All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ShiftyEffect
join:2013-04-08
Catskill, NY

ShiftyEffect

4G LTE home internet solution (help needed)

Hey guys, Despite recent months of extensive and intensive efforts to get my local ISPs to give me service in my rural area I have reached a dead end. So now I am on my way to getting a truly unlimited data plan for one phone line with Verizon. No throttling or caps, and I get enjoyable 4G LTE speeds of around 15mbs down / 5 up on average In my house. The ping (50ms - 150ms) could be better, but I haven't applied it to ping intensive situations like online gaming, such as Call of Duty, Counter-Strike etc.

I currently only have a 2GB share everything plan with a Galaxy S3. I know through talking to Verizon representatives that I can use the S3's 4G SIM card with a Verizon hotspot device to use for internet devices. I have tested it with a family members older 4510L Jetpack hotspot device with my laptop in my house. The problem is, It tends to randomly reset and drop the connection every so often and can be, what's a good word? Finicky at best. As far as I can tell, I basically get a "good" 4G LTE signal of around 3bars, but it can dip to 1 and go as high as 4. I suppse I could get an antenna to help that, but that's not my real problem.

I am trying to see if I can get some sort of wireless router that can hold a better constant connection with my upcoming service. The problem is, I have to find a 4G SIM card Verizon compatible device. I talked to a Verizon agent about the 4G LTE router they currently sell, but it comes it's own 4G SIM card and I supposedly can't replace it with my SIM card and use my plan (Thank Verizon!). I'm going to be paying a lot for the data plan so I don't want to add another line for $20 on top of the monthly cost.

Can anyone suggest a wireless router or device to help me with this issue? Even if its a third party device. I really appreciate the help. Believe me when I say this is my only option for home internet solution, we hate data caps so we have to be unlimited.
ShiftyEffect

ShiftyEffect

Well I found out from users on another forum that I can indeed use my phones SIM card and place it in the 4G LTE Router. Not sure if it would mess with my unlimited plan.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

Yeah any device on verizon that is 4G capable will use a SIM card. LTE is a GSM technology so essentially VZW is going from cdma to gsm. For techies like me, this is nice cause I can now swap my SIM card through different devices and only have to maintain one account versus before where I had one usb, one hotspot and at one time an embedded laptop and had to pay fees for all of them.

I know the home fusion system has to have a SIM card somewhere but I haven't heard of anyone that's found it and I don't have one to mess with. But in all honestly I've heard of alot of issues with the firmware on the device they use for HF so it's not as great as they make it sound.
kevnich24

kevnich24 to ShiftyEffect

to ShiftyEffect
As far as swapping your SIM card, as long as you do NOT ever upgrade your plan or renew your contract by purchasing a device with a subsidy, your unlimited SHOULD stay around for a while. Verizon's been good at honoring grandfathered plans as long as they don't upgrade with a subsidized device. What it means for you is if your device breaks or you want to upgrade, you have to buy it outright on ebay. For hotspots and such this to me is acceptable as their only around $99-$200 on ebay.
ShiftyEffect
Catskill, NY

ShiftyEffect

I'm certainly keeping the data plan, I just wanted to make sure that I can use the 4G LTE SIM card and my unlimited data plan with the router. It appears I'm good to go, now I must find a used one. I am not paying $300+ on amazon.com, walmart.com etc.

On to ebay...

Thanks for the info, I hope it gives me a better signal consistently. I get 4G LTE coverage but the mifi device I use is finicky and loses connection too much for my taste. Plus others will want to use the internet in the house. With luck, I can get both with this.
applerule
Premium Member
join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

applerule

Premium Member

Welcome to the world of 4G internet...where everything is overpriced and costs you an arm and a leg. I am in the same situation you are, and I can share some of my experiences and attempts.

Here's my attempts and what I've come up with for internet:

First setup: I already have Verizon and was getting OK speeds. I was already on share everything plan, so I upped my data to 10gb, and tethered to my phone. Then I proceeded to max it out in about a week. This was obviously no good.

Second setup: I found out about Millenicom (great company btw). I bought a hotspot from them and wound up getting a 20gb cap for a lot cheaper. I dropped streaming services, online backups, etc. I was having a hard time staying under cap but it was doable.

Third setup: I found out that US Cellular was offering unlimited data with tethering as a promotion. I jumped ship to them and have been really happy with it. The bad part: I pay about $105/mo for internet now.

When my USC promotion runs out, it looks like I'll be jumping to Sprint from wirelessnwifi, as they offer unlimited 4g on the sprint network. I know I'm in the coverage area, unsure of what the speeds are.

I hope this gives you some ideas since you are new to the world of 4G internet. I had no clue, but now after wasting a lot of money (antennas, breaking contracts, etc.), I think I've come up with a decent setup, and a plan fall on if necessary.

To answer your question, most people agree that the cradlepoint routers are really good if you are looking to use 4g internet for all your connected devices. You can connect your hotspot or usb stick to the router and get internet on your wired and wireless devices from the cradlepoint. Personally, when I was with VZ/Mcom, I used a Pantech UML290 USB modem tethered to an ASUS RT-N66U router. The UML290 is an older modem, but I was pretty happy with it. If I had to do the router purchase over again, I would've went with a Cradlepoint.

