Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alpovs

join:2009-08-08

[INTERNET] Cable: upload to youtube

Click for full size
Youtube upload
I am on the Pro plan with 10 Mbps upload. I am uploading a 2 GB video to youtube. Can anyone tell me why the speed fluctuates so much? Is it normal for youtube? QoS is disabled in the router.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:22

Looks like it averaged just under 9Mbps. Have you tried without the router, or tried another site to see if it's specific to Youtube?

HowieDoin

join:2013-04-10
Fort Erie, ON
reply to alpovs

GET TO THE HOSPITAL!!!!!!!!

alpovs

said by HowieDoin:

GET TO THE HOSPITAL!!!!!!!!

Really? Upload speed is higher in THE HOSPITAL? I am dialing 911

HowieDoin

join:2013-04-10
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

HAHA....looks way too much like an ecg print-out....

alpovs

1 edit
reply to rocca

rocca, I don't have much experience uploading to youtube or any other site. I was hoping there are people here who do it routinely and they can advise before I try anything else.
EDIT: And without the router how would I observe those fluctuations if they are there? Only if by the average speed.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

You have 10meg upload on cable, which is a shared network, and you are averaging 9meg to Youtube, across thousands of kilometers of copper and fiber and a couple dozen network devices and appliances.

Rejoice.

Mike
--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to alpovs

I rarely upload anything to YouTube, so don't much about how stable upload speeds to YouTube are. I'm going to assume they just HTTP and it's single stream, so it could be it just fluctuates because of other traffic along the route.

You're also on the highest upload speed Rogers offers in their territory, I'm not sure how much more room they have for more (they've been tinkering with QAM configuration lately too on the upstream channels), you could just be a node that has a lot of 150/10 users who are media savvy as well? My dad will upload photos here at home from his DSLR (camera) to facebook, several hundred at once sometimes that I notice the huge ding he puts into internet performance here (when I was still on 28/1). So could be other self styled photographers or film makers in your area uploading to their favourite media sharing or storage site and it causes a bit of fluctuation.

alpovs

reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

You have 10meg upload on cable, which is a shared network, and you are averaging 9meg to Youtube, across thousands of kilometers of copper and fiber and a couple dozen network devices and appliances.

I don't understand your logic. So, I download on the same shared network across thousands of kilometers and yet the download speed is sustained, without fluctuations and 4-5 times higher than upload.

alpovs

1 edit
reply to alpovs

I am not complaining. I am just wondering if it's youtube's "feature" (most likely - they may be processing the video during upload, so they can cut it out if something is wrong with it) or it's the nature of the network, or my setup. I expected to see a smooth sustained upload, just like download. I believe there are heavy uploaders out there who can share the experience.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to HowieDoin

said by HowieDoin:

HAHA....looks way too much like an ecg print-out....

Get out the paddles because that man is in v-fib.

alpovs

reply to alpovs

Click for full size
To answer my own question... This is on Rogers line with 3Mbps upload, no QoS in the router, different router but the same Shibby firmware. The spikes are smaller but the upload speed is lower. I would assume the source of spikes is youtube.

nbinont

join:2011-03-13
kudos:2

Have you tried other sites/speedtests?

I assume you're wired to the router? Which router is it? It may have trouble at the higher speed. Did you try with a different router/without the router?

alpovs

said by nbinont:

I assume you're wired to the router? Which router is it? It may have trouble at the higher speed. Did you try with a different router/without the router?

I am not aware of any speedtest sites that test upload with 100 or more megabytes. You need that much to observe how it goes. I am not aware of any sites that allow random people to upload 100MB or larger files.

My first and second tests are from different routers.

How would I observe spikes without the router?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

just measure upload time and do the math to see your overall megabit/sec.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:22
reply to alpovs

You could run some software on your PC that graphed or showed the connection in real-time. Or Windows performance monitor if you're running that platform.

FTTHTechie

@pathcom.com
reply to alpovs

said by alpovs:

said by nbinont:

I am not aware of any speedtest sites that test upload with 100 or more megabytes. You need that much to observe how it goes. I am not aware of any sites that allow random people to upload 100MB or larger files.

My first and second tests are from different routers.

How would I observe spikes without the router?

Speedof.me