uniqs
presleyhome
Premium Member
join:2005-03-27
Oroville, CA

presleyhome

Premium Member

Hughes HT1100 and Cisco WRT54G router problem

New GEN4 customer today, Northern Calif. Direct connect to my laptop works great. Connect to my Cisco WRT54g router and nothing connected to it can see the internet. I have the router set to 192.168.1.1 (it's default), so no conflict with the HT1100. If I take the router and plug it into my (still present) WISP device, it works fine. Something between the HT1100 and the Cisco router. Any ideas? Thanks! Jim P

Jupiter 1
Beam 19

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

In this forum look down several threads and find the topic Hughes Networking FAQs by jacksontech
presleyhome
Premium Member
Oroville, CA

presleyhome

Premium Member

Yes, I've looked at that. All looks fine, just does not communicate. Maybe time for a new router.

Thanks,

Jim P
C0RR0SIVE
join:2012-06-19
Salvisa, KY

C0RR0SIVE

When it is connected, are you able to ping 192.168.0.1 by chance? Have you tried restoring your router to factory defaults?

If you have a WISP, why are you going to a Satellite provider? Many of us wish we had a WISP we could hit...
JacksonTech
join:2013-06-01
United State

JacksonTech to presleyhome

to presleyhome
I've never used a WISP, but I know some of them use consumer routers as part of their equipment--including WRT54gs.

Make sure that the WAN interface is set to DHCP and not, say, Static IP. (Not sure what the stock WRT calls it--I use dd-wrt firmware on old Belkin routers). The WAN port needs to get an address from the HT1100 modem.

You may wanna do a factory reset on the WRT if you haven't already.
presleyhome
Premium Member
Oroville, CA

presleyhome

Premium Member

Tried factory defaults, 192.168.1.1, standard DHCP. Pretty generic and the router works with any other inet connect.s Just odd. Both windows 7 and Vista see the router, but say no internet. Both the HT1100 and the Router show activity lights on their ports, so from a Port perspective, they know something is plugged in. Line the router is getting no DNS info from the HT1100. If I take the router and plug it into the WISP device ( which is DHCP as well) it works just fine. My WISP works great 85% of the time. Just goes dead. Not slow, dead. They say nothing more they can do. I may run both for some time as I absolutely need internet connect for my job.

Jim P
presleyhome

presleyhome

Premium Member

Interesting. With just the PC plugged into the HT1100, this is how it has my PC set:
IPv4 address 100.105.160.42
subnet mask 255.255.255.248
default gateway 100.105.160.41
DHCP server 100.105.160.41
DNS servers 192.168.0.1

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk to presleyhome

Premium Member

to presleyhome
Relative to Gen4:

New customers have their usage "reset" buy Hughes for several days to allow a new user to obtain software updates and so forth. So do keep a daily eye out for when true metering begins.

Many report great performance until about day 31 or 32. Just FYI.

Web Acceleration, on or off ? Seems to depend on the website. be prepared to "toggle" this with some frequency. This issue is not unique to Gen4 but is a ongoing multiplatform issue that Hughes has never admitted or addressed.

Be aware that re-booting the modem re-enables WA.
presleyhome
Premium Member
Oroville, CA

presleyhome

Premium Member

The more I look into this, the more it looks like you need an IPv6 compliant router for the HT1100. This Linksys is WAY old, it has not a clue about IPv6. Time for a new router that understands IPv6, will update when I can.

Jim P
JacksonTech
join:2013-06-01
United State

JacksonTech to presleyhome

to presleyhome
I doubt that IPv6 (or lack thereof) is causing the issue. My homebuilt Linux router is currently IPv4-only; a lot of consumer equipment only supports IPv4 at the moment.

With the WRT54g, what happens if you try to ping an outside address? Try pinging 8.8.8.8 (Google public DNS) and see if you get a response.