After adding antennas, wiring, external mounting, etc., I'm seeing speeds like this with USC: »testmy.net/quickstats/applerule If you look on the forums, people with good VZ signal are getting speeds at or above that. Either way, anything 4G or even 3g beats satellite.

Good luck!
applerule

applerule

Premium Member

Since you mentioned gaming, I thought I would add that my wife and I are both gamers. We play mostly mmorpgs (wow, Tera) and we are pretty happy with our latency. We were seeing sub 100ms on cable at our old house, and our lte usually is in the 150-200ms range. Our only landline internet option (frontier DSL) was way worse (rated at 3meg, got under 1meg at peak with 400+Ms latency)
ShiftyEffect
Catskill, NY

ShiftyEffect

Thank you for sharing your experience applerule. I notice that threads regarding 4G routers, CradlePoint always comes up. Based on what people say about those routers, I am sure they are great. The thing is I can only access my unlimited data via the 4G SIM card that came with my Galaxy S3, and if I buy anything subsidized I was lose my unlimited plan. So I am stuck with using that SIM card with a compatible device.

As I say, I have never setup an internet connection myself, although I've seen my brother set up his own, which is ever evolving. Either way, I found out that the Verizon 4G LTE router does indeed accept my SIM card, all I should have to do is just replace the card with mine (if it comes with on). I get about on average a 2/4 3/4 bars 4G LTE signal and at time full bars some days. I am assuming that will be much improved with the router's antenna. As far as latency, using speedtest.net, I get 40-100ms with the old 4510L mifi device. But strangely with their mobile app, using my Galaxy S3 phone, I get 130-150ms. The thing to note with that is I really only get 1/4 bars with my phone in the house, 2 bars at times.

I've read that even at 150ms gaming shouldn't be a problem. I mostly wanted a real router, preferable a stable one that can pull in a better signal because the 4510L device is very finicky and tends to drop connection. Something that isn't cool with gaming.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine to ShiftyEffect

Premium Member

to ShiftyEffect
I would love to know how you are getting unlimited data on a phone line with verizon. Unlimited has not been offered for over a year now, and you dont mention being grandfathered in (getting = going to get, not already have)
ShiftyEffect
Catskill, NY

ShiftyEffect

said by tdumaine:

I would love to know how you are getting unlimited data on a phone line with verizon. Unlimited has not been offered for over a year now, and you dont mention being grandfathered in (getting = going to get, not already have)

I am getting it through a Verizon dealer that is authorized to set up specialized business accounts. It's not something that will be available for long. I did my homework, it's completely legitimate. Though, as you might of figured, its not something that is openly talked about by Verizon and the service is by referral. You can do some searching and might stumble across it as I did. Not cheap.

Verizon won't say that yes, we still do that. Why would they? They love limited data plans. I wonder why.
applerule
Premium Member
join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

applerule to ShiftyEffect

Premium Member

to ShiftyEffect
said by ShiftyEffect:

I mostly wanted a real router, preferable a stable one that can pull in a better signal because the 4510L device is very finicky and tends to drop connection. Something that isn't cool with gaming.

This device is expensive, but.... »www.cradlepoint.com/prod ··· ed-3g-4g

You could get that with integrated verizon 4g if you really wanted an all in one solution..you would just put your SIM card in it. Disclaimer: I have not used the device.

I would probably buy something like this: »3gstore.com/product/3029 ··· r95.html with »3gstore.com/product/3581 ··· 290.html -- You would be out a lot less money. I have used a UML290 with my VZ sim card before, and it works great. As a heads up, the UML290 requires a full size sim card, so you will need an adapter. I would recommend »www.amazon.com/Micro-Nor ··· +adapter adapter...I have it and it is of good quality. The only thing I have not used in this group of items is the MBR95, but reviews seem really good on it.

Good luck!
hughesnet123
join:2012-11-08

hughesnet123 to ShiftyEffect

to ShiftyEffect
You need to order the antenna for 30 dollars verizon provides. That gets me from literally no service to 20MB down, that is a cable connection and 2 to 3 up. Just from that antenna.

As far as keeping your unlimited plan, no. You can right now, but they are putting a stop to that. So, you can choose up to 50Gb and it'll share between all devices. They will give you a sim card if you get your own mifi device even if you get it used and not from them. And add it on your plan to share the data.

They charge a lot when you get into like 50Gb range. But most people don't need that. I used to have 20 and now I have 10. But I also have 20 with Hughesnet Gen 4, which runs about as fast as the 4G LTE except the ping times are higher on satellite. So if I wanted to video chat, I'd use the Verizon. You can end up paying literally a car payment on your Verizon bill if you add too much data.

As time goes, it will get cheaper for them to provide more for less. Prices probably won't change, but the data will. You pay 20 dollars for your mifi device, if you want a new one, it's free if you sign a contract. And then you pay for your phone like you are now which is 30 dollars. And then you add your plan. Say 10GB a month for 100 dollars. You'll have 150 plus tax so around 160 dollars a month.

