uniqs
potato6
join:2012-12-13

potato6 to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad

Re: 250gb limit

said by MediacomChad:

Good morning, everyone!

Just wanted to answer a few questions and offer to clear up any confusion anyone has on this subject. Yes, all residential customers will be migrated to usage based billing, effective September 7th.

So, no more grandfathered unlimited? Will I get an official notice about this change? I don't use mediacom email and I doubt you'll be able to inject this into any of my browsing sessions.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

1 edit

MediacomChad

Premium Member

If customers are unable to be reached via the web banner or via email then there will be a letter mailed out informing them of this change.
Klarth
join:2005-09-16
Joplin, MO

Klarth to potato6

to potato6
Hope this gets posted to the main page. Unfortunately I doubt Mediacom is capable of being shamed given their brazen cash grabbing antics of the past. I see the meter is reflecting the new limits now. Will usage prior to the 7th result in these lovely overages?
SWMOHawkeye
join:2010-09-30
Springfield, MO

2 recommendations

SWMOHawkeye

Odd that I don't see this "feature" of usage caps trumpeted in all Mediacom's happy ads. If it doesn't affect 97% of your customers, why do it at all?
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

said by SWMOHawkeye:

Odd that I don't see this "feature" of usage caps trumpeted in all Mediacom's happy ads. If it doesn't affect 97% of your customers, why do it at all?

you and I know that is marketing hype. I would love to see the hard data on this as I'm sure they could'nt back this claim up. Just like chad saying the FCC handles DCMA claims. Thats a whole thing mediacom handles like fools.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
Does this mean that the 105 will see an increase in cap because 1TB of data for both Ultra 50 and Ultra + 105 is very stupid.
I think ill stay with Ultra 50 then since that seems to be the only reasonable tier.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to SWMOHawkeye

Premium Member

to SWMOHawkeye
We have a small subset of customers that are using a very large portion of the available bandwidth, which can have a negative impact on the other internet users in the surrounding area. By curbing this behavior, other customers can benefit with faster speeds.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

said by MediacomChad:

We have a small subset of customers that are using a very large portion of the available bandwidth, which can have a negative impact on the other internet users in the surrounding area. By curbing this behavior, other customers can benefit with faster speeds.

Then add more bandwidth its not like it 10 years ago when BW was expensive. This is nothing more than mediacom realizing they are a ISP and not a cable company. on my street 2 houses out of 30 have mediacom cable the rest have satellite. Your products lack in most areas.
SWMOHawkeye
join:2010-09-30
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

SWMOHawkeye

Yeah, I don't get all the Mediacom hype about faster speeds with Ultra 50 or Ultra Awesome 1000 or whatever name they call it, but then they turn around and whine they don't have the bandwidth to actually give you the benefit of the high speeds. How does that make any sense?
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6 to GLIMMER

to GLIMMER
said by GLIMMER:

Then add more bandwidth its not like it 10 years ago when BW was expensive. This is nothing more than mediacom realizing they are a ISP and not a cable company. on my street 2 houses out of 30 have mediacom cable the rest have satellite. Your products lack in most areas.

Actually adding bandwidth could be very expensive, depending on where the bottleneck is for a Mediacom market area. If it is between the area head-end and the "internet," that indeed could probably be easily done. But if the bottleneck is within the community and requires laying more fiber and subdividing the community into smaller areas served by nodes, then that is a very expensive engineering task. I suspect Mediacom is still suffering from a combination of those two. By adding a second gateway to most market areas and by upgrading the routers and CMTS like they've done to permit Ultra, they've done the easier, cheaper part. The rest may not be cheaper.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

1 recommendation

GLIMMER

said by k9iua6:

said by GLIMMER:

Actually adding bandwidth could be very expensive, depending on where the bottleneck is for a Mediacom market area. If it is between the area head-end and the "internet," that indeed could probably be easily done. But if the bottleneck is within the community and requires laying more fiber and subdividing the community into smaller areas served by nodes, then that is a very expensive engineering task. I suspect Mediacom is still suffering from a combination of those two. By adding a second gateway to most market areas and by upgrading the routers and CMTS like they've done to permit Ultra, they've done the easier, cheaper part. The rest may not be cheaper.

thats mediacoms fault for not keeping there infra up to date. I could careless if it cost mediacom to upgrade area's. I was talking about raw bandwidth costs to them. Its mediacoms fault for not investing back into the network in area's.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
Then why not contact that 'small subset of customers' and ask them to 'curb their behavior' or pay for a higher tier or business class?? Seems like that would be a lot less work than this big ole 'new' marketing campaign, and pissing off most of your customers, instead of irking the few you say are causing an issue??

Or just come out and admit it's just a way to milk more from the customers you have while you can?? It's becoming the new advertising. Companies, Conglomerates AND Governments admitting they are screwing us to our face and smirking because they figure we won't do anything about it....
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by CosmicDebri:

Then why not contact that 'small subset of customers' and ask them to 'curb their behavior' or pay for a higher tier or business class?? Seems like that would be a lot less work than this big ole 'new' marketing campaign, and pissing off most of your customers, instead of irking the few you say are causing an issue??

Or just come out and admit it's just a way to milk more from the customers you have while you can?? It's becoming the new advertising. Companies, Conglomerates AND Governments admitting they are screwing us to our face and smirking because they figure we won't do anything about it....

If you're not going over the caps how are you being "milked"? You are really contradicting yourself by claiming that you are not one of those small subsets but then being mad about overages you claim you'll never reach.

MediaCon
@mchsi.com

MediaCon to MediacomChad

Anon

to MediacomChad
I am the one they are talking about. 14 yrs of expensive business. mediacom now not the only game in town so what if i have a ugly dish on my house. and frontier has 7mb downstream uncapped. my 5tb usage isnt as abnormal that one would think. i know quite a few users peak over 2tb easy.
bluedyedvd
join:2007-04-15
Overland Park, KS

1 recommendation

bluedyedvd to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by CosmicDebri:

If you're not going over the caps how are you being "milked"? You are really contradicting yourself by claiming that you are not one of those small subsets but then being mad about overages you claim you'll never reach.

today's bandwidth hogs are tomorrow average users you may not be milked today but you will be.
alarson83
join:2007-01-06
West Des Moines, IA

alarson83

said by bluedyedvd:

today's bandwidth hogs are tomorrow average users you may not be milked today but you will be.

Exactly. Does anyone have any faith that mediacom will increase the limits as average usage goes up with more people using more streaming video?

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to bluedyedvd

to bluedyedvd
said by bluedyedvd:

said by 88615298:

said by CosmicDebri:

Mediacom is going to shit bricks with the new gen console games having built in Twtich TV streaming
just wait till PISSED OFF parents call wondering why there bill is double because little jonny streamed Halo all month

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to Klarth

Premium Member

to Klarth
said by Klarth:

Hope this gets posted to the main page. Unfortunately I doubt Mediacom is capable of being shamed given their brazen cash grabbing antics of the past. I see the meter is reflecting the new limits now. Will usage prior to the 7th result in these lovely overages?

only reason i knew was because i came here to day.. i have a mediacom email but i log in to it once every few months just to check up with samknows.

and yeah this is total bullcrap. guess ill shoot off some letters to my congress critters and my local "franchise authority" (the freakin mayor of all people) even tho it wont do any good..
bluedyedvd
join:2007-04-15
Overland Park, KS

bluedyedvd to alarson83

to alarson83
I have a friend who lives in Nashville one of comcast "test" markets well last year i was trying to explain to him about how bad caps are and he was like i don't have to worry i don't download movies or do any of that illegal stuff. I don't come anywhere close to 300 gb a month. A couple months ago he calls and said he got his first warning from comcast I couldn't help but say I told you so
psdp
join:2011-01-20
Cedar Rapids, IA

psdp to thedragonmas

to thedragonmas
said by thedragonmas:

said by Klarth:

only reason i knew was because i came here to day.. i have a mediacom email but i log in to it once every few months just to check up with samknows.

Same here, this is the first I've heard or seen of it-- and I do actually have an active mchsi email for some current uses, and I do actually read my bills (I even went and looked at them again just in case). If I hadn't come here tonight, I wouldn't have had any clue what was apparently going to be effective in about 2 weeks%u2026