Search similar:

uniqs
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

1 edit

tkdslr

Charlie is living in a fantasy world!

Telco's (At&t, Verizon) are no where equal to DBS in nationwide coverage.. so that argument flops on it's face.

B.T.W. All of my arguments, (DOJ, FCC submissions), opposing the merger last time turned out to be spot on.. MP4(H.264), Spot beaming, 8PSK added more enough capacity to solve bandwidth issues.. Merger would take at least 5 years to swap out at least one DBS vendor's receivers & dishes in the field, Loss of competition, pricing.. etc..

P.S. Now we have and even more more efficient(H.265) 2x compression scheme..
Oh.. and my backup plan still applies.. Allowing Dish, Directv to share their spot beaming resources(no real need for local broadcast encryption), would keep the price competition and while removing much of wasted redundancy..

In a nutshell no way is the Public, FCC, or DOJ going to bite..

Sorry Charlie.. keep on fishing since your idea won't fly!!
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

@tkdslr

All of your items make sense, the biggest cost factor is the satellites and H.265 upgrades. This could reasonable provide 4k if the market exists, but at a minimum h.264 should last another 5-7 years.

As to equipment, most people are on 2 year contracts, so figure 3 years to sunset the loosing equipment.

If you slice and dice dish/DTV pricing they aren't really all that different, and both companies receivers are better than any cableco/telco that I have seen.

The question is will the combined company jack rates in rural areas, and the answer to that is most certainly yes.

The cablecos want to merge together too, so we will see how consumer friendly that gets...