But you need that antenna if you are just getting "okay" service. Don't fall for a lot off these off brand antenna's I did that and I still got way better service from the 30 dollar one verizon provides. It hooks into your mifi device.

There is one that doesn't accept antenna's I think. I'm not sure. It seems like i remember hearing that. don't get that one.

ThomasNash
@myvzw.com

ThomasNash

Anon

There's an outlet in Cali that is a Verizon reseller that offers a $100 unlimited everything plan. THe problem is you're stuck under their contract... and your plan basically becomes a business plan of theirs.
ShiftyEffect
Catskill, NY

ShiftyEffect

said by ThomasNash :

There's an outlet in Cali that is a Verizon reseller that offers a $100 unlimited everything plan. THe problem is you're stuck under their contract... and your plan basically becomes a business plan of theirs.

Well, its good that I'm not going through them. There is no contract, its by month-month, no more 2 year garbage. Although the $100 is about right.
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

1 edit

criggs to ThomasNash

to ThomasNash
said by ThomasNash :

There's an outlet in Cali that is a Verizon reseller that offers a $100 unlimited everything plan.

Since Sprint's performance in my area continues to be highly variable and unreliable, this is something in which I might be very interested. I'm presuming/hoping there's no reason why you didn't mention their name, and are therefore free to do so. So what are they called?

Alternately, if there is some reason you can't name them, can you give me some sort of hint to help me locate them on google? I just tried, and all I found were references to PHONE plans, not LAPTOP plans, and those date back to 2010.

Also, I'm aware that Verizon has unlimited offers for a business that are not available for an individual. What's the story with this California outfit? Is this available for regular subscribers or only to businesses? I'm not a business and would only be able to purchase as an individual.
ShiftyEffect
Catskill, NY

ShiftyEffect to applerule

to applerule
said by applerule:

said by ShiftyEffect:

I mostly wanted a real router, preferable a stable one that can pull in a better signal because the 4510L device is very finicky and tends to drop connection. Something that isn't cool with gaming.

You could get that with integrated verizon 4g if you really wanted an all in one solution..you would just put your SIM card in it. Disclaimer: I have not used the device.

I would probably buy something like this: »3gstore.com/product/3029 ··· r95.html with »3gstore.com/product/3581 ··· 290.html -- You would be out a lot less money. I have used a UML290 with my VZ sim card before, and it works great. As a heads up, the UML290 requires a full size sim card, so you will need an adapter. I would recommend »www.amazon.com/Micro-Nor ··· +adapter adapter...I have it and it is of good quality. The only thing I have not used in this group of items is the MBR95, but reviews seem really good on it.

Good luck!

I would take the Cradlepoint router if it weren't so damn expensive. If the Verizon 4G LTE router doesn't do well, then I might have to.
ShiftyEffect

ShiftyEffect to applerule

to applerule
said by applerule:

said by ShiftyEffect:

Good luck!

Yesterday I got my account set up and the phone worked great as a hotspot. Unlimited data, I play some xbox 360 and watch some streaming video and couldn't be happier.

Then today happened. I got my 4G LTE router (Verizon) from ebay a day early. Took out my SIM card from my S3 and nearly inserted it into the back of the router. Quickly saw that the slot was way to big to be compatible. Very frustrating, so I then took out the now dead SIM card from our old Jetpack Mifi device and saw that it was the right size for the router, expect I can't use that card.

So not only did I waste $$$ on a router that my card isn't compatible with but I was told a lie from the sales rep that set me up about it being compatible with the Jetpack device. He even said I could go on ebay and get the newer Jetpack as it has less issues.

Now I'm left with anger and sadness. FAIL.
dmc271
join:2008-09-02
Stillwater, OK

dmc271

The actual pins on the SIM cards should all be the same, regardless of differences in the physical sizes of the cards. I suspect you just need to buy a SIM adapter. They're very cheap online.
pioneer56
join:2008-03-21
Michigan

pioneer56 to ShiftyEffect

to ShiftyEffect
»microsim-shop.com/

All you need for converting sim sizes.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to ShiftyEffect

to ShiftyEffect
The sim cards are all compatible - you just need an adapter for different devices. The sales guy probably didn't know this, their sales guys. Sounds like the 4g router you got uses a standard sim and you have a micro sim. Go with pioneer's suggestion and use microsim-shop.com These are hands down the best sim adapters I've used. Takes a few days for overseas shipping but they are worth the money. I use it with a nano sim card.
ShiftyEffect
Catskill, NY

ShiftyEffect

Thank guys, I overreacted and didn't think about SIM adapters. I should of ordered from microsim-shop.com but I didn't read the post before biting. I called the sales guy that set me up with my data plan and he said the same thing as on here.

If the one(s) I ordered done work out I will just get those, I searched and didn't get that site before.
hughesnet123
join:2012-11-08

hughesnet123 to ShiftyEffect

to ShiftyEffect
Bad news for you and I hate this but later on this year Verizon is doing away with the grandfathered in unlimited plan sim cards. They were allowing people to do it who already had it. Now they are putting a stop to it. No date has been given yet.