uniqs

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

1 edit

egeek84

Premium Member

Netflix SuperHD now available for Comcast?

»www.engadget.com/2013/08 ··· Engadget

I went to the Netflix SuperHD page and it said I was ready for it but I just went again and it said no. I need to boot up my PS3 and see if it works, will update once I find out. Lots of users are reporting seeing it though, not sure if glitch or not.

nevermind, its gone
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Not available here.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to egeek84

Premium Member

to egeek84
If/when it becomes available for CC what speed would I need? I'm on Performance, 25/5.

bradyr
YCCD - Network Operations
Premium Member
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA
(Software) pfSense
Netgear CM1200
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-HD

bradyr

Premium Member

according to »support.netflix.com/en/node/306

7Mbps is what you need for SuperHD.. toss in another 3-4Mbps on top of that so you can multitask.

tl;dr - 25/5 should cover it.

mike5026
Premium Member
join:2007-09-30
Rockford, IL

mike5026 to egeek84

Premium Member

to egeek84
»signup.netflix.com/superhd

Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet.

Still a red light.

depster
join:2001-06-07
Grand Rapids, MI

depster to egeek84

to egeek84
Available from Michigan.
devnuller
join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

devnuller to egeek84

to egeek84
SuperHD is really normal HD (1080). Even though it says "not ready", has anyone seen this resolution? I have

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to egeek84

MVM

to egeek84
Karl Bode See Profile has a DSLR News item now about that brief appearance of the Super HD button for Comcast and Verizion FiOS customers: »Netflix Teases Comcast, FiOS Users With SuperHD They Can't Get [86] comments

nflxoncc
@comcast.net

nflxoncc to egeek84

Anon

to egeek84
I've had 1080p since I signed up for a trial in late July. Working fine on performance as of last night. If it disappears for me before my trial ends, I'll be cancelling.

Might be because I have an odd Comast IP--the DSLR homepage can't figure it out after deleting cookies and I have to set it manually.

NathanO
join:2008-08-21
Seattle, WA

NathanO to egeek84

to egeek84
SuperHD is 5-7Mbps, whereas regular 1080p is 2.5 - 3.5Mbps.
vandergraff2
join:2005-10-17

vandergraff2 to nflxoncc

to nflxoncc
Yes - everyone on Comcast can get the 3850 kbps 1080P HD feeds (assuming you have the bandwidth).

What we can't get is the 4300 kbps and 5800 kbps 1080P 'Super HD' feeds - all numbers are video only audio adds up to 384 kbps for 5.1.
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

mrschultz02 to NathanO

to NathanO
said by NathanO:

SuperHD is 5-7Mbps, whereas regular 1080p is 2.5 - 3.5Mbps.

Interesting, so SuperHD is a few Mbps lower than Vudu HDX. I usually see HDX pulling 9 Mbps. It will be interesting to compare them if Comcast ever gets the netflix hardware. HDX does look better than HD, both in fine details and fewer gradients in solid color areas like a blue sky.

nflxoncc
@comcast.net

nflxoncc to egeek84

Anon

to egeek84
Glad to hear that the regular HD I'm getting is correct. I had found contradicting information on whether all 1080p on Netflix was considered Super HD. From my viewing distance, the regular 1080p looks fine.
nflxoncc

nflxoncc

Anon

said by nflxoncc :

From my viewing distance, the regular 1080p looks fine.

Actually a lot better than many of Comcast's recompressed 1080i channels...

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to egeek84

Premium Member

to egeek84
Super HD, please meet Comcast Caps.
wchillman
join:2011-11-20
Gig Harbor, WA

wchillman to mrschultz02

to mrschultz02
I have Comcast's Performance Starter [6/1] although it measuring more like 7/1. Both Netflix & Vudu stream quite well in 1080p. Anybody tried streaming them in the next lower Comcast tier [Economy plus?]
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

Your connection is probably not 7 Mbps sustained but if anything more bursty in nature. Since it is close enough and Netflix and other VoD services do not utilize the connection with sustained throughput they're fine as their traffic patterns result in bursts up to full speed and then down to very low traffic levels with each request for more of the content. With lower speed tiers the Netflix client will just adjust for the slower speed and show the lower bit rate content.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to pende_tim

Premium Member

to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

It will be interesting to see how Comcast handles the caps if Netflix puts servers directly on Comcast's network.

Comcast has justified Comcast's own video services not affecting the capped bandwidth because the traffic is within Comcast's network.

Would Comcast therefore allow Netflix's traffic to bypass the capped bandwidth if Netflix puts servers on Comcast's network?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

said by camper:

said by pende_tim:

Would Comcast therefore allow Netflix's traffic to bypass the capped bandwidth if Netflix puts servers on Comcast's network?

You might expect it to not be included in the cap, but that all depends on how profitable Comcast might view this opportunity.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to camper

to camper
said by camper:

It will be interesting to see how Comcast handles the caps if Netflix puts servers directly on Comcast's network.

Comcast has justified Comcast's own video services not affecting the capped bandwidth because the traffic is within Comcast's network.

Comcast is not going to let up on the cap especially for Netflix traffic. When they have issues with the traffic it isn't about the edge of the network but the last mile connecting to the customers. If they were ever to put the appliances on their network they would change their tune and make up another excuse.
vandergraff2
join:2005-10-17

vandergraff2 to wchillman

to wchillman
said by wchillman:

I have Comcast's Performance Starter [6/1] although it measuring more like 7/1. Both Netflix & Vudu stream quite well in 1080p. Anybody tried streaming them in the next lower Comcast tier [Economy plus?]

Assuming Performance Starter is 6000 kbps / 1000 kbps you will be getting the fastest stream available on Comcast 1080P 3850 kbps video plus around 384 kbps for 5.1 audio. Now that assumes no-one else is using significant bandwidth on your local network at the same time.

If Economy Plus is 3000 kbps / 768 kbps you will no longer get 1080P video streams and won't get the highest quality 720P stream (3000 kbps for video + audio) but would probably get the 2350 kbps 720P stream.

Only you can decide if that is worth the saving between Performance Starter and Economy Plus.