Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

[TV] NextBox 3.0

So - I see Rogers has just launched the next gen of their whole-home PVR... record upto 8 channels simultaneously, and doubled the size of the hard drive...

Thinking I'm going to call in and swap my 2.0 for a 3.0 later today; as the current 2-channel tuner does bite us in the ass every once in a while. There's not that many shows worth recording, but it seems they are all on at the same time...

Anyone seen it yet, or looked into it at all?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

Yep, I am seriously considering the NextBox 3.0 BUT i am also seriously considering DISH T.V.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to LazMan

There is quite a long thread at the Rogers Community Forums. Early reports are positive, but I think I might just bide my time!
»communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo···id/11767

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2
reply to LazMan

With 8 tuners, you essentially have 8 cable boxes. I'm thinking the cable box has a built in amplifier or rogers will have to installed one separately because it will not work in most households where there already are at least 5 splits after the drop. It basically means 8 new outlets after the 5 already existing outlets. It will require amplification, no ifs, ands, or buts.

And imagine if a tenant in the same household also wanted nextbox 3.0. That will require serious amplification.

Dudley3939

@rogers.com

I have a Nextbox 3.0, their is no amplifier required. This device is really awesome, very happy so far. It also has a built in Docsis 3 modem for future use, say for IPTV. The unit is very responsive and fast, no lag time, the IPG works really well, and channel changes are quicker. It's worth trying out

jonase

join:2010-12-15
reply to LazMan

I also have it. Switched out my 2.0 as fast as I could (hated it after the new guide...). New box is great, sleeker (they moved the power brick out of the box) and I find that HD actually looks better. All operations are faster now (channel switching, recording, guide, on-demand etc). If you can switch, don't wait... Just do it.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON

said by jonase:

If you can switch, don't wait... Just do it.

And how much do these new wonder boxes cost to buy outright? You'd certainly be farther ahead going to a loan shark than paying Rogers outrageous rental fees into perpetuity.

LazMan
Premium
canada

500 to buy, 25/mth to rent; 17/mth to rent-to-own...

Every time I buy a box, I get burned by the box failing immediately after the warranty is up.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to elitefx

While the early reviews do look good, I have to wonder how long it will take Rogers to screw up the new box with one of their famous firmware updates!

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

2 edits
reply to Dudley3939

I bit the dust and got one. VERY nice. Responsive and the guide is so much superior ... It's a pleasure to use but will require getting used too. Very dramatic Differrence in performance and significant improvents in HD quality.

Anyone deciding to get one should know that it takes 20 minutes to set up..... So be patients. Mine required 2 boot's before the time clock appeared plus an additional 5 minutes for another load of something and I have no Idea what that last load was for ...

elitefx

London, ON

said by mozerd:

......plus an additional 5 minutes for another load of something and I have no Idea what that last load was for ...

Probably Rogers installing "I spy with my little eye"........

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to mozerd

Mind explaining this "significant improvements in HD quality"? Last I checked, Rogers has not changed their compression, the tuners, I very much doubt, would have any real noticeable picture quality. Are you just seeing what you want to see?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

I have [had] 2 HD8300 and 2 big screen TV's so I compared the images I was seeing on both. I removed one of the HD8300 and substituted the NextBox 3 and the images shown with the NextBox 3 are much sharper plus the audio is also better. So I suspect that the NextBox 3.0 which in fact is a CISCO 9865HD has far superior circuits doing a much better job. I will try and get technical info on the 9865 just to satisfy my curiosity.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

technocar2

Brampton, ON

said by mozerd:

I have [had] 2 HD8300 and 2 big screen TV's so I compared the images I was seeing on both. I removed one of the HD8300 and substituted the NextBox 3 and the images shown with the NextBox 3 are much sharper plus the audio is also better. So I suspect that the NextBox 3.0 which in fact is a CISCO 9865HD has far superior circuits doing a much better job. I will try and get technical info on the 9865 just to satisfy my curiosity.

My first guess is that its not actually 8 tunners, it might really be 3 tunner box, 2 for cable and one for docsis. The docsis tunner might be pulling in 6 streams and hence the ability to record 8 programs combine with the other two tunners. Just a guess here, I really need to see the diagnostic screen to see how many actually tunners it has.

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

said by technocar2:

said by mozerd:

My first guess is that its not actually 8 tunners, it might really be 3 tunner box, 2 for cable and one for docsis. The docsis tunner might be pulling in 6 streams and hence the ability to record 8 programs combine with the other two tunners. Just a guess here, I really need to see the diagnostic screen to see how many actually tunners it has.

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···reen.pdf
Read the docs, it's a 8 tuner pvr. Supports 6 simultaneous recordings. The docsis 3 modem is for iptv which is coming down the road.
--
Hello

technocar2

Brampton, ON

said by aereolis:

said by technocar2:

said by mozerd:

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···reen.pdf
Read the docs, it's a 8 tuner pvr. Supports 6 simultaneous recordings. The docsis 3 modem is for iptv which is coming down the road.

It doesn't actually say "8 tuners" anywhere on the specs sheet. That's why I questioned the 8 tuner claim.
Like I said, the diagnostic screen will tell you exactly how many tuners it has and the signals levels for each tuner. If someone has this box please post a pic of the diagnostic screen.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

The spec sheets you guys are reading are for the US market. In the US, the vast majority of MSOs use CableCard as their conditional access technology. The latest CableCard specification supports a maximum of 6 tuners. Hence why there is no 8 tuner model for the US market, as there would be no point. The Rogers 9865 does in fact have 8 QAM tuners and you can in fact record 8 shows simultaneously.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to technocar2

How to get the diagnostic screen and how to get back to normal ? The only button I have on my nextbox is the power button

elitefx

London, ON

2 edits

said by mozerd:

How to get the diagnostic screen and how to get back to normal ? The only button I have on my nextbox is the power button

Well, just off the top of my head: If it's Internet capable then there has to be a browser (of some sort) in which you could enter eg: 192.168.100.1 or some such thing and that should get you to where you want to be. Should be written down somewhere in the manual (who knows? it's a Rogers box).

Edit: This doesn't look far removed from the Cisco-D9865 Satellite Receiver. Probably the same setup on both units. Is there a menu button on the remote? How about an On-screen display menu for setup and status? Just tossing the ideas out there.

technocar2

Brampton, ON

1 edit
reply to mozerd

Try this:
1) Press and hold the Exit key for two seconds until the front power LED flashes on the cable box
2) In quick succession, press the down arrow button twice, then press the 2 button

Then scroll through the diagnostic pages and look for a page referring to tuners.
Use the arrow keys to scroll around.

And to exit the diagnostic screen just press exit.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

Thanks technocar2 -- your instructions worked. I can confirm that the CISCO 9865HD has 8 tuners. they appear on 4 separate horizontal scrolling pages [2 tuners per page] -- if they all appeared on one page I would have taken a pic and posted.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

500 to buy, 25/mth to rent; 17/mth to rent-to-own...

I won't ever buy, and I won't pay the obscene monthly rental fees. When I got hooked up in May they discounted the rental fee and an additional $20 a month for the first 6 months. 30 days before that 6 months is up I'm calling to cancel. Unless they maintain that discount permanently, I cut the cord and go OTA - antenna already installed. Add Netflix and NHL GameCenter live, I'm done. I'll just hit the sports pub across the street for the Leafs' games I don't get.

said by LazMan:

Every time I buy a box, I get burned by the box failing immediately after the warranty is up.

It's in their firmware...

[PSEUDO]

if ((box = customer_owned) && (warranty_period = expired)) {
pretend_to_be_bricked = true,
}

[/PSEUDO]

Mike
--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

technocar2

Brampton, ON
reply to mozerd

said by mozerd:

Thanks technocar2 -- your instructions worked. I can confirm that the CISCO 9865HD has 8 tuners. they appear on 4 separate horizontal scrolling pages [2 tuners per page] -- if they all appeared on one page I would have taken a pic and posted.

Nice and thanks for the confirmation.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to dillyhammer

Oh man, thanks for the laugh, I think that was one of the greatest posts I have read in a long time.

Surprised353

@rogers.com

So can we just exchange our Nextbox 2 PVR for a Nextbox 3 PVR at a Rogers store?

LazMan
Premium
canada

Don't know yet... Going to call Rogers this week, and see... Either a substantial discount on the Nextbox 2; or an even-money swap to the 3 are my goals.

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to Surprised353

said by Surprised353 :

So can we just exchange our Nextbox 2 PVR for a Nextbox 3 PVR at a Rogers store?

Yes. Techs are instructed not to swap on request. You must go to retail or call in and have a work order created for a tech to come.
--
Hello

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

It's in their firmware...

[PSEUDO]

if ((box = customer_owned) && (warranty_period = expired)) {
pretend_to_be_bricked = true,
}

[/PSEUDO]

Haha... i guess i've been lucky... I've had 3 owned boxes, one is like 7 years old maybe older (3250HD) and a 8300HD PVR which is about 4 years old, and a newer Cisco non PVR (i forget the model) which is about 2 years old now.

Mind you i've probably just jinxed it all. LOL.
--

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by HiVolt:

Haha... i guess i've been lucky... I've had 3 owned boxes, one is like 7 years old maybe older (3250HD) and a 8300HD PVR which is about 4 years old, and a newer Cisco non PVR (i forget the model) which is about 2 years old now.

I have an 8300HD that's getting pretty old too...got it used several years ago (and no idea how old it was when I got it), and haven't ever had a problem with it. I did replace the HD to increase storage capacity shortly after getting it though, so that may have helped with the longevity.

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to LazMan

Just saw the 3.0 in-store. It seems to be faster than the previous gen, but it has the same shitty IPG. Pointless.