a fact after reading around a little bit that those downstream power levels are ridiculously low. Also, my upstream channels are on the high end. Is it possible this is a fault in the modem? Or is the only cause the wiring?

The reason I ask is I'm in a 4-plex house in Harahan, and Cox came out and said it was the wiring (the guy didn't even touch my modem, though). To get the wiring fixed, we will have to get the landlord involved, and all of the tenants surrounding me so they could go through the attics of each apartment (we are in C) to fix this. This is a headache.

I'm going to ask the other tenants today if they have any issues with their internet or cable, but I suspect not.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks

mrwiggles

join:2013-06-10
Sherman, TX

It could be, but it is most likely the wiring. The tech probably connected his signal meter at the pedestal/drop and noticed that it was definitely an internal wiring issue.

Aphit

New Orleans, LA

He connected it at the cable input on the wall downstairs, but we use the modem upstairs. He concluded from that, that it was a bad signal.

Aphit

New Orleans, LA
reply to mrwiggles

said by mrwiggles:

It could be, but it is most likely the wiring. The tech probably connected his signal meter at the pedestal/drop and noticed that it was definitely an internal wiring issue.

If I find out that the tenant in Apartment D never has any issues, would that rule out the wiring? I suppose the wiring just from the main line to our apartment could be bad, as well, but I imagine then I wouldn't need to get all of the other tenants involved.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

Sounds like the coaxial outlets are daisy chained as they go along your attic. (See first Pic in link below) This is how cable was installed back in the days of analog because you could just boost the signal as high as you needed, so efficiency wasn't a factor. Now because of digital, you really need all the splitting done at the house box with separate lines going to each apartment. This isn't easy to do and cost more, probably why the landlord doesn't want to do it.

So even if your neighbors don't have problems, that doesn't mean its not a wiring issue, just a wiring issue that effects you more then them because of how the wiring splits. Check your lease, see what the landlord is responsible, and remember your rights. Sometimes you have to play hardball.

»www.therealcableguy.com/househol···work.htm

Aphit

New Orleans, LA

said by Optimus2357:

Sounds like the coaxial outlets are daisy chained as they go along your attic. (See first Pic in link below) This is how cable was installed back in the days of analog because you could just boost the signal as high as you needed, so efficiency wasn't a factor. Now because of digital, you really need all the splitting done at the house box with separate lines going to each apartment. This isn't easy to do and cost more, probably why the landlord doesn't want to do it.

So even if your neighbors don't have problems, that doesn't mean its not a wiring issue, just a wiring issue that effects you more then them because of how the wiring splits. Check your lease, see what the landlord is responsible, and remember your rights. Sometimes you have to play hardball.

»www.therealcableguy.com/househol···work.htm

Thanks for the visual, that helped me understand. I have a feeling the landlord isn't going to go for this. In our lease it says that we need his written permission to allow Cox to wire the premises...not to mention they would have to wire this for multiple tenants who may not be Cox customers...what a nightmare.

Also, the internet just did it's thing. It looks like when it goes out, the Channel 1 upstream drops to 0. Here's the information from when it stop working. At the time of me checking this, all of the lights on the modem were fine:

About
Model: Cisco DPC3010
Vendor: Cisco
Hardware Revision: 1.0

MAC Address: (removed)
Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
Current Software Revision: d3000-v302r125533-120716a-COX
Firmware Name: d3000-v302r125533-120716a-COX.bin
Firmware Build Time: Jul 16 17:16:46 2012
Cable Modem Status: Operational

Cable Modem State

Downstream Channels
Channel 1: -9.2 dBmV 38.4 dB
Channel 2: -9.5 dBmV 38.7 dB
Channel 3: -9.6 dBmV 38.3 dB
Channel 4: -9.6 dBmV 38.6 dB
Channel 5: -16.1 dBmV 34.3 dB
Channel 6: -15.9 dBmV 34.5 dB
Channel 7: -16.2 dBmV 34.0 dB
Channel 8: -16.6 dBmV 33.8 dB

Upstream Channels
Power Level:
Channel 1: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 2: 51.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 51.0 dBmV

Does this point to anything in particular?

EDIT: Also, I was reading that website you linked and it says the following:
- any point where the signal is impaired in this system will affect every connection downstream;
Wouldn't this mean the tenant behind our apartment, apartment d, would have the same issues that I am seeing?

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

It looks like one of your upstream channel is losing connection so it drops it and tries to re-acquire. As for your neighbors, getting data from them is only helpful if you can learn how the wiring gets to them compared to you. It might go apartment A-D or D-A, or A,C,D,A and so on. If you know it goes A-D, and your C, then yes, it would stand to reason that any problem would carry over to D. But that data would only be helpful if you were still trying to isolate the cause. I think the cause is obvious, you have bad signal. If you can confirm your wiring is like picture 1, then that is the most likely cause. Not only does each splitter decrease your downstream, it also increases your upstream, and you have a lot less to work with when it comes to your upstream. Also, each splitter adds a potential failure point, a possible leak in the pipe if you may, where bad signal might be leaking in.

I think your best bet is to take a look around, see what your options are. Maybe there is a old drop on the other side of the apartment and you can have them run your signal off that instead. Or maybe instead of replacing the wiring, they can just reconfigure it in some way. Or maybe just replacing the splitters with new ones will help. In the end though, without fixing the sub-optimal wiring layout, anything you come up with will just be a work-around.

Aphit

New Orleans, LA
reply to Aphit

It definitely is the wires, says the second technician. It's not daisy chained, so I won't have to get in touch with the other tenants, but I do have to get my land lord involved.

The technician said this is something for the "construction group" which has non-standard pre-wiring. Does anyone have any idea what this will cost me? We really only need the cable re-run to one outlet.

Aphit

New Orleans, LA
reply to Aphit

I just watched the following video about using an active return amplifier. It seems like it would solve all of my issues:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3GrVFOu5TM

Would anyone say that his claims are bad? The main thing is if this is going to cost us some pre-wiring (as the landlord doesn't want wires outside the apartment), then it may be a better route for us to buy one of these if it would fix everything. Also, we are renting--so if we bought this, we could always take it with us and re-sell it or use it later.

Anonguy

@cox.net

said by Aphit:

I just watched the following video about using an active return amplifier. It seems like it would solve all of my issues:

(youtube clip)
anyone say that his claims are bad? The main thing is if this is going to cost us some pre-wiring (as the landlord doesn't want wires outside the apartment), then it may be a better route for us to buy one of these if it would fix everything. Also, we are renting--so if we bought this, we could always take it with us and re-sell it or use it later.

it would only be a bandaid! and likely would not fix things.

It would make the signal stronger but would be amplifying all of the bad noise in the line as well and will likely not fix the underlying issue!

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

I agree with this assessment. It may make your signal stronger, but not really better. Its like if you were listening to a old tape that sounded fuzzy, turning up the volume will make it louder, but probably not make it sound better, and probably make it sound worst. Add that to the fact, depending on the amp, it can causes issues in itself if its a unstable electrical outlet.

With that said, under certain conditions, with the right amp, it can be the lesser of two evils. Again I really don't suggest it, but if set on buying one because you cant fix the problem any other way, then this seems to be a nice one at a reasonable price.

»www.amazon.com/Electroline-EDA-A···5&sr=1-4

If anyone knows of a better/higher quality one, please post. And again, check your lease. If there is a clause that says the landlord has to take care of internal wiring, not only does he have to, but (though I am NOT a lawyer) you might be able to pay for it out of pocket and neglect that amount from your rent. Just a thought.

Aphit

New Orleans, LA
reply to Aphit

Just as an update, I ended up getting one of these drop-amps. Here are my new statistics from the modem:

Cable Modem State

Downstream Channels
Channel 1: 6.0 dBmV 39.9 dB
Channel 2: 5.9 dBmV 39.9 dB
Channel 3: 5.9 dBmV 39.8 dB
Channel 4: 5.9 dBmV 40.1 dB
Channel 5: -1.2 dBmV 36.4 dB
Channel 6: -1.2 dBmV 36.4 dB
Channel 7: -1.8 dBmV 35.9 dB
Channel 8: -2.5 dBmV 35.7 dB

Upstream Channels
Power Level:
Channel 1: 41.7 dBmV
Channel 2: 41.9 dBmV
Channel 3: 40.4 dBmV

I haven't gotten a chance to test it significantly to see if it will eliminate the drops, but I'll update here in a few days if I have no issues.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

What kind of Amp did you end up getting?

Aphit

New Orleans, LA

I ended up getting this one:

»www.amazon.com/Motorola-Signal-B···mplifier

It was the one used in that video I linked--I didn't get to see your suggestion until after I already ordered it for one day shipping. It looks a little more pricey than the one you linked, but it had fairly good reviews as well.

How do my levels look now? The only thing I was a bit worried about was amplifying a bad signal--but if I'm understanding correctly, my signal to noise ratio are okay.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

Says on the page you linked:
"Active return should not be used unless Upstream Modem power level is greater than 45 dBmV."

I personally its just hiding the problem and will probably just act up later, but yea, good luck.

Anonguy

@cox.net

Just a warning.

Don't be surprised if you get disconnected. There is a reason that Cox doesn't not use Active return amps.

I am sure your bad line is noisy. So with the amp all you are doing is screaming all of that noise back onto the main cable lines affecting the node and all of your neighbors connections.

Use this amp as a band aid and get the real problem fixed!

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

Yea, Amps cause alot of the "Ingress" issues people post about here, and they are very hard to track down.

And yes, by its very nature, increasing the signal increases the SNR, but that doesn't mean its better. But since we don't know exactly what is causing the problem its hard to say exactly how adding a amp will help. I am probably most concerned with the last 4 channels. I suspect they will cause you the most problems.

Aphit

New Orleans, LA
reply to Optimus2357

said by Optimus2357:

Says on the page you linked:
"Active return should not be used unless Upstream Modem power level is greater than 45 dBmV."

I personally its just hiding the problem and will probably just act up later, but yea, good luck.

My upstream modem power before using this was 52, so should have no issue there.

Also, so far no disconnect whereas before I would have seen one by now--granted that's anecdotal, but we shall see.

Also, Anonguy--getting the lines fixed is the ideal situation--yes, but it's something that my landlord isn't very happy about... and I don't plan on living here for a long time--maybe for another year, so if it's something that I would have to argue teeth to teeth for and end up paying for myself, it's not worth it.

RobertG

@myvzw.com

I moved from Las Vegas to Baton Rouge a few months ago. I dropped Cox a few years ago due to poor service and bogus billing (in Vegas).

I have three co-workers in Baton Rouge who are furious with Cox right now. Overbilling, extra charges, and non-existent service. I don't say anything... I just listen to how furious they are. Well, we all 'listen' to them. It's kind of hard not to hear them.

Strange this is still going on after several years in 2 different parts of the country.

LAHSIhelp

join:2010-07-12
Baton Rouge, LA
reply to Aphit

Please PM your cable modem MAC address and your physical home address and a contact number where you can be reached and I will reach out to the Construction Manager about your issue.