Premium Member
join:2004-08-25
Astoria, NY
Netgear CM700
Asus RT-AC68

mckenna797

Premium Member

[Northeast] Fios Coming to Long Island City, Ravenswood, Maybe

I saw contractors digging trenches very narrow and shallow cuts on 35th Avenue from 12 street to 24th street
And found these permits

Q012013205096 QN 01 01 VERIZON NEW YORK INC. 35 AVENUE 12 STREET 21 STREET 7/29/2013
8/28/2013 01 STREET OPENING PERMIT MAJOR INSTALLATIONS - TELEPHONE

Q012013205098 QN 01 01 VERIZON NEW YORK INC. 35 AVENUE 21 STREET 24 STREET 7/29/2013 8/28/2013 01 STREET OPENING PERMIT MAJOR INSTALLATIONS

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM

Premium Member

Re: [Northeast] Fios Coming to Long Island City, Ravenswood, May

You have the permit numbers, will they let you go to the town hall and actually look at the plans/drawings behind those permits??

It would be interesting to find out, especially if there are existing phone poles in that area, if they are they just burying their existing lines to protect them from a future Hurricane Sandy 2.0 hit, or running new fiber, that may or may not be Fios.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

4 edits

bluepoint to mckenna797

to mckenna797
That must be part of the new fiber test installations the city of NY let FIOS build around Manhattan. They can lay the fiber through those narrow/shallow cuts with minimal traffic disturbances. If the city and FIOS find these to be an advantage/success, the remaining open installations will be built this way which will quicken the pace of wiring the whole city.

Edited: Oooops sorry I should have paid attention with your title. I saw the 35th street and assumed it's in Manhattan. Long Island City it is. But yes, FIOS found a way to lay the fiber in those narrow/shallow street cuts and thankfully the City of NY allowed them.

mckenna797
Premium Member
Astoria, NY

mckenna797

Premium Member

This Area Has No utilities on Poles all Lines Are underground

bluepoint

bluepoint

Good to know and good for you. Now that fibers can be layed this way it means communities in the rests of NYC can be penetrated by FIOS. Most existing community boards don't allow digging too much around the premises, now that it can be installed in shallow/narrow cuts I don't see them refuse FIOS in their communities.

mckenna797
Premium Member
Astoria, NY
Netgear CM700
Asus RT-AC68

mckenna797

Premium Member

Just got this email from Verizion

Thank you for your recent inquiry about the availability of FiOS TV in your neighborhood.

We are pleased to inform you that FiOS TV service is available in your neighborhood, but is not yet available in your building. We will begin negotiations to gain access to your building shortly and will inform you as access and construction milestones are reached.

There is no need to call us to check on status: we will inform you promptly as soon as service is available in your building.

bluepoint

bluepoint

That's good news! Hopefully, your building management let FIOS gain access to the building ASAP. Good luck and please update on your progress.

mckenna797
Premium Member
Astoria, NY
Netgear CM700
Asus RT-AC68

mckenna797

Premium Member

Re: [Northeast] Fios Coming to Long Island City, Ravenswood, Maybe

update

Thank you for your interest in our FiOS TV product.

The process of bringing you the power of FiOS TV is still underway but is not yet complete. We are working on your request and are still in the process of obtaining access to your building. We estimate that service will be available to you within 6 months and will be contacting you again once there is a status change.

We appreciate your patience while we work to bring FiOS TV service into your home and look forward to having you as a Verizon FiOS TV customer.

fatal
join:2000-12-29
Brooklyn, NY

fatal

I got that email about a year and a half ago then like 8 months ago I got one saying they had negotiated access to my building I have yet to see one Verizon truck any where near my building not even on my block.

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79

Those narrow cuts they are doing is called micro-trenching where they can lay flat fiber cable that has been made for that particular cut service will also be the same.

DjVaGGo
Premium Member
join:2004-10-23
Long Island City, NY

DjVaGGo to mckenna797

Premium Member

to mckenna797
I just received this message yesterday

"This is an automated email. Please do not reply to this email.

Thank you for your recent inquiry about the availability of FiOS TV in your building.

We have negotiated access to your building and the FiOS TV construction process is underway. FiOS will be in your building soon.

At this time, we are unable to quote a specific date by which you will be able to order FiOS TV service, but we will keep you informed as we reach a firm availability date for your residence.

There is no need to call us to check on status: we will inform you promptly as soon as the service can be ordered."

Spoke to my landlord and he said he did not speak to Verizon recently and does not know what this is about. Does this mean they will actually bring service to the building itself?

mckenna797
Premium Member
Astoria, NY

mckenna797

Premium Member

I was on 34th ave and saw a lot of Verizon trucks some with orange cable on spools and some with Cherry pickers between 21 street and 14th street, Queensview/Ravenswood
mckenna797

mckenna797

Premium Member

six months and no progress within the building maybe someday it will be for real
said by mckenna797:

update Jan 15 2014

Thank you for your interest in our FiOS TV product.

The process of bringing you the power of FiOS TV is still underway but is not yet complete. We are working on your request and are still in the process of obtaining access to your building. We estimate that service will be available to you within 6 months and will be contacting you again once there is a status change.

We appreciate your patience while we work to bring FiOS TV service into your home and look forward to having you as a Verizon FiOS TV customer.

DjVaGGo
Premium Member
Long Island City, NY

DjVaGGo to mckenna797

Premium Member

to mckenna797
I'm by 34th ave, but on 43rd Street. There is only one beige box on a pole in my neighborhood and that is on 35th avenue and 42nd Street.
For some reason, 42nd street seems to be wired up from Ditmars all the way up to 31st avenue and then it stops.
figure 8
join:2004-09-10

figure 8

Brand new Fios cable just starting to be placed on pole runs,35th,36th,37th,38th Avenues. Vernon ,9th,10th,11th Streets .

DjVaGGo
Premium Member
Long Island City, NY

DjVaGGo

Premium Member

said by figure 8:

Brand new Fios cable just starting to be placed on pole runs,35th,36th,37th,38th Avenues. Vernon ,9th,10th,11th Streets .

Thanks for the update. Does it look like they are running up to the 40+ streets? Or only by the river?
figure 8
join:2004-09-10

figure 8

40+ streets off 50th Ave.

DjVaGGo
Premium Member
Long Island City, NY

DjVaGGo

Premium Member

Thank you, hopefully they will come down towards 35th and 34th Ave.

mckenna797
Premium Member
Astoria, NY

mckenna797

Premium Member

keeping it live
any new info on Fios

DjVaGGo
Premium Member
Long Island City, NY

DjVaGGo

Premium Member

Haven't seen anything around the LIC area, only work I see being done is around Ditmars.

Kekekeke
@50.12.1.x

Kekekeke

Anon

There are some sprayed on markings all over Crescent and Broadway up into Astoria. Hopefully this means we'll finally be able to get service, although my Landlord hasn't been notified of anything as of yet.

DjVaGGo
Premium Member
Long Island City, NY

DjVaGGo to mckenna797

Premium Member

to mckenna797
Have not seen any Verizon trucks, but a beige FDH has been placed on the pole between 45th and 46th streets, 34th avenue.