share rss forum feed

FirebirdTN

join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Off Topic: Wirelss Bridge

I know this isn't the place, but I also know there are quite a few real sharp cookies in this forum.

I need some recommendations for a wireless bridge. That is one area of networking I have never set up, and am quite overwhelmed at what exactly I need. Looks like most routers these days include bridge functionality, but I really don't want to buy two routers, when a cheaper, simpler bridge setup will work.

The requirements:

It needs to be RELIABLE above all else. It needs to be CHEAP. It does NOT have to be fast.

I need to connect two wired LAN segments about 2-300 feet apart. The only data that will be transmitted across the bridge will be simple text.

Thanks,

-Alan

JPedroT

join:2005-02-18
Its more about the environment you are will place them when you want to have a little range. Basically what tx/rx values are the on the radios and gains/losses on the antennas.

With that said, my go to devices are these »www.airties.com/products/wap/Air···sc.tab=0
Maybe not cheap nor available where you live.

--
"Perl is executable line noise, Python is executable pseudo-code."

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

reply to FirebirdTN

FirebirdTN

Brighton, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to FirebirdTN
Wow! Thanks for the tips, but this is going to show how ignorant I am when it comes to wireless bridges (guess I didn't think this through):

What is the difference between "access point" and "access point/client bridge"?

I am really clueless. I guess I imagined when you purchased a "wireless bridge" you would get 2 devices (one for each network segment). I am "assuming" that is not the case? So I take it you have to buy an "access point" for one end, then the "accesspoint/client bridge" for the other?

Also, now that I think about it....2-300ft isn't far, but isn't that also asking a lot for a typical wireless router/access point?

I am sorry for such stupid questions. I have done countless router setups. I've done quite a few wireless router setups, both as routers, and as "bridged" access points to allow wireless clients to be on the same network as the wired ones, but bridging two wired network segments is brand new to me.

Thanks!

-Alan

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to FirebirdTN
said by FirebirdTN:

It needs to be RELIABLE above all else. It needs to be CHEAP.

In my 20 years of experience, you have mutually exclusive requirements here, especially when it comes to wireless.

You don't need routers for this. You need wireless access points that include a bridge option. For this purpose I've successfully used 3Com and Cisco gear. I started with ZyAIR gear but it fell under your 'cheap' category and was a constant headache.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to FirebirdTN
Another voter for enGenius »www.engeniustech.com/business/Di···88_m331/
I have the ECB9500 (discontinued) but it is rock solid.

Alternatively airMAX long range bridge »www.ubnt.com/airmax#airMaxHardware

FirebirdTN

Brighton, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to lorennerol
said by FirebirdTN:

It needs to be RELIABLE above all else. It needs to be CHEAP.

said by lorennerol:

In my 20 years of experience, you have mutually exclusive requirements here, especially when it comes to wireless.

I did kind of think of that...But in my industry we always ask:

"Do you want it Cheap, Reliable and Quick?"

And of course when they say YES, we always say:

"Well, pick TWO out of the three, because there is no such thing."

Thanks for the info. I will check out the options presented here and do some additional research this weekend.

I guess the product I *assumed* I was looking for doesn't exist. The only wireless bridges I have set up that do exactly what I am trying to do now are long haul (20 miles? I can't remember) setups such as the Motorola Canopy system that is way overkill for this task. I was thinking that I was looking for a much much scaled down short range similar product.

Thanks again!

-Alan

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to FirebirdTN
Any of these that have Bridge are what you're looking for. You'd need a pair if you don't already have one.
»www.engeniustech.com/business/Di···88_m331/
or outdoor
»www.engeniustech.com/business/Di···89_m331/
or here
»www.ubnt.com/airmax#airMaxHardware

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to FirebirdTN
said by FirebirdTN:

I guess the product I *assumed* I was looking for doesn't exist.

Most business/enterprise grade access points have a bridge mode.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to FirebirdTN
Sorry, can't help, I am still stuck on trying to imagine what a sharp cookie looks like?