not
@comcast.net

1 edit

not

Anon

[Caps] Comcast New 300GB Monthly Limit And Overage Charges

Well, this is some BS!!!

Dear XFINITY Internet Customer:

At Comcast, we recognize that our customers use the Internet for different reasons and have unique data needs. Starting September 1, 2013, Comcast will trial a new monthly data plan in this area, which will increase the amount of data included in your XFINITY Internet Service to 300 GB and provide more choice and flexibility.

What this means for You

The vast majority of XFINITY customers use far less than 300 GB of data in a month. Based upon your recent usage history, it appears this new data plan will have no impact upon you, and you won't need to do anything, or change your Internet usage. If you are not sure about your monthly data usage, please refer to the Track and Manage Your Usage section below.

We want our customers to use the Internet for everything they want and your service will not be limited to 300 GB . While we believe that 300 GB is more than enough to meet the Internet usage needs of most customers, Comcast will automatically add blocks of 50 GB to your account for an additional $10, should you exceed the 300 GB included in your plan in a month.

In order for our customers to get accustomed to this new data plan, we are implementing a three-month courtesy program. That means you will not be billed for the first three times you exceed 300 GB included in the data plan during a 12 month period. Should your usage exceed 300 GB a fourth time during any 12-month period, an additional 50 GB will automatically be allocated to your account and you will be billed $10 for that data and each additional 50 GB of data in excess of 300 GB during that month and any subsequent months your usage exceeds 300 GB.

Please note that this is a consumer trial. Comcast may modify or discontinue this trial at any time. However, we will notify you in advance of any such change.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

Re: Comcast New 300GB Monthly Limit And Overage Charges

Where is your area?

chizetown
join:2003-10-19
Elizabethtown, KY

chizetown to not

to not
I got one today as well, my area is central KY.

dodgetech2
join:2002-01-01
Gouldsboro, PA

dodgetech2 to not

to not
Well how nice of them.........sure, 300Gb is a lot of data, but its not that much in a house with teenagers and multiple streaming devices...Netflix is running 24/7 in my house on 3 or 4 different TVs...
so glad I dumped Comcast like a bad habit as soon as I got the chance

hyphenated
@comcastbusiness.net

hyphenated

Anon

All ISPs will move to metered usage eventually right? And the Cap will get lower, and lower, and lower. They're just trying to break it to us easy right now.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to dodgetech2

Premium Member

to dodgetech2
said by dodgetech2:

300Gb is a lot of data

Not even. I use over 100GB/mo alone on just 720p video podcasts on my cell.

I feel like one person could easily go over 300gb with just streaming alone.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

The cap is just Comcast's way to slow the onslaught of online video providers from eating away at their cable TV revenues.

Moves like this are why Comcast's internet business should be separated (as in, a different company) from the content business and the cable TV business.

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84 to not

Premium Member

to not

Re: [Caps] Comcast New 300GB Monthly Limit And Overage Charges

OP are you on Performance or Blast?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to camper

MVM

to camper

said by camper:

Moves like this are why Comcast's internet business should be separated (as in, a different company) from the content business and the cable TV business.

The last time U.S DoJ tried to break up a Monopoly was in 1984; look at AT&T now!
rmdir
join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

rmdir

They should be but it will never happen. I said the same thing about AT&T and UVerse when they announced caps but UVerse would not be counted in the cap, only competing content providers would.

kbrady1979
join:2005-10-20
Franklin, KY

kbrady1979 to not

to not

The Comcast Nashville market has had a 300GB/month cap for as long as I've been with them. The bad thing is technically, I can blow through my monthly cap in ONE day. Also, the 300GB cap is for every tier of internet service available.......from their lowest service to their 105Mbps service.
generix
join:2004-09-21
Savannah, GA

generix to not

to not
I just got this same email in Savannah, GA. I am on the Blast package.

I've only been on Blast post-cap suspension, but my usage meter shows 557, 571, 410 for the past 3 months, and 69 GB already for this month. Not very happy about this considering how easy it would be to add higher caps for different tiers of service. I do realize I am a "heavy" user, but don't feel like a higher tier should be subjected to the same caps as the lower, slower tier.
rmdir
Chicago, IL

rmdir

You guys getting it to your Comcast email? I haven't seen anything, at least yet.
generix
Savannah, GA

generix

Yes, got it on both email accounts I have associated with that Comcast account.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to not

to not
It's nothing but a money grabbing sham!
shutdownhnow
join:2013-07-10
Murfreesboro, TN

shutdownhnow to not

to not
I was hoping the trial would end with Comcast deciding they didn't need a cap. Looks like they went the opposite way. At least they could have used the Tuscon system instead of the Nashville system.

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84

Premium Member

said by shutdownhnow:

I was hoping the trial would end with Comcast deciding they didn't need a cap. Looks like they went the opposite way.

I was hoping that too
Anyways, this is why I cannot "cord cut" yet because I know once I do, I would easily hit my cap so fast. Yet I can watch all my favorite tv shows and more on Xfinity without eating up bandwidth.
egeek84

egeek84 to not

Premium Member

to not
FYI, the cap page was updated today with new info

»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· unching/
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

That's quite some new info wrt the "Flexible-Data Option "

In the Fresno, California, market, we will begin trialing a Flexible-Data Option specifically designed for casual or light Internet users who typically use 5 GB of data or less a month. This option will be available only to Economy Plus customers and will provide a $5 credit if a customer%u2019s total monthly data usage is less than or equal to 5 GB per month. However, if a customer that chooses this option uses more than 5 GB of data in any given month, then she will not receive the $5 credit, and will be charged an additional $1 for each gigabyte of data used over the 5 GB included in the Flexible-Data Option.

In Central Kentucky, Savannah, GA and Jackson, MS, we will begin a trial which will increase our data usage allowance for all XFINITY Internet tiers to 300 GB per month and also offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks (e.g., $10 per 50 GB). During this trial, XFINITY Internet Economy Plus customers in these markets can choose to enroll in the Flexible-Data Option which will modify their data usage allowance from 300 GB to 5 GB, and provide a $5 credit if their total monthly data usage is less than or equal to 5 GB per month. If customers choose this option and uses more than 5 GB of data in any given month, then they will not receive the $5 credit and will be charged an additional $1 for each gigabyte of data used over the 5 GB included in the Flexible-Data Option.

We believe that the approach we are taking with our data trials is fair because it means those who use more pay more and those who use less can now pay less.

hyphenated
@mycingular.net

hyphenated

Anon

Wow. On the flex plan 100GB over = $100 (- your 5 credit lol)

And $20 with the other trial.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk to shutdownhnow

Premium Member

to shutdownhnow
Utah system is still no cap. I hope they don't go for that, I in the past 3 months have used 325, 567 and 470. So far this month I am at 71GB. That is netflix streaming, all kinds of streaming really.

Now when my kids go back to school that should decrease but still. 300GB these days isn't enough, especially with the streaming services offering higher quality streams

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS

said by NormanS:

said by camper:

The last time U.S DoJ tried to break up a Monopoly was in 1984; look at AT&T now!

Point taken. But also look at long distance rates now compared to then.....
zp_
join:2005-02-22
Kentucky

1 edit

zp_ to shutdownhnow

to shutdownhnow

said by shutdownhnow:

I was hoping the trial would end with Comcast deciding they didn't need a cap. Looks like they went the opposite way. At least they could have used the Tuscon system instead of the Nashville system.

You really thought Comcast would do away with something that makes them more money at little to no extra costs?

Looks like they are finally starting to slowly roll out these "trials" to new areas.

The biggest complaint (other than the fact these caps/overages exists in the first place) I have is that the extra 50GB blocks of data/bandwidth you "purchase" doesn't roll over to the next month(s) if you don't use it all. But of course they couldn't gouge more money out of you every month if they did that.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

ArrayList to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS

different AT&T. This one is still tamer than the former.
rmdir
Chicago, IL

rmdir to not

to not

CEO's are under pressure from Wall Street and shareholders to constantly increase revenue. If people don't go over the caps which produces more income, Comcast will lower the caps until they do.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 recommendation

RR Conductor to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS

said by NormanS:

said by camper:

The old AT&T was better imho
RR Conductor

RR Conductor to not

Premium Member

to not

No email up here in Mendocino County in NW CA, I guess we're still capless
generix
Savannah, GA

generix to rmdir

to rmdir
said by rmdir:

CEO's are under pressure from Wall Street and shareholders to constantly increase revenue. If people don't go over the caps which produces more income, Comcast will lower the caps until they do.

Yes, but they will actually lose money from people like me who upgraded plans specifically because the cap was suspended. I'll simply downgrade back to Blast which reduces their guaranteed monthly and I'll also keep track of my downloading so that I never go over the cap.

It's just annoying to have to monitor my high-speed internet to make sure I'm not using the high-speed part of it too much.

And yes, I know things won't change, this is the new reality.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to RR Conductor

Premium Member

to RR Conductor

At least there was actual innovation that came out of the old AT&T.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad to egeek84

MVM

to egeek84

said by egeek84:

FYI, the cap page was updated today with new info

»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· unching/

Yes, and there is a new page on the expanded trial markets here: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· pansion/

There is also an article about this on the MCN site this morning:

Comcast to Expand Usage-Based Internet Trials
To Debut Policies Targeted to Heavy and Light Internet Users in Central Kentucky; Savannah, Ga.; and Jackson, Miss., on Sept. 1

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - August 9, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· s/144883

And a DSLR News item about it now too: »Comcast Expands Usage Cap, Overage Fee Trials [58] comments