spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

To be honest, Mediacrap legitimately has congestion issues.

When I was on Mediacom, things started out fairly decent. But they overbuilt rather quickly into traditionally Knology territory (which was even worse at the time), and it didn't take long for Mediacom to have significant congestion issues where I was. A complaint or two ended up putting me on another node, which alleviated things for a couple weeks until that node filled up. Primetime usage on Mediacom was basically worthless.

Of course attacking it from an infrastructure standpoint rather than a shareholder profit standpoint would probably serve their customers better, but hey... what do the shareholders care?
silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Re: To be honest, Mediacrap legitimately has congestion issues.

I know if it great fun to blame everything on the shareholders, but Mediacom is a privately owned company and these caps have nothing to do with that.
SunnyD

Madison, AL

Private companies still have share/stakeholders.
silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Yes they do. But this move benefits them in absolutely no way. Their caps are generous enough that it will truly not affect 97% of their customers. The 3% it does affect are probably either going to reduce their usage or switch providers. Neither of which has any positive impact on shareholders.
SunnyD

Madison, AL

1 recommendation

No, this move benefits Mediacom in every way possible - higher profits on existing customers (assuming zero net loss) with zero infrastructure investment. Pure profit.

It affects customers negatively in every way imaginable. Higher costs with zero tangible gains.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
But the 3% reducing their usage has no benefit to Mediacom or the other users at all. Contrary to the propaganda they're not an issue.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
Except caps have nothing to do with preventing congestion. What prevents congestion is not overselling their network or throttling the data rate.