Search similar:

uniqs
mman001
join:2001-03-04
Jackson Heights, NY

1 edit

mman001

[DVR] TiVo Question? Jackson Heights, NY

is there any way to set a tivo preview box to use one of the tuners of a tivo quad, so you can pause and rewind what ever youre watching?

shadyman777
The Hero of Time
Premium Member
join:2009-03-02
Bath, PA

shadyman777

Premium Member

Re: [DVR] TiVo Question?

You want the TiVO Mini RCN carries but doesn't promote yet. That uses one of the Q's tuners, thought i'm not 100% sure you can pause live TV as I don't have one. Perhaps someone on here who has one can speak on that regard.
Expand your moderator at work

robgraves
join:2010-07-23
Chicago, IL

robgraves to mman001

to mman001

Yes the Mni pauses live TV that it is streaming for the 4th tuner on the Q. It has no tuner.
Expand your moderator at work
mman001
join:2001-03-04
Jackson Heights, NY

mman001

Cool thanx, i guess i'll give them a call and inquire if the tivo mini is available in the nyc area

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

said by mman001:

Cool thanx, i guess i'll give them a call and inquire if the tivo mini is available in the nyc area

The downside of the mini is there is one less tuner available to record programs. As a practical matter you must be limited to no more than two mini's. After that you need Previews for any additional TV's in your home.

On the upside the mini is very small, and not as ugly if you mount it on the wall.

machpost
join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

machpost to mman001

to mman001
said by mman001:

is there any way to set a tivo preview box to use one of the tuners of a tivo quad, so you can pause and rewind what ever youre watching?

You can't set it up to automatically do this, but if you hit the record button on the TiVo Preview, it starts recording on the Q, and then you can fast forward/pause/rewind.

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin to mman001

to mman001
The other manufacturers are going a different route than TiVo. They are selling a 6 tuner DVR that is not connected to one of the set top boxes. That way every TV in the houses uses one of the tuners. If you have 5 TV's operating at one time, there is only one tuner available for recording.

machpost
join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

machpost

I believe I've read that the next generation TiVo will be available in a 6-tuner version.
sbiller1
join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL

sbiller1 to Pacomartin

to Pacomartin
said by Pacomartin:

said by mman001:

The downside of the mini is there is one less tuner available to record programs. As a practical matter you must be limited to no more than two mini's. After that you need Previews for any additional TV's in your home.

On the upside the mini is very small, and not as ugly if you mount it on the wall.

That will be changing in an upgrade that should be rolled out in the next few months. The tuner would be available for recording when live TV isn't being watched on the thin-client Mini device.

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

RCN in Lehigh Valley charges $25 for a 4 tuner DVR that functions as a HD set top box. The next one is $5, and $10 thereafter. You have a choice of PREVIEWS or MINIS. The TV using the main DVR has a 5th tuner for live TV via coaxial cable.

Another cable company charges $17 for a 6 tuner DVR that does not allow you to view any signal. Then each set top box is $10 but they all use a tuner on the DVR. Theoretically, if you had 6 televisions you wouldn't have any tuners left

The legal precedent was established in 2008 for a cable company to sell DVR service, instead of renting you a piece of equipment. It was the precedent that encouraged AEREO to begin renting mini (remote antennas). AEREO also includes 20 hours of DVR service with it's offering. I don't know if it is too costly, but no one is selling DVR service that I am aware of in Lehigh Valley.

===================
If you want to be able to pause with a PREVIEW just start recording any show you are watching for more than a few minutes. You can always delete the ones you don't want.