BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to kmdean

Premium Member

to kmdean

Re: [TV] Bright House BHTV for Web Browser Now Available!

said by kmdean:

Apparently it wants me to give up cookie privacy in my browser as well. No thanks.

»bhtv.brighthouse.com/safari

Um dean...you can easily toss the cookies when done...this is NOT a big deal.
kmdean
join:2012-06-22
Orlando, FL

kmdean

It's not BHN's cookies I'm concerned about. Having people set it to never opens them up to advertisement / tracking / other potentially nefarious cookies just to watch videos here. Sure you can try to remember to toggle it on and off, but I've never come across a site that required me to reduce my privacy settings just to work with it. Just seems to be a bad decision. Oh well.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by kmdean:

It's not BHN's cookies I'm concerned about. Having people set it to never opens them up to advertisement / tracking / other potentially nefarious cookies just to watch videos here. Sure you can try to remember to toggle it on and off, but I've never come across a site that required me to reduce my privacy settings just to work with it. Just seems to be a bad decision. Oh well.

You are entirely too paranoid about this stuff...leave it on....once a night toss your cookies be done with it....seriously nefarious cookie dropping is highly overrated...if somebody wants something on you the last thing they will do these days is use cookies...your habits are much easier obtained in other ways...
kmdean
Orlando, FL

1 recommendation

kmdean

No need to call me paranoid for using Safari's default browser setting. It's not just my personal habit or even a habit to begin with. It's even being discussed to be the default for Firefox as well and it's pretty much recommended to block 3rd party cookies on any security site out there. If you actively toss your cookies once a night, sounds like you're more the paranoid one. BHN should have looked into using 1st party cookies like the majority of sites use. I guess you guys only ever want to hear positive feedback, so I'll leave it at that.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by kmdean:

No need to call me paranoid for using Safari's default browser setting. It's not just my personal habit or even a habit to begin with. It's even being discussed to be the default for Firefox as well and it's pretty much recommended to block 3rd party cookies on any security site out there. If you actively toss your cookies once a night, sounds like you're more the paranoid one. BHN should have looked into using 1st party cookies like the majority of sites use. I guess you guys only ever want to hear positive feedback, so I'll leave it at that.

You realize that by leaving that at default it excludes you from participating in many sites and they aren't going to change things for Firefox. Many cookies do nothing but assist with the user experience on a particular site and has nothing to do with tracking whatsoever. Contrary to popular myth cookies all evil.
kmdean
Orlando, FL

kmdean

Maybe you don't understand that the default is blocking 3rd party cookies and not all cookies. I haven't been excluded from participating in any site since most do not require 3rd party cookies. 3rd party cookies are added by domains different than the site you're on such as for inserted Ad tracking of browser history.

Also, gotta love how the initial BHN warning info that comes up tries to make it sound like it's because Safari has security issues that the 3rd party cookies are blocked by default, yet they still direct you to turn that off. That's just spin from BHN to make a requirement they couldn't figure out a workaround for sound good and all Apple's fault. Not only is it the default for Safari, it's the default for every iPhone and iPad out there as well.

No one's saying all cookies are evil, but that doesn't mean you should just tell everyone to open the door wide for accepting every cookie out there from every site. Seems pretty short-sighted.

Clearly at this point it doesn't matter. Your site's requirements are what they are and I'm not doing anything unreasonable by pointing out that it's odd to require users to lesson the security of their browser in this day and age of internet exploits and privacy concerns. If there was a way to just allow 3rd party cookies on this site while blocking others, I'd say great, since then people could choose to adjust just for this service and not expose them on every other site they visit, but that's a failing of the browser in not offering that capability.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by kmdean:

Maybe you don't understand that the default is blocking 3rd party cookies and not all cookies. I haven't been excluded from participating in any site since most do not require 3rd party cookies. 3rd party cookies are added by domains different than the site you're on such as for inserted Ad tracking of browser history.

Also, gotta love how the initial BHN warning info that comes up tries to make it sound like it's because Safari has security issues that the 3rd party cookies are blocked by default, yet they still direct you to turn that off. That's just spin from BHN to make a requirement they couldn't figure out a workaround for sound good and all Apple's fault. Not only is it the default for Safari, it's the default for every iPhone and iPad out there as well.

No one's saying all cookies are evil, but that doesn't mean you should just tell everyone to open the door wide for accepting every cookie out there from every site. Seems pretty short-sighted.

Clearly at this point it doesn't matter. Your site's requirements are what they are and I'm not doing anything unreasonable by pointing out that it's odd to require users to lesson the security of their browser in this day and age of internet exploits and privacy concerns. If there was a way to just allow 3rd party cookies on this site while blocking others, I'd say great, since then people could choose to adjust just for this service and not expose them on every other site they visit, but that's a failing of the browser in not offering that capability.

I do not know why it always comes down to this with you but here let me explain. As a webmaster of many years I know cookies and know them well. I also know that cookies have been given a real bad name in the press despite the good they also serve and because of it people now go a bit cookie crazy and it's totally unnecessary. It's kinda like Java...you ask most people and they will tell you Java is the most evil thing on the planet web wise because that's what they have read or heard despite being one of the most secure platforms there is. Has it had its moments yes...I don't know anything that hasn't though including stuff that Apple comes out with. Now notice I didn't jab Apple for what you outlined above despite my dislike for all things Apple (and yea I have an iPad for work but...) nonetheless my point to you was your complaint while noted really shouldn't be a big deal for most people. For you yea...I'm not surprised lets face it you aren't known for seeing the glass half full kmdean. I've come to accept the fact that nothing we do no matter how good it might be will be good enough to earn the KMdean seal of approval. That's okay...but I have hope one day you might let one sneak out just to prove me wrong I look forward to the moment... Cheers....
Boilermaker
join:2001-12-20
Carmel, IN

Boilermaker to kmdean

to kmdean
There is a setting in Firefox to force all cookies to session-only, so when you close the browser the cookies are gone. This is different than having the browser clear all cookies when you close it which is a different setting. Also, you can add exceptions to the session-only cookies based upon site or domain to keep cookies between restarts. I would call this the opt-in approach.

Also, you can run Ghostery and Adblock Plus (or Edge) addons to be truly paranoid. Does Safari have a Privacy Mode?
kmdean
Orlando, FL

1 edit

kmdean to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert See Profile
I do not know why it always comes down to this with you but here let me explain. As a webmaster of many years I know cookies and know them well. I also know that cookies have been given a real bad name in the press despite the good they also serve and because of it people now go a bit cookie crazy and it's totally unnecessary. It's kinda like Java...you ask most people and they will tell you Java is the most evil thing on the planet web wise because that's what they have read or heard despite being one of the most secure platforms there is. Has it had its moments yes...I don't know anything that hasn't though including stuff that Apple comes out with. Now notice I didn't jab Apple for what you outlined above despite my dislike for all things Apple (and yea I have an iPad for work but...) nonetheless my point to you was your complaint while noted really shouldn't be a big deal for most people. For you yea...I'm not surprised lets face it you aren't known for seeing the glass half full kmdean. I've come to accept the fact that nothing we do no matter how good it might be will be good enough to earn the KMdean seal of approval. That's okay...but I have hope one day you might let one sneak out just to prove me wrong I look forward to the moment... Cheers....

:

No need to make it personal like you've been doing. I only point out issues that I find. I don't need to be called paranoid for using the browser default setting and questioning why I should change from it. I'm sorry that you find it difficult when someone points out problems such as long standing bugs, features that fall short of working well or being well though out with the DVR software (which I assume you're referring to) that hang around for years without changing. I take care in being as detailed as possible with the issues I find and coming up with logic-based solutions to pass on in the hopes that it reaches some fellow programmers that can take action, but it seems most of the time I'm just met with a "it's only a bug in your mind" or "it's not important" type responses. If I didn't care I wouldn't take the time. I deal with other developers all the time without issue, because they don't immediately brush things aside.

I've designed, programmed and hosted many websites on my own dedicated servers along with kiosk and cd/dvd-rom type software, so I'm very aware on how things work. I'm also aware it's usually a last resort option to require a customer to change their browser settings to cater to a site, especially in Privacy / Security areas. While it may not be a big deal to most, I felt it was worth pointing out and that's all, which is all I initially did. I also understand 3rd party cookies are likely required due to it using services provided by a 3rd party, embedded or framed within the brighthouse domain. I understand that can be a difficult thing to get around if the 3rd party doesn't allow or provide for it and some sites other than yours have come up against the same issue, which is why Firefox is still discussing blocking 3rd party cookies by default rather than having already implemented it yet. I'm sure eventually better solutions will come but that takes time.

No one is saying block all cookies and sure most cookies are fine that are created for their intended purpose which is why I said I had no problems with BHN's cookies. People can choose what they want to do. I didn't tell anyone else to not change their settings.

No need to bring up Java either since it doesn't really have any bearing here and at least with Safari now you can enable it on a pe r site basis which would be a nice feature for cookies as well. Heck most people don't even know the difference between Java and Javascript.

No need to even slightly mention your dislike for all things Apple. What's the point of that? I don't get into Apple vs Windows or any other platform battles if I can avoid it, since most are uninformed of both sides of the debate.

Also, why should we not have a high standard for things? Why stick with acceptable mediocrity especially when a company like BHN is giving us an area here to voice our concerns, thought and ideas? That is part of the point of this forum, right? I've always tried to be civil and not make anything personal, but honestly sometimes you can be very helpful to people which is impressive, but other times you can be very frustrating in your responses I read to not just me. Maybe we're just two type A personalities butting heads, just know that I only ever want things to improve and move in the direction of working the best they can, otherwise things stagnate and start falling behind. So, I'll continue to report bugs and issues that I find regardless of the responses I get in the hopes that they are passed along to the appropriate parties.

kmdean

kmdean to Boilermaker

to Boilermaker
said by Boilermaker:

There is a setting in Firefox to force all cookies to session-only, so when you close the browser the cookies are gone. This is different than having the browser clear all cookies when you close it which is a different setting. Also, you can add exceptions to the session-only cookies based upon site or domain to keep cookies between restarts. I would call this the opt-in approach.

Also, you can run Ghostery and Adblock Plus (or Edge) addons to be truly paranoid. Does Safari have a Privacy Mode?

To clarify, I'm not configured to do anything that could be considered paranoid. I'm not tossing my cookies every day, nor am I using any extra tight security options. I'm simply using the default setting in Safari which shouldn't be considered paranoid. I do use Ghostery, more because some site uses so many liked ad services that it actually creates a performance hit because some are not as quick to load as others. So blocking them can speed things up quite a bit.

Beachie
Where is Shelly Miscavige?
join:2001-07-12
Saint Petersburg, FL

Beachie to kmdean

to kmdean
said by kmdean:

Also, why should we not have a high standard for things? Why stick with acceptable mediocrity especially when a company like BHN is giving us an area here to voice our concerns, thought and ideas? That is part of the point of this forum, right?

This particular forum isn't provided by BHN, just sayin'.