All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pavelbure10
join:2011-09-30

pavelbure10

[BC] 3 yr contract perks

Telus is offering rent-free hd pvr + 2 hd terminals if you sign a 3 yr contract. Is it possible to get something else instead of the 2 hd terminals if you only have 1 TV? The normal price for hd rental is $5/month, so instead of 2 extra terminals, maybe a $10 theme pack instead?
Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

A good question.
Apart from this question what are the other advantages signing another three year contract for established customers?
bballengphd
join:2013-08-09
Burnaby, BC

bballengphd

long time reader of this forum, signed up to give opinions on what my experiences were with renewing optik tv contracts.

My previous contract ended about 2 weeks ago, I contacted the loyalty and retentions dept of Telus TV, they offered me the new LG TV gift if I wanted to sign up for another 3 years, however, the retentions agent said that all my loyalty discounts will be removed and i will be paying market price for both internet and TV, which for me came to 107 before taxes for optik 25 and basic TV plus 2 sport theme packs. In the end I chose not to renew, and went with the student price promo they have going on. This is month to month deal with no contract.

As for hardware discounts, I don't think they will budge on giving you discounts if you don't want all the hardware. But as i have found out, it all depends on the agent you talk to. Some are nice while others are just plain rude.

One thing I do recommend is to talk to their retentions dept, especially if you are a long time customers. Those agents can give you more options than the regular CSR can. Just hit the cancel option when you call in or ask the regular CSR to transfer you and you will be redirected to the retentions dept. Oh and be sure to try calling a few times if the first agent does not give what you want.

Good luck.
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

My three year is just up.Thanks for advise
bballengphd
join:2013-08-09
Burnaby, BC

bballengphd

I would like to add that my previous 3 yrs did come with a free laptop. When I called before to ask about the new LG TV gift for another three years, I was told that Optik customers can only get one gift per lifetime, unless of course they cancel and come back in 3 months time. But that was prior to me calling in 2 weeks ago, where I was offered the LG TV gift, so it really depends on the agent that you get.

In the end I choose not to renew, and took the student 12 month promo, along with optik TV as is from before. I would be saving $40/month this way versus signing for another 3 years and getting the TV gift. Thats $1440 saving over 3 years, the LG TV is a really nice TV but retails for only $800. This savings is what drove me to not renew as I can get a much better TV for around $1000.

One thing I am not happy is the speed that Telus provides to its long time customers who are in old neighborhoods like the one I am in (central burnaby, near BCIT). In those areas fibe only comes to the C.O., which in my case is 3 blocks away!!! And Telus support has told me that they have no immediate plans to upgrade those last 3 blocks of line to my street. They have told me that their goal right now is to expand their area as much as possible so new neighborhoods have an advantage. In my opinion this is not the right way to go. At least they should upgrade to my street, so that I can upgrade my house line and be able to get much higher speeds. SIGH!

Sorry for the rant.
pavelbure10

pavelbure10

They said they won't budge on providing something other than the 2 digital terminal rentals. Who has 3 TVs in their home (pvr + 2 digital boxes)? Guess I'll go with Shaw or Bell. That's 45 * 6 months + 68 * 30 months = $2310 over the next 3 years that Telus won't be getting.

anno189
@telus.net

anno189

Anon

Hmmm....then please let us know what you will be paying in rental fees to SHAW / Bell for the next 3 years.
I don't find 1 PVR & 2 STB's (for 3 TV's btw) on a 3 year agreement unreasonable.
Want another STB, just add $5 rental and if any of those boxes break Telus will replace them.

Beats SHAW's rent to own program (a 3 year contract btw) by a long shot.
Quick check on the SHAW website: Gateway rental with PVR FOR 2 TV's : $25 month, then add additional terminals @ $5/month
Again Telus offer beats this by a long shot.
Not sure of what Bell has to offer you.

As said, please let us know.
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

i All in all Telus does give you the best Customer Service if you have a genuine concern.They do not suffer fools and I don't blame them.They are running a business after all.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to pavelbure10

Premium Member

to pavelbure10
I wouldn't sign a contract with TELUS right now. The penalties for breaking the contract are quite expensive, and cost way more than the "free" gift.

Rate increases are allowed under the contract, and arbitrary changes to plans are also permitted (eg. lowering bandwidth quotas like they did 8 months ago in half.)

Additionally, rumour has it that TELUS will finally be implementing overage charges in the fall.
pavelbure10

pavelbure10 to anno189

to anno189
said by anno189 :

Hmmm....then please let us know what you will be paying in rental fees to SHAW / Bell for the next 3 years.
I don't find 1 PVR & 2 STB's (for 3 TV's btw) on a 3 year agreement unreasonable.
Want another STB, just add $5 rental and if any of those boxes break Telus will replace them.

Beats SHAW's rent to own program (a 3 year contract btw) by a long shot.
Quick check on the SHAW website: Gateway rental with PVR FOR 2 TV's : $25 month, then add additional terminals @ $5/month
Again Telus offer beats this by a long shot.
Not sure of what Bell has to offer you.

As said, please let us know.

I got $5 knocked off my monthly tv bill from shaw and free hd pvr rental from talking to their retentions department. So, essentially the same package (shaw has a couple of extra hd chans) is cheaper and I don't have any contract.
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

The reason why I switched to Telus years ago for TV was because every year they were adding charges.I had been a loyal customer for years and also paid for premium channels.Oh and had to also pay rental for my TV box.
Really we do not have any choice and now I feel better to stay with the devil you